A River of Dreams

I feel the need to make a further comment about:
"our meddling intellect
Mis-shapes the beauteous forms of things
We murder to dissect."

Wordsworth was clearly ("murder") making the point that deconstruction and rational and logical enquiries are not appropriate to the 'beauteous forms of things".

Yes... I am saying that is not the whole 'story'!

I would say that 'our meddling intellect' CAN mis-shape our appreciation of the forms of things in all artistic media, but that is not the same as saying it always does, which WW seems to be implying.

I feel very protective of WW, because I was only in my twenties when I did a full dissertation (paper) on theComplete works of WW as part of further graduate studies.

Thank you Dominique for posting your poetry again. It is very prophetic and full of rich meaning and depth.

Blue----First off, on Aesthetics (quite ironically I am an Aesthetician, not in the sense you mean though)

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpages/RefArticle.aspx?refid=761576304#endads

Where exactly can we become educated about this universal definition of aesthetics you keep referring to?

I hate to use this woman as an example, but Marilyn "Vos Savant" has stated she think's Pablo Picasso is absolute trash and anyone who likes him is an idiot. (which upset me since it is art...)

On a side note, this is probably not the appropriate place to post this, what does anyone think of this?
Body and Soul

All Bibles or sacred codes have been the causes of the following Errors:

1. That Man has two real existing principles: Viz: a Body & a Soul.

2. That Energy, call'd Evil, is alone from the Body; & that Reason, call'd Good, is alone from the Soul.

3. That God will torment Man in Eternity for following his Energies.
But the following Contraries to these are True:

1. Man has no Body distinct from his Soul; for that call'd Body is a portion of the Soul discern'd by the five Senses, the chief inlets of Soul in this age.

2. Energy is the only life, and is from the Body; and Reason is the bound or outward circumference of Energy.

3. Energy is Eternal Delight.
I just came across this in a mathematics book I was reading

There seems to be one sticking point here, so let's nail it or forget it. Blue keeps to referring to a "universal consensus" as distinct from changing tastes. I am saying that every time people think there is a universal consensus, it turns out to be a temporary fad, and we must conclude that there is no universal aesthetic. Rules can be drawn up by one person, and different rules by another. Who is to decide which is right?

Jack Vettriani perfectly demonstrates that brilliantly executed tosh is still tosh.

I recommend to Dominique the central portion of the WW poem I quoted: "and I have felt a sense sublime of something far more deeply interfused... whose dwelling is the light of setting suns and the round ocean and the living air and in the mind of man... a motion and a spirit that impells all thinking things, all objects of all thought and rolls through all things"... (Sorry about the crude rendition, Blue, but that's from memory.) I am with you Dominique, there must be more than the measurable, something we can sense in our souls, which is not accessible to our physical selves.

VC

Aesthetics is a branch of philosophy, at least as old as Plato, that studies beauty and taste, including their specific manifestations in the tragic, the comic, and the sublime. Its central issues include questions about the origin and status of aesthetic judgments: are they objective statements about genuine features of the world or purely subjective expressions of personal attitudes; should they include any reference to the intentions of artists or the reactions of patrons; and how are they related to judgments of moral value? More specifically, aesthetics considers each of these issues as they arise for various arts, including art, architecture, painting, sculpture, music, dance, theatre, and literature. Aesthetics is a significant component of the philosophical work of Plato, Aristotle, Kant, and Santayana.

Of course art appreciation is in the eyes of the beholder, although there are certain elements that we can define across a group of paintings, for example, that can be generalized or delineated, and hence discussed and analyzed on their own merits.

Generally, visual art adheres to the aesthetic principles of symmetry/asymmetry, focal point, pattern, contrast, perspective, 3D dimensionality, movement, rhythm, unity/Gestalt, and proportion.

You can't simply, I agree, take a sample of artwork, lay it down, critique it across aesthetic dimensions, and reach some kind of quantitative judgement as to its quality. Great paintings touch our souls; they may violate some guidelines, which I pointed out before, or lend different weights to various aesthetic principles (sometimes a piece of art veers violently from an aesthetic principle specifically for effect; the "anti-art" Dadaist movement deliberately violated as many artistic principles as possible). Yet the principle of aesthetics gives us a basis for discussion and final judgement.

While this concensus that aesthetics gives a basis for the discussions is essential, the fact that judgements related solely to personal affective responses can be claimed as the 'all' is a fault! In the appeal to the greatest number, through personal responses and aesthetic considerations, there is the appellation of 'great Art'. I do not have to like Picasso, to recognise the qualities of his artistic skills, etc.

