The Inquisition ...

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Edited from the National Review:

The Office of the Inquisition was instituted to give people a fair trial and put an end to widespread and often unjust executions for a theological office, by those who had little or no theological grounding, insight or understanding.

The temporal authorities saw their rule as a Divine Right, and the heretic as someone who challenged both God and the entire social order. There was little patience with heretics. The common folk tended to regard heresy as something liable to bring down divine retribution.

If accused of heresy in the early Middle Ages, the accused was brought before the local lord for judgment as was everyone else who broke the law. Yet basic theological training was not a requirement among lords, sheriffs and circuit judges. The result was that uncounted thousands across Europe were executed by secular authorities without fair trials or a competent assessment of the validity of the charge. The death penalty was the norm for a vast range of offences, heresy just one among them.

The Inquisition was instituted in 1184 to provide fair trials for those accused of heresy, in a court presided over by judges who knew something about the issue under trial. From the perspective of secular authorities, heretics were traitors to God and king, and therefore deserved death. From the Church viewpoint, heretics were lost sheep who needed to be shepherded back to the flock. To be a proper heretic, one first needs a proper theological education. So, on the one hand the accused was faced with a secular authority who would use draconian measure to preserve the kingdom and the rule of law, on the other, a Church trying to save souls.

Hardly surprising then, then when accused of heresy, the majority chose the Inquisition over the local curcuit judge.

The evidence indicates that most people tried for heresy by the Inquisition were either acquitted or their sentences were suspended. Those found guilty were allowed to confess their sin, and so do penance. Usually a pilgrimage, or the wearing of sackcloth and ashes for a prescribed period.

When the inquisitor determined that the heretic was unrepentant, they were excommunicated and given over to secular authorities. Despite popular myth, the Inquisition did not burn heretics. It was the secular authorities that held heresy to be a capital offence, not the Church. (The Church knew full well what was going to happen — but then so did the heretic.)

The evidence makes clear that the Office of the Inquisition saved thousands of innocent (and even not-so-innocent) people who would otherwise have been executed by secular authorities or mob rule.

+++

By the 13th century the Inquisition represented the best legal practices in Europe.
By so doing, royal authorities sought to control the Inquisition in their own kingdoms. Instead of one Office of the Inquisition, there were now many. Despite the prospect of abuse, there were some monarchs who did their best to make sure their inquisitions remained efficient and merciful.

During the 16th century, when the witch craze swept Europe, it was those areas with the best-developed inquisitions (thus Catholic) that stopped the hysteria in its tracks. In Spain and Italy, trained inquisitors investigated charges of witches’ sabbaths and baby roasting and found them to be baseless. Elsewhere, particularly in Germany, secular or religious courts burned witches in large numbers.

Compared to other medieval courts, the Inquisition was positively enlightened. As someone pointed out, Galileo's house arrest was an unheard-of humanity, especially when Galileo had ensured that he had offended so many people (it was the scientific community who first complained to the religious authorities that Galileo was teaching a non-Biblical astronomy, because they were based in pre-Copernican and Aristotelian cosmologies.)

Why the credibility gap?

When most people think of the Inquisition, they think of the Spanish Inquisition.
Monty Python. Torquemada, The Three Musketeers and the evil cardinal Richelieu. The widespread and wholesale burning of witches.

They are repeating mythological memes.

Prior to 1530, the Spanish Inquisition was widely hailed as the best run, most humane court in Europe. There are records of convicts in Spain purposely blaspheming so that they could be tried by the Inquisition rather than the state.

After the Reformation however, new rivalries would give birth to the myth.

Spain was the wealthiest and most powerful country in Europe. The glut of gold and silver from her New World colonies destabilised European markets. Europe did not have the military clout, but it did possess a new weapon: the printing press. Spain lost the propaganda war.
The 'Black Legend' of Spain was forged.

The same propaganda machine was deployed to explain how the Reformers were not, as accused by Catholics, of inventing a new religion. Where were they in the previous 1500 years? The counter was it had been forced underground by the dogmatic Catholic Church. Where the Romans had persecuted Christians, the Roman Catholic Church had persecuted ... heretics! (Something increasingly harder to make stick as the Protestants began burning their own heretics.)

The Inquisition was an attempt to crush the hidden, true church, and the Spanish Inquisition, still active and extremely efficient at keeping Protestants out of Spain, was for Protestant writers merely the latest version of it.

By the 17th century, Enlightenment ideas were the talk of coffeehouses and salons across Europe. Inquisitions, both Catholic and Protestant, withered. The Spanish stubbornly held on to theirs, and for that they were ridiculed. Voltaire saw in Spain a model of the Middle Ages: weak, barbaric, superstitious. The Inquisition was derided by Enlightenment thinkers as a brutal weapon of intolerance and ignorance and a new, fictional Inquisition was constructed by those intent on seeing the end of religion in general and the Catholic Church in particular.

"Burning Times": (You can listen to it here)

In the cool of the evening they used to gather beneath the stars, in the meadow, circled near an old oak tree.
At the times appointed by the seasons of the earth and the phases of the moon.
In the centre often stood a woman, equal to the others and respected for her worth.

