What is Masonry?

Blue Lodge or Craft Lodge refers to the Three Degrees of Masonry.

All so interesting... When my dad was interested he and his buddy (IDK whether mentor/trainer or fellow initiate) would go out in the cold to the car to practice their lines or study the info because they couldn't do so in front of my mom... he quit and never pursued again getting more involved in raising his three kids...

I have his apron and bible and tie clasp and cufflinks stored someplace...since so many in my family on both sides has been involved it has always interested me...just never found the time to add anything else to my plate. Also the secrecy portion has always rubbed me the wrong way.

found this... https://www.quora.com/What-do-33rd-degree-masons-know-that-3rd-degree-masons-do-not and I know there are many books should I be that interested...but your input has been quite helpful.

What would you say are the top reasons/rewards to being a mason?

All so interesting... When my dad was interested he and his buddy (IDK whether mentor/trainer or fellow initiate) would go out in the cold to the car to practice their lines or study the info because they couldn't do so in front of my mom... he quit and never pursued again getting more involved in raising his three kids...

I can understand that. Lodge may take up a lot of time if you pursue York or Scottish Rite, join the Shriner's and volunteer. Family is always first in the Lodge and guys with children often miss meetings. That's life.

I have his apron and bible and tie clasp and cufflinks stored someplace...since so many in my family on both sides has been involved it has always interested me...just never found the time to add anything else to my plate. Also the secrecy portion has always rubbed me the wrong way.

That's pretty cool. If you know any Masons you can have them contact the Grand Lodge in the jurisdiction he was a member of and request information on him. They would have a file on his degrees, etc. It may cost a small fee but might be worth it.

What would you say are the top reasons/rewards to being a mason?

Fraternity, brotherhood. The Masonic meeting is rich in allegory, history, mythos and myth. It's also a nice place to meet like minded fellows, civically minded, so you can channel your volunteer work without politics. You see a need and you meet it. No politicking. (maybe after though...)

~ Aetius

I like to build temples and burn them... I also like my volunteer time to be political... but I wouldn't mind spinning my ring when I see the judge is wearing his...

I like to build temples and burn them... I also like my volunteer time to be political... but I wouldn't mind spinning my ring when I see the judge is wearing his...

;)

To discover and really get to know what masonry is it is best to ask a brother when you see 1.

Back