Some as yourself seem to believe that personal affective response is the arbiter... in fact it can never be....this would mean as it does in much critical wriitng today that anybody's artistic judgement is as good as another's. It isn't, if you don't make aesthetics part of your judgements.

The fact is that stirring the human soul seems to follow aesthetic criteria appreciated from the days of ancient Greece to today- that taste is pre-eminent over personal preference.

ART is primarily skill in the medium... be it paint or music, or architecture,or literature,etc.

You seem to have ignored in your response to my last something I emphasised... that it has to be appreciated that my personal preferences can tell me I do not like this picture or that, this sculpture or that... and that has no bearing on judgements about whether the picture or sculpture is good or bad art.

I can perfectly well LIKE bad art, and LOATHE good art. recognising the worth of the work is very important.

You sound the sort of person who will accept anything so long as you personally find it artistically satisfying.... WELL... that is fine, BUT you have to recognise that what you regard as satisfying, etc., actually can be shown to follow or not follow aesthetic principles that unify views of M. Angelo's work and Picasso's.

As I have written above:
"Great paintings touch our souls; they may violate some guidelines," etc.

How does a particular work 'stir your soul', VC? How does it follow the aesthetic principles of symmetry/asymmetry, focal point, pattern, contrast, perspective, 3D dimensionality, movement, rhythm, unity/Gestalt, and proportion.

Are you going to simply ignore such concerns and be simply happy disliking a particular work of Vettriani, or do you unkindly lump them, all his works together as 'tosh'?

You see, I am not discusssing whether or not you LIKE Vettriani's work, or if I like it... we are looking for other concerns too... the skill and artistry in the performance, and the fact that some of his works satisfy and 'stir' something in people's souls.

As to your views of WW, again you seem to think he is somehow beyond criticism... the fact is that many of his more maudling pieces were found to be rather boring by audiences then and are now, being squarely placed in an hyperaesthesia of the senses, that is not very rational to say the least, but glorifies the irrational.

In itself, believing one hear rocks and stones and trees is harmless... but to build upon that with poetic declarations that are religious in nature is proof of the irrationality of the 'message' in any world beyond the poetic. The audience,quite deliberately is invited to share in the vision... which again, is fine! But.... does CONTENT, FORM, etc., literary aesthetics never play a part in your judgements?

Finally,the quote you offer Dominique proves my point:

"and I have felt a sense sublime of something far more deeply interfused... whose dwelling is the light of setting suns and the round ocean and the living air and in the mind of man... a motion and a spirit that impells all thinking things, all objects of all thought and rolls through all things"...

There is no 'spirit' that impels... if there is, pleasegive the evidence.

These are the irrational and poetic ramblings I refer to. They are beautifully expressed, but ultimately represent a mystical and metaphysical view of the real world that is just not so.
The quote shows simply how WW reacted affectively through his affective nature and nurture... for us to enjoy, ponder on --- AND approach critically with reason.

Mystics and those of religiosity often claim a 'sense of the sublime'. BUT, so what? That can be achieved via LSD and other hallucinogenics - even alcohol, or even self flagellation. It is actually an affective state of an individual. It has no meaning in reality beyond self. It does not relate to the domain beyond self, the material and cognitive domain, except through 'declaration' and 'affirmation'. Accepted in these terms, we either see this as 'soul stirring' or we do not... and that has nothing to do with aesthetic judgements that should be applied to the poem, painting, piece of music or whatever.

A viewing of a baby in a pram can stir one's soul. So? A trip through the Alps can do the same.

He says the sense of the sublime IS in the light of setting suns... but it isn't. It is only in the affective nature of a supremely sensitive man with hyperaesthesia, gifted with skills, the facility for, language, and he attempts to convey his affective vision to us... and I will leave you to decide for what purpose or reason.

Remember M.Angelo worked on commissions - for money! Also read some of the letters, conversations between WW and Coleridge, and Dorothy'sconcerns..

VC
As I seem to have concentrated upon the visual, here are some aesthetic considerations for poetry, etc., beyond primary considerations of form and techniques:
In literary aesthetics the study of affect, for example, creates an awareness of the deep structures of reading and receiving literary works. Affect refers to the emotional sense created in the reader or receiver of a literary work. These affects may be broadly grouped by their mode of writing, and relationship the reader assumes with time. Catharsis is the affect of dramatic completition of action in time. Kairosis is the affect of novels whose characters become integrated in time. Kenosis is the affect of lyric poetry which creates a sense of emptiness and timelessness.