One of the many we call the witches, the healers and the teachers of the wisdom of the earth.
People grew in the knowledge she gave them, herbs to heal their bodies spells to make their spirits whole.
Hear them chanting healing incantations-calling for the wise ones celebrating in dance and song.

Chorus: Isis-Astarte-Diana-Hecati-Demeter-Kali-Inanna

There were those who came to power through domination, bonded in their worship of a dead man on the cross.
They sought control over all people, demanding allegiance to the church of Rome.
The pope commenced the inquisition – a war against women whose powers were feared.

In this holocaust, this century of evil, nine million European women died.
The tale is told of those who by the hundreds, holding hands together chose their deaths in the sea.
Chanting the praises of the mother goddess, a refusal of betrayal, women were dying to be free.

Chorus

Now the Earth is a witch, we still burn her, stripping her down with mining and the poison of our wars.
Still to us the Earth is still a healer a teacher and a Mother a weaver of a web that keeps us all alive.
She gives us the wisdom to see through the chaos, she gives us the courage it is our will to survive.

Chorus

My daughters grew up singing this while processing round the campfire at my father-in-law's Midsummer Gatherings. Later, when they asked me, I explained what a lot of nonsense it was, but so no harm in them singing it. My father-in-law and his partner often tried to draw me into 'discussion' on religious matters, which enabled them to then rant away to their heart's content ... I used to let them get on with it, for my kids' sake, really.

When my youngest won her degree in religion and philosophy, she witnessed one of these rants at a social gathering. Pa-in-law sounding off about the evils of organised religion, his partner joining in with even more extravagant accusations ... and my daughter watching me, smiling. Later she sidled over and said: "I never realised you had to put up with so much bullshit from people who know ••••-all about what they're talking about." – we can be outspoken in our house at times, too! :D

Note: sociologists have dismissed the 'century of evil' and the 'nine million dead', pointing out that the subsequent gender imbalance would have taken centuries to sort itself out. I think the total number killed in all has been revised to somewhere around 40,000.

Reactions: RJM
Article from The Guardian:

'Economists Peter Leeson and Jacob Russ of George Mason University in Virginia argue that the (witch) trials reflected “non-price competition between the Catholic and Protestant churches for religious market share”.

As competing Catholic and Protestant churches vied to win over or retain their followers, they needed to make an impact – and witch trials were the battleground they chose. Or, as the two academics put it in their paper, to be published in the new edition of the Economic Journal: “Leveraging popular belief in witchcraft, witch-prosecutors advertised their confessional brands’ commitment and power to protect citizens from worldly manifestations of Satan’s evil.”

They reach their conclusion after drawing on analyses of new data covering more than 43,000 people tried for witchcraft in 21 European countries.

The data shows that witch-hunts took off only after the Reformation in 1517, following the rapid spread of Protestantism. Leeson and Russ argue that, for the first time in history, the Reformation presented large numbers of Christians with a religious choice: stick with the old church or switch to the new one. “And when churchgoers have religious choice, churches must compete,” they say.

The phenomenon reached its zenith between 1555 and 1650, the years when there was “peak competition for Christian consumers”, evidenced by the Catholic Counter-Reformation, during which Catholic officials pushed back against Protestant successes in converting Catholics to the new ways of worshipping throughout much of Europe.

The new analysis suggests that the witch craze was most intense where Catholic-Protestant rivalry was strongest. Churches picked key regional battlegrounds, they say, much like the Democrat and Republican parties in the US now focus on key states during the presidential election.

This explains why Germany, ground zero for the Reformation, laid claim to nearly 40% of all witchcraft prosecutions in Europe. Scotland, where different strains of Protestantism were in competition, saw the second highest level of witch-hunts, with a total of 3,563 people tried.

“In contrast, Spain, Italy, Portugal and Ireland – each of which remained a Catholic stronghold after the Reformation and never saw serious competition from Protestantism – collectively accounted for just 6% of Europeans tried for witchcraft,” Russ observes.

By around 1650, however, the witch frenzy began its precipitous decline, with prosecutions for witchcraft virtually vanishing by 1700.'

Very good, ol' Tommy boy, I'll just add this for us lazy readers. Notice the ratio of trials-execution of Germany and Rome?
Untitled.jpg

Very good, ol' Tommy boy, I'll just add this for us lazy readers. Notice the ratio of trials-execution of Germany and Rome?
View attachment 1843
But you're not going to say you took this straight off Wikipedia. Without fully checking-out the reference notes for validity? You're not? Are you? Just asking ...

Last edited:
Italy wasn't part if the holy roman empire?

I tried to look up populations...what are numbers anyway if not compared per capita..

Italy wasn't part if the holy roman empire?
Italy wasn't a country then, but no mention does seem rather odd, unless the table assumes Italy as the home of the HRE?

I tried to look up populations...what are numbers anyway if not compared per capita..
Not sure that is entirely necessary, what those numbers point too is that different areas had vastly different odds of conviction depending on who presided over the trial. In 'Catholic areas' you are less likely to be convicted than in 'Protestant areas'.
Even if the "Holy Roman Empire" had a five times larger population than "Southern Europe" (which very well might be, I have no idea) it is not the number of trials but the outcome of trials I'm interested in here