What are modern religions?

I think you got it...
As for me I'd guess I just do not like regurgitated stuff for us dumb western folk (who could not possibly understand the intricacies and nuances of those fancy Eastern religions) with their fancy Sanskrit words....
:) If you want, you can.

ACIM (a course in miracle) is very new (Written from 1965 to 1972), it is non-dualistic but mixes Jesus and the Holy spirit into the mix, which was a telltale for me to avoid. The book (acim) has some amazingly powerful writing, but putting the whole thing into context not enough for me to be a convert....it is a borrowed concept from Advaita Vedanta, Kashmir Shaivism...
Yes. And I've run into it in Unity church. It's not part of them, it's not their doctrine as such, but the people who like to go to Unity also tend to be drawn to ACIM

Church of the New Jerusalem? Faithists (Oahspe), New Apostolic Church, I AM, Scientology, Church of Man, Mahikari, Soka Gakkai, Unity, Subud, Vang Chu, Tonghak/Donghak, from which have come many new Korean religions - Chondogyo, JeungSanDo, Shincheonji, more. China has many new also, many with Christian features - Eastern Lightning (Church of Almighty God). There are so-o many. Always room for one or two more. Keeps philosopers of religion busy.

Church of the New Jerusalem? Faithists (Oahspe), New Apostolic Church, I AM, Scientology, Church of Man, Mahikari, Soka Gakkai, Unity, Subud, Vang Chu, Tonghak/Donghak, from which have come many new Korean religions - Chondogyo, JeungSanDo, Shincheonji, more. China has many new also, many with Christian features - Eastern Lightning (Church of Almighty God). There are so-o many. Always room for one or two more. Keeps philosopers of religion busy.
And anthropologists of religion too!
I will have to look some of these up. (Unity I know and like)

We could probably add The Way International

How do we define modern religions vs modern mockery of religions?

I mean depending how devout, or atheist you are, which religions are on which side of that line would vary greatly

I guess it would depend on the spirit its done in.
I agree. I think the people who talk about that "church of the spaghetti monster" are parodying religion.
I think at least some of the Jedi people are sincere in the sense they really look to the movies and the Jedi codes as a philosophical guide to life.

I agree. I think the people who talk about that "church of the spaghetti monster" are parodying religion.
I think at least some of the Jedi people are sincere in the sense they really look to the movies and the Jedi codes as a philosophical guide to life.
I tend to agree, though I think even the flying spaghetti monster could be positive, if it gave community.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster serves an important role in my country, where there is no proper separation of church and state. I know, shocking for a modern democracy, right?

Anyway, the FSM church is mostly politically active, highlighting legal double standards (certain Christian churches - only some of them - are state sponsored, other religious groups aren't; some labor laws don't apply if the employer is a church, the list goes on... etc).

So, while not a religion focused on the transcendental, the FSM people certainly have a lot of faith in our civic institutions and want to work for a better, more just situation where this weird privilege is either abolished or more justly applied to all faiths and worldviews.

I'm a bit too cynical to expect this to happen, what with the Christian Democrats still being the most powerful party. I admire the implicit FSM civic beliefs, but that's too much of a leap of faith for me...

Last edited:
The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster serves an important role in my country, where there is no proper separation of church and state. I know, shocking for a modern democracy, right?

Anyway, the FSM church is mostly politically active, highlighting legal double standards (certain Christian churches - only some of them - are state sponsored, other religious groups aren't; some labor laws don't apply if the employer is a church, the list goes on... etc).

So, while not a religion focused on the transcendental, the FSM people certainly have a lot of faith in our civic institutions and want to work for a better, more just situation where this weird privilege is either abolished or more justly applied to all faiths and worldviews.

I'm a bit too cynical to expect this to happen, what with the Christian Democrats still being the most powerful party. I admire the implicit FSM civic beliefs, but that's too much of a leap of faith for me...
Interesting! I did not know how organized and systematic they were, and for the benefit of their society.
I really thought it was just a construct, an example of why they don't think historic religions made sense.
But it seems it is a diligent organization with a lot more to it than that.

Do you know much about this group?
A little. There were one or two organized groups in the UK a few decades ago, but I lost contact with them. Likewise with USA Faithists. One was liturgical, which I hadn't expected. At least a couple of them published newsletters. But they all seem to have diminished in size and activity. Wing Anderson wrote a couple of fascinating books on Oahspe's prophecies, which you might be able to find somewhere. More straightforward and more interesting than the Oahspe itself.

I haven't followed that movement for a while, now being more interested in Christian alternatives (heresies), and the identification of Hebrews as a typical Canaanite tribe that spread in Canaan like the Latins did in Italy, and engaged in massive historical revisionism. Christianity did that too, I guess.

A little. There were one or two organized groups in the UK a few decades ago, but I lost contact with them. Likewise with USA Faithists. One was liturgical, which I hadn't expected. At least a couple of them published newsletters. But they all seem to have diminished in size and activity. Wing Anderson wrote a couple of fascinating books on Oahspe's prophecies, which you might be able to find somewhere. More straightforward and more interesting than the Oahspe itself.

I haven't followed that movement for a while, now being more interested in Christian alternatives (heresies), and the identification of Hebrews as a typical Canaanite tribe that spread in Canaan like the Latins did in Italy, and engaged in massive historical revisionism. Christianity did that too, I guess.
Thanks. I was very taken by Oahspe at one time in my life. I still relate to a lot of the concepts ...

Back