Are you simply going to say, 'I like this poem of Wordsworth, because it gives me a sense of the sublime in myself.' or 'I hate that novel 'Clockwork Orange', because it is tasteless.'?

That is what people say when they are either blind or intolerant of other opinions and aesthetic considerations. They just use their own affective nature and nurture to make judgements, without reason, as we all probably do in the instant... but then they take it no further...

That in my humble opinion is - sad.

'Good taste' could be 'good' or 'bad'... and that's a fact, if all it depends upon is the personal and affective nature of the speaker/writer.
=======
I just do not understand how you can dismiss the skills and all the works of a painter like Vettriani as 'tosh'.
That would be like saying, I dismiss all the works of a van Gogh, when he was around, simply because I think they are 'tosh'.
Try forgetting your personal prejudices, the received opinions of modern critics, and see where you end up. To dismiss his work as sentimental, for example, by judgement of some of them, may be your personal preference, but if so, I would ask you to consider the 'darker' works, and above all 'think' again.

This is a quick response though I would like to come back and expand it later.

Yes I am quite opinionated on some issues, although I can be and have been persuaded that I was wrong, and I'm happy with that. I will defend my opinions, but I will never state that they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

Rules, such as the rules of aesthetics (of which I know nothing) are a useful standard and enable dialogue on mutually understood terms between different people. This also applies to morality. Moral anarchy would be a disaster - civilisation depends on certain shared values; but it also depends on tolerance; values can and must change to stay alive. We should all respect the law of the land, but sometimes the law is wrong and must be changed. Yesterday's outlaws are sometimes tomorrow's vanguard.

No amount of respect for the law can lead you to love your country. Knowing the rules of football can't make you a good player. Knowing the rules of aesthetics won't make you a good artist. Keeping to the Ten Commandments or the Torah won't make you love God. The skill of the artist helps us to appreciate what (s)he is saying, but if that is not worth saying then the effort is wasted.

You will find millions of people throughout the ages have attested to "the sense sublime of something far more deeply interfused", including myself. But in order to sense it one needs to be open to the possibility. Many known phenomena are unexplained: telepathy, photographic memory, human computers, remote viewing, to name but a few. I think that the next great advance of the human race will come from knowing the limitations of scientific method.

VC,
You say:
"You will find millions of people throughout the ages have attested to "the sense sublime of something far more deeply interfused", including myself. But in order to sense it one needs to be open to the possibility. Many known phenomena are unexplained: telepathy, photographic memory, human computers, remote viewing, to name but a few. I think that the next great advance of the human race will come from knowing the limitations of scientific method."

Why do you on the one hand uphold problems with a concept of 'consensus' in these concerns and then illustrate the basis of that 'consensus'? ("millions... throughout the ages"?)
Questioning and denying to see rational explanations for what you cite is hardly encouraged when you admit the basis I have cited.
Aesthetics is concerned with the phenomena you cite.
What more can I say?
As to the conclusion of 'science', that in some (mystical?) way you say has limitations in its methodology, I think you are just proving to us all that you do not understand scientific methodology.
Neither do I understand the citations you choose, or their relevance:
telepathy? photographic memory? Human computers? (Do you mean the introduction of living material into electronic computer interfaces, or the actual use of organic matter as part of the computer's chip configuration?), Remote viewing?

Are these all not under investigation by the 'Sciences'? Have not most of them been investigated? You say they are unexplained. Let us assume they are not, as you have stated.
If so... why presume some metaphysical and - forgive me - 'romantic' - explanation is possible? Why not be satisfied that scientific methodology investigates such phenomena as 'unknowns' to be investigated? Why, further assume, that other mystical methodolgies are preferable? What logical basis have you for that assumption? Can you not accept simply that x) is an unknown, worthy of objective investigation?

When recently another new tribe was discovered by loggers in South America, the tribe saw someone use a cigarette lighter... and thought it was magical... a device of the Gods? Does that actually make the cigarette lighter 'magical' and an 'instrument' of the aliens or the Gods, or whatever... a device of magic and the supernatural?

NO...and nor do the cited examples illustrate anything mystical and magical. They are simply identified with logical, objective problems that are in need of further investigation and understanding. They are 'unknowns'.
In fact we know more about the cited examples than you seem to think!

In scientific methodology, our understandings and knowledge is always limited to the current understandings and knowledge. That is then applied to the unknowns... the problems: seeking always to push back the barriers to understanding of the unknowns, if necessary, with new approaches, new investigations.

If string theory is be proven... we seek ways of proving it... we seek analysis of the problems. In fact, with regard to the latter, new observations have discovered possible validations in astronomical evidence, as reported this week in 'The New Scientist' magazine and on the Web.

