Questions for class....

Oh come on you pesky agnostic...how about you answer the questions....when one studies world religions one should get some insight from the world irreligious, nonreligious, postreligious whate ver... And don't mind ACOT... he tries to soothe my cantankerous side... I am not quite a bull in the china shop...but more like a happy dog with stiff tail knocking the tea cups over....or some would say more like his counterpart...a naive kid with a stick just swinging his way thru life...

But you sir(or mam) have passed! By far the best student researcher we've seen come thru here....now we just need to rally our Buddhists, Muslms, Hindus et al to stand up and give you a hand!

And are you in Jordan? What is the life of a Christian like in the middle east?

Thank you for that kind compliment!

As for Jordan, I am unfortunately not over there. I am in the U.S. (Good eye A Cup of Tea!) I had the incredible opportunity to first go there on a trip for a month this past summer and see firsthand how to walk by and help peoples of other faith. It captivated my heart and I wish to return. I was with workers who had been there for decades, so I will not attempt to say what it is like to actually live there long term because I only had a few weeks. However, I can give my impression of them. It is hard, but those that take that call are the toughest and most inspiring people that I know and definitely belong in my answer to question 2. Some have been kicked out of countries, had loved ones killed, or worked with people groups for 12 years with no conversions to show for it. Others are just working the best they can or trying to raise a family. In the midst of that, they are so sure of their faith. They great every day with love and enthusiasm.

Out of all the troubles that come from being a believer in a closed country, one thing was personally easier for me: talking about faith. In the States, it is almost a taboo topic. To ask what someone believes is like asking how much they weigh or how much they earn. Over there, it is such a free and constant topic. People were happy to talk about it and eager too.

For you wil <3
I'm technically atheist but I don't identify as such. As theist-athieist is the thing that is important to most people, that guide them, gnosticism-agnosticism are what I'm attuned to. It is not a choice I've made, it is just how my mind have been shaped.

1) Did you convert, or did you grow up in your current faith?
Non was practiced so I guess so.

2) Who has inspired/ motivated you the most in your faith?
Agnostics aren't very loud, so I get surprised when anyone express themselves as agnostic. But anyone who express skepticism as to what can be known, and their own ability to judge inspire me. Lot's of comics!

3) What is the most important part of your religion to you? (prayer, mediations, good works, etc)
Be as good to the people around you as you can. We are all trying to find our way.

4) What is your favorite memory associated with your religion?
N/A

5) What is your favorite holiday that stems from the religion?
N/A

6) If you will have/already had children, will you raise them in the faith too?
I will ask them to question things to their best ability, especially what I say. Parents have a powerful hold.

7) What is the common portrayal of your faith? Do you think it is accurate?
I don't think people care about us much, haven't seen any negative stereotypes. It's not super complicated. (We did have a guy on here who was very upset about agnostics, worse than atheists apparently)

8) What do you wish more people knew about your religion?
N/A

9) What is the most troubling part about it? The most rewarding?
Well the world is rather bleak...and also very bright. It's chaotic and messy, and it's all in our nature.

10) How has it impacted the past/how you look at the future?
Things come and go, nothing is new under the son, make the best of it.

11) What is one thing you would like a non-practicer of your faith to understand?
Na, you guys are smart, you know enough.

FYI, I've consolidated all of these posts into one thread. So, if you're responding to the questions, please note your religion in your first response. Thank you.

1) Did you convert, or did you grow up in your current faith?

Convert to Christianity, raised atheist.

2) Who has inspired/ motivated you the most in your faith?

The love Christ demonstrated by his death on the cross.

3) What is the most important part of your religion to you? (prayer, mediations, good works, etc)

Prayer is the lifesblood of the faith.

4) What is your favorite memory associated with your religion?

Sometimes, when deep in prayer, I feel a loss of self into the divine. The first time this happened is a favourite memory of mine.

5) What is your favorite holiday that stems from the religion?

Easter.

6) If you will have/already had children, will you raise them in the faith too?

I have raised three children in the faith.

7) What is the common portrayal of your faith? Do you think it is accurate?

I do not believe American Evangelicalism is an accurate portrayal of Christianity but it is the most common in North America.

8) What do you wish more people knew about your religion?

Christ Himself.

9) What is the most troubling part about it?

The lack of depth displayed by many of my brothers and sisters.

The most rewarding?

Serving Christ by serving others.

10) How has it impacted the past/how you look at the future?

I use to be a pessimist but now I'm a lot more optimistic.

~ Aetius

No problem -- if you have any other questions that are specific to Judaism, please feel free to ask.

If you don't mind me asking, what (if any) is your view of an afterlife? I know everyone, especially in Judaism, views it a little differently, but I was just wondering if you had a specific one?

If you don't mind me asking, what (if any) is your view of an afterlife? I know everyone, especially in Judaism, views it a little differently, but I was just wondering if you had a specific one?
The Jewish understanding of the afterlife is complex and explicated historically late in the game. Notions of the eternal soul, judging the dead, resurrection, the Messianic age are all described in post biblical (and in most cases, post talmudic) rabbinic writing.

The best I can do is give resources:
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/47936/what-is-the-orthodox-jewish-view-of-the-afterlife

look on the right side of the page for other linked or related questions.

Hi Rosends—

I found that resource page really quite interesting, and the comments in the main Q&A worth following up.

Lots of question re Hebrew mystical speculation and later Christian theology.

And following a link, I really laughed at a comment quoted of Peter Schäfer, which I think applies to so much sensational/populist theology today:
"There are many correct and new aspects in your paper—only what is new isn’t correct and what is correct isn’t new"

I'll play.
1) Did you convert, or did you grow up in your current faith? Convert, or more accurately "revert" as a view of Islam is we are all born Muslim.

2) Who has inspired/ motivated you the most in your faith? Not sure, My wife and friends I would have to say if I wagered it on other people.

3) What is the most important part of your religion to you? (prayer, mediations, good works, etc) I don't believe one can be Muslim without embracing all facets of the faith.

4) What is your favorite memory associated with your religion? The Complex feeling of breaking fast for the last night of Ramadan. It is both Amazing and Weird to eat once you have gone the full month fasting to know that the next day you will be eating at festivals and parties during the day.

5) What is your favorite holiday that stems from the religion? If Ramadan is considered a Holiday, then that. If not, the Eid.

6) If you will have/already had children, will you raise them in the faith too? Of course, I find it difficult to believe someone believes their religion is correct and not try to pass their knowledge into their children.

7) What is the common portrayal of your faith? Do you think it is accurate? Can we just say widely varying, and usually not accurate?

8) What do you wish more people knew about your religion? I'm not gonna try too much on this one, and just say "the truth".

9) What is the most troubling part about it? The most rewarding? The most troubling thing is the current state of outsiders view of it. The physical danger of living in a society what is so polarized for or against it and the danger it brings to my child. The most rewarding is looking out through the world and seeing the truth of the text in everyday life, regardless of level of understanding.

10) How has it impacted the past/how you look at the future? more aware of mistakes I made when younger, things I wish didn't happen. Of course on the upside I don't spend as much on things like alcohol and fatty foods.

11) What is one thing you would like a non-practicer of your faith to understand? That the religion cannot be summed up with a half a line of text. And that if you were to read the text alongside the text of other religions that the similarities are enormous.

Back