Science makes hypotheses and seeks ways of investigating them, either validating them ultimately, or not as the case may be... and that is all.

The thing about 'Science' is that it is very aware of its limitations.... Those supporting a supernatural, metaphysical conceptualisation seem not to have a problem with their own limitations, or even to be aware of the problems and limitations of their views!

They say things like if it is 'unknown' therefore it must be 'evidence for a God', or some equally supernatural, surreal explanation.

On a personal note... you say:
"I will defend my opinions, but I will never state that they are right, and everyone else is wrong."

I would expect no other from you VC. BUT please note, you have said they are 'opinions'. That means exactly what I have been saying. Opinions are just opinions, objective and material facts are not... they reference themselves to what is objectively amenable to investigation beyond 'opinion' and self, and how one 'feels' about something.

That returns me to the evidence you cite... the millions who recognise aesthetic qualities at work in what they appreciate... qualities that can be examined and defined... as I have posted for you Re: visual Arts and literary Arts.
When those 'conventions' are broken deliberately, as in Dadaism, it is CLEAR that they are being broken - for a deliberate purpose.

If a sublime feeling is an aspect of any particular work of Art in the minds of a general audience over time... that needs confirmation and explanation to be understood, especially if you are an artist who wishes to 'move' an audience, and deliberately wishes the audience to be 'moved'. This is the essential and original meaning of 'skill' in the denotative definition of 'art'.

No one is suggesting that a primitive artist cannot by accident, or simply undefined affective undertandings, achieve great 'art'. They patently can and have throughout History. I once had a photograph win a local exhibiton competition and heard the 'judge' rabbittinbg on about how a sensitive choice was made for the composition,etc., etc. For heaven's sake... that photo was an accident among a number of frames! It was not composed or captured deliberately! I simply recognised its aesthetic qulaities... and so did the 'judges' and the audiences in general!
Similarly,the converse is true... an artist who strives to implement all the aesthetic understandings, may abysmally fail to finally 'move' audiences as large as you suggest, because his 'Art' is robotic and unfeeling! You seem to think I would deny that latter scenario!

Personal tastes, both refined and unrefined, are not the primary/sole arbiters of 'good' art.
Good art stands alone... and is either recognised or not, aethetically, as having the qualities that can be demonstrated by a Vettriani in some of his works.

A viewer just making personal judgements is likely to miss what could enhance appreciation and make judgements more enlightened. In fact, that happens all the time.

I repeat, yet again... there is no necessity in us to like that which can be seen to have good qualities.. good art. Nor is there any inbuilt necessity that says we have to dislike 'bad' art... we may in fact be very moved by it...
So what? That's what it means to judge purely from a personal taste POV.
If you cannot distinguish the aesthetic qualities, no one is saying you are 'bad' or 'wrong'. No one is saying you are 'wrong' if you make all your judgements on a purely personal basis. You just would not understand Dadaist 'art', that's all, and be able to recognise it for what it is.

Personal taste is not the arbiter... the millions you refer to are... for it is they who have been communicated with through the skills of the artist, across generations.

You did seem to imply that I personally do not appreciate that 'sense of the sublime'. You would be wrong. I recognise it for what it is... and a little of how it works... or how I try to make it work in my paintings, poems and other creative literature.

An artist needs to learn his or her 'craft', as many old masters did at the feet of their literal 'masters'. ~Some then continuing to achieve great mastery beyond that of their teachers. When those 'masters' made judgements about their apprentices, they sometimes made mistakes, or were jealous,or nurtured what they recognised was greater skill than their own... and probably very different in style, but they very rarely demonstrated lack of appreciation of the aestheic qualities... as I say - only sometimes making a blatant mistake.

You can 'see' an unmade bed any way you want... from a personal view. Aesthetics tell me it demonstrates no 'craft'/skill, or communicates any sense of the sublime... the artist in that case maintaining that the audience MUST make of it what they will! All it displays to me is a lack of skill and a lack of taste, with a scarcely justifiable political intent on the part of the 'artist', somewhat typical of the lack of taste and discrimination of age in which we live.

Did anyone read the link I posted? If yes, Do you disagree with encarta's definition of aesthetics or did I misunderstand something? People still seem to limit themselves to certain ancient greek idea's of reason in art? <<and santanya?>>I am going to just post this definition. I still want to understand Blue's understanding of aesthetics and why reason is so valuable.
Aesthetics, branch of philosophy concerned with the essence and perception of beauty and ugliness. Aesthetics also deals with the question of whether such qualities are objectively present in the things they appear to qualify, or whether they exist only in the mind of the individual; (((So this is THE individual correct, or all individuals on average?))))) hence, whether objects are perceived by a particular mode, the aesthetic mode, or whether instead the objects have, in themselves, special qualities—aesthetic qualities. *Did anyone see this, am I missing something?
Philosophy also asks if there is a difference between the beautiful and the sublime.
Criticism and the psychology of art, although independent disciplines, are related to aesthetics. The psychology of art is concerned with such elements of the arts as human responses to color, sound, line, form, and words and with the ways in which the emotions condition such responses. Criticism confines itself to particular works of art, analyzing their structures, meanings, and problems, comparing them with other works, and evaluating them.

The term aesthetics was introduced in 1753 by the German philosopher Alexander Gottlieb Baumgarten, but the study of the nature of beauty had been pursued for centuries. In the past it was chiefly a subject for philosophers. Since the 19th century, artists also have contributed their views.

IIClassical TheoriesPrint Preview of SectionThe first aesthetic theory of any scope is that of Plato, who believed that reality consists of archetypes, or forms, beyond human sensation, which are the models for all things that exist in human experience. The objects of such experience are examples, or imitations, of those forms. The philosopher tries to reason from the object experienced to the reality it imitates; the artist copies the experienced object, or uses it as a model for the work. Thus, the artist's work is an imitation of an imitation.

Plato's thinking had a marked ascetic strain. In his Republic, Plato went so far as to banish some types of artists from his ideal society because he thought their work encouraged immorality or portrayed base characters, and that certain musical compositions caused laziness or incited people to immoderate actions.

Aristotle also spoke of art as imitation, but not in the Platonic sense. One could imitate “things as they ought to be,” he wrote, and “art partly completes what nature cannot bring to a finish.” The artist separates the form from the matter of some objects of experience, such as the human body or a tree, and imposes that form on another matter, such as canvas or marble. Thus, imitation is not just copying an original model, nor is it devising a symbol for the original; rather, it is a particular representation of an aspect of things, and each work is an imitation of the universal whole.

Aesthetics was inseparable from morality and politics for both Aristotle and Plato. The former wrote about music in his Politics, maintaining that art affects human character, and hence the social order. Because Aristotle held that happiness is the aim of life, he believed that the major function of art is to provide human satisfaction. In the Poetics, his great work on the principles of drama, Aristotle argued that tragedy so stimulates the emotions of pity and fear, which he considered morbid and unhealthful, that by the end of the play the spectator is purged of them. This catharsis makes the audience psychologically healthier and thus more capable of happiness. Neoclassical drama since the 17th century has been greatly influenced by Aristotle's Poetics. The works of the French dramatists Jean Baptiste Racine, Pierre Corneille, and Molière, in particular, advocate its doctrine of the three unities: time, place, and action. This concept dominated literary theories up to the 19th century.

IIIOther Early ApproachesPrint Preview of SectionThe 3rd-century philosopher Plotinus, born in Egypt and trained in philosophy at Alexandria, although a Neoplatonist, gave far more importance to art than did Plato. In Plotinus's view, art reveals the form of an object more clearly than ordinary experience does, and it raises the soul to contemplation of the universal. According to Plotinus, the highest moments of life are mystical, which is to say that the soul is united, in the world of forms, with the divine, which Plotinus spoke of as “the One.” Aesthetic experience comes closest to mystical experience, for one loses oneself while contemplating the aesthetic object.

Art in the Middle Ages was primarily an expression of religion, with an aesthetic principle based largely on Neoplatonism. During the Renaissance in the 15th and 16th centuries, art became more secular, and its aesthetics were classical rather than religious. The great impetus to aesthetic thought in the modern world occurred in Germany during the 18th century. The German critic Gotthold Ephraim Lessing, in his Laokoon (1766), argued that art is self-limiting and reaches its height only when these limitations are recognized. The German critic and classical archaeologist Johann Joachim Winckelmann maintained that, in accordance with the ancient Greeks, the best art is impersonal, expressing ideal proportion and balance rather than its creator's individuality. The German philosopher Johann Gottlieb Fichte considered beauty a moral virtue. The artist creates a world in which beauty, as much as truth, is an end, foreshadowing that absolute freedom which is the goal of the human will. For Fichte, art is individual, not social, but it fulfills a great human purpose.

IVModern AestheticsPrint Preview of SectionThe 18th-century German philosopher Immanuel Kant was concerned with judgments of taste. Objects are judged beautiful, he proposed, when they satisfy a disinterested desire: one that does not involve personal interests or needs. It follows from this that beautiful objects have no specific purpose and that judgments of beauty are not expressions of mere personal preference but are universal. Although one cannot be certain that others will be satisfied by objects he or she judges to be beautiful, one can at least say that others ought to be satisfied. The basis for one's response to beauty exists in the structure of one's mind.

<<<<>>>>>>I deleted the middle it is too long!!!.

In>>>>
AMarxism and FreudianismTwo powerful movements, Marxism in the fields of economics and politics and Freudianism in psychology, have rejected the art-for-art principle and reasserted art's practical uses. Marxism treats art as an expression of the underlying economic relations in society. Marxist proponents maintain that art is great only when it is “progressive,” that is, when it supports the cause of the society under which it is created.

Sigmund Freud believed the value of art to lie in its therapeutic use: It is by this means that both the artist and the public can reveal hidden conflicts and discharge tensions. Fantasies and daydreams, as they enter into art, are thus transformed from an escape from life into ways of meeting it. In the surrealist movement in painting and poetry, the unconscious is used as a source of material. The stream-of-consciousness technique of fiction, notably in the novels of the Irish writer James Joyce, was derived not only from Freud's work but partly from The Principles of Psychology (1890) by the American philosopher and psychologist William James and partly from the French novel We'll to the Woods No More (1887; translated 1957) by Edouard Dujardin.

BExistentialismMore recently, the French philosopher and writer Jean-Paul Sartre advocated a form of existentialism in which art is seen as an expression of the freedom of the individual to choose, and as such demonstrates the individual's responsibility for his or her choices. Despair, as reflected in art, is not an end but a beginning, because it eradicates the guilts and excuses from which people ordinarily suffer, thus opening the way for genuine freedom.

CAcademic ControversiesAcademic controversies of the 20th century have revolved about meaning in art. The British critic and semanticist I. A. Richards claimed that art is a language. He asserted that two types of language exist: the symbolic, which conveys ideas and information; and the emotive, which expresses, evokes, and excites feelings and attitudes. He regarded art as emotive language, giving order and coherence to experience and attitudes, but containing no symbolic meaning.

Richards's work was important also for its use of psychological techniques in studying aesthetic reactions. In Practical Criticism (1929) he described experiments revealing that even highly educated people are conditioned by their education, by handed-down opinion, and by other social and circumstantial elements in their aesthetic responses. Other writers have commented on the conditioning effects of tradition, fashion, and other social pressures, noting, for example, that in the early 18th century the plays of William Shakespeare were viewed as barbarous and Gothic art as vulgar.

you say has limitations in its methodology, I think you are just proving to us all that you do not understand scientific methodology
Niehls Bohr has said "The map is not the territory." See debates between Einstein and Bohr

You just would not understand Dadaist 'art', that's all, and be able to recognise it for what it is.
You might be right, I probably could look ad Dadaist art and not realize its purpose is to make some nihilistic or nietzschean if you will, statement against certain laws of Beauty,. I mean maybe I will pick up on something their psyche was trying to express that they were not consciously utilizing as part of the ""Dadaist" motif . Or maybe I will pick up on some other meaning in it only I can see or pick up on it

Aesthetics also deals with the question of whether such qualities are objectively present in the things they appear to qualify, or whether they exist only in the mind of the individual; (((So this is THE individual correct, or all individuals on average?))))) hence, whether objects are perceived by a particular mode, the aesthetic mode, or whether instead the objects have, in themselves, special qualities—aesthetic qualities. *Did anyone see this, am I missing something?
===============
I didn't miss it, VC, as I thought you might have realised... from my points.

I am still not sure what you are trying to say or imply with the quotations you have pasted?

Are you, or are you not, still maintaining that personal taste is THE arbiter of your judgements?

Or are you now, because of the contents of the quotation, agreeing with me that other factors should play a part, in a way attested to down through the ages from at least the days of the ancient Greeks?

You singularly fail to discuss my point re: 'liking' what is patently 'poor' artistically, which is just as possible as disliking what can be recognised as 'good' artistically? Do you recognise such distinctions or not?

Are you denying the techniques employed by artists in all fields of artistic endeavour in seeking to communicate with the audiencenot only satisfyingly aesthetic principles as I have referred to, but deliberately seeking to create a sense of the sublime in their paintings, sculptures, words, buildings, etc?
Are you further denying that artists from time immemorial CONSCIOUSLY seek to produce works that affect the audience in the artists' desired ways rather than just satisfy themselves?

I have to say, it does still seem as if you are thinking that I deny the value of purely personal affective judgements. That is not so. I have singularly failed if that is the impression you have, or seem to still hold in your final comments.

Discrimination, rational evaluation of techniques and skills cannot be ignored in artistic judgements... especially those made public.
Yes, we react any way we are moved to react on meeting the new poem, the new painting, new piece of music, or whatever... but if you just stop - remain in a state - of saying... "I liked that. It was sublime..." or whatever, or "I didn't like that, it was ugly and crass..." then that's fine, but it is NOT the whole story, as it were. Surely we have a right in discussion to know why you reacted the way you did, and if you can cite no reasons... we may justifiably wonder about your judgements. Reason, rational considerations of the skills,techniques employed, considerations of style, content and methodology should also play a part... whether we like the work or not!
If you are happy to have no reasons, or a desire to seek to understand your personal reactions, that's fine too, if rather limiting IMHO.
Hopefully, we could say, of a 'great' work that we not only like it, we KNOW why we like it so much! We 'see' beyond the instant responses, and appreciate the reasons for those responses. (That is consideration of the aesthetic qualities!)

Just a quick note for Blue: I still intend to reply to your post number 27, health - mine and my PC's - permitting. I think Aladdin has something different to say but I'm not sure what it is. :confused:

health - mine and my PC's - permitting
=========
I do hope sincerely that things improve soon, VC.

Best wishes, and Happy New Year.

*Why do you on the one hand uphold problems with a concept of 'consensus' in these concerns and then illustrate the basis of that 'consensus'? ("millions... throughout the ages"?)

I tried to support what I was saying by using something you esteem - consensus. I thought it might carry more weight with you. Oh well...

*As to the conclusion of 'science', that in some (mystical?) way you say has limitations in its methodology, I think you are just proving to us all that you do not understand scientific methodology.

This is what I was trying to say: scientific method is incremental. It is a closed loop. It can never define anything that lies outside of itself. If it were an express train it would never get to America. The examples I gave are of phenomena that defy scientific explanation - not just the unexplained but the inexplicable.

Human computers - the original use of the word 'computer' was 'someone who computes'. Some people have the ability to perform complex mental calculations instantly. They themselves cannot explain how they do this.

Remote viewing is the ability of trained people to visualise what an accomplice in another location is seeing. It is claimed that the technique has been developed to the point where the presence of the observer is no longer required. What I am suggesting is that we need the equivalent of the shift from Newtonian to Einsteinian - only this time we shall need to redefine everything we thought we knew. We haven't even got a definition for 'life'.

*Does that actually make the cigarette lighter 'magical' and an 'instrument' of the aliens or the Gods, or whatever

...but isn't it curious that people now have the same trusting and ignorant belief in science that they used to have in superstition?

I had mistaken you, Blue, for a materialist, but I was wrong. I think you are a neo-Platonist since you are convinced that the artistic ideal has some independent existence somewhere. I take the rather more Aristotelian view that the ideal is a construct that we place on what we see. I suspect that we're not going to achieve a rapprochement on this.

Many thanks for your considered reply.
"This is what I was trying to say: scientific method is incremental. It is a closed loop. It can never define anything that lies outside of itself. If it were an express train it would never get to America. The examples I gave are of phenomena that defy scientific explanation - not just the unexplained but the inexplicable."
============
1. "It can never define anything that lies outside of itself."
I do not understand this. Why should it try to define what lies outside its sphere of enquiry? What is the point being made?
2. "The examples I gave are of phenomena that defy scientific explanation - not just the unexplained but the inexplicable."
But they are not phenomena in any external sense... How does anyone know what is or is not explainable/explicable in any future time? It is a matter of comparing probabilities. The nature of the atom was hypothesised quite accurately by Lucretius. It was not explainable in detail at the time beyond his limited observations. There wasn't the technology to do so, but his observations and logic can not be faulted. It is now explainable in quantifiable terms.
=============
Other points:
I hope no one has a simple trust in 'Science',because 'science' can err... and that is taken account of in scientific methodological considerations of anything.
You say:

"Human computers - the original use of the word 'computer' was 'someone who computes'. Some people have the ability to perform complex mental calculations instantly. They themselves cannot explain how they do this.

"Remote viewing is the ability of trained people to visualise what an accomplice in another location is seeing. It is claimed that the technique has been developed to the point where the presence of the observer is no longer required. What I am suggesting is that we need the equivalent of the shift from Newtonian to Einsteinian - only this time we shall need to redefine everything we thought we knew. We haven't even got a definition for 'life'."

Re: human computers. The analogy simply doesn't hold water. A computer is a computer, as defined.
Human beings can compute. A Human being is not a machine. The machine cannot be personified. Many of the human beings who can calculate very quickly indeed have explained very convincingly the methodology by which they achieve their amazing results... so much so their techniques can be taught. The Internet and the University sites are a good source here.

Re: Remote viewing: Sincerely,where is the empirical evidence for this hypothesised faculty in human beings?

Re: "We haven't got a definition for 'life'"? Of course we have... it can be found in any first year Biology course textbook.
If you mean 'life' as some mystical and supernatural quality, that is another question I will try to answer in the next post.

Finally, the taste and qualities recognised universally by true artists in composing and developing their creative efforts is continually apparent. They are the measures they set themselves in composition, etc., whether poets, painters,muscicians, etc., and the effects are immediately apparent in their work and the judgements of their peers, even evidenced from Art History, when one artist disliked the work of another... the skill was still recognised (Ref: Vassari writings on the matter).

I dislike the the idea of labelling anyone as Platonist or any other variety... things have moved in since those days to an age more comfortable comfortable with phenomenalism and other conceptualisations often supported by findings in clinical psychology.

As you say this is maybe time to beg to differ... but do considermy next post which I think will be relevant... though you may think otherwise.

Many thanks for an interesting discussion, and I hope the problems with the computer,etc., are now resolved.

Simplifying somewhat, I think it is worth considering the following, because I think it is relevant:

1) "The world is all that is the case"

Most importantly, Wittgenstein, is saying that everything anyone can think is due to things and their relations in the world.

2.)
"How things are in the world is a matter of complete indifference for what is higher.  God does not reveal himself in the world."

"To view the world sub specie aeterni is to view it as a whole -- a limited whole.
Feeling the world as a limited whole -- it is this that is mystical."

"There are, indeed, things that cannot be put into words.  They make themselves manifest.  They are what is mystical."

All the above quotes are from:  
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein

I am suggesting that just considering the import of these words is valuable, because in all matters artistic, it is ultimately what is there in the musical score and performance, the painting in its composition, colouring and skilful performance, and the perceptions of the viewer, determined greatly not just by personal preferences, but how we 'see' gestalts,for example. The same goes goes for artistic endeavours whether appreciated by mass audiences or not,the artist being famous or not.

The rules of composition are derived from what is effective upon the audience... the fact is Tracey Emin's tent does just not measure up against such judgements. Of course the judgements are all value judgements, but a even a cursory view of Vassari, or the whole of human 'art' from cave -paintings onwards proves the point of what is 'universal'. Whatever one's cultural traditions and nurture the Chinese admire French cave paintings as much as any other cultural grouping and the reasons are to do with 'taste' and 'discrmination' in value judgements built over centuries and in accord with our psychology as human beings.
This is not presuming anything of the 'ideal', or 'ultimate'. There is no reason why human nature should not change and evolve over thousands of years in the future...but I hazard the probability that discord will still highlight harmony far into the future, and the common 'rules' of composition, etc., will continue to enhance appreciation and people's value judgements in matters artistic.

There is only what is.

You see, you never did answer my point about personal preference being the key arbiter of judgement in the Arts.

It is simply my contention, that personal preference is NOT the key arbiter of such judgements.

Sorry to repeat myself:
I can dislike a great and recognised great work of art on purely personal grounds, BUT still recognise its undoubted qualities as 'what is'.
I am also at liberty to like the tasteless and totally lacking in artistic qualities, just as well... indeed, recognising those tasteless, unskilled, unartistic qualities at the same time.

A good novel is a good novel in spite of any personal dislike I may have with the composition and form, language or content/subject matter. Similarly, I am perfectly able to recognise how poor a novel is against the agreed measures, and enjoy it enthusiastically: knowing it is a 'bad' novel.

In all sincerity, why should purely personal judgements hold sway over agreed measures, as I think you have suggested,VC?

Just a few brief word of explanation, then I think we've bottomed this out. The point about inexplicable phenomena was that there are I maintain some things - very important things - that the incremental chain of reason will not lead us to - because they lie outside reason. Beauty perhaps is one aspect of this unknown terrain.

We do not have a definition of life. We have a list of characteristics of most of the living organisms in our biosphere, but even these are ambivalent when it comes to, say, viruses.

My wife is studying BA Art. and believe me, questions of aesthetics do not enter into it. Even craft skills are totally ignored. This is the modern consensus, for better or for worse.

Blessings,
VC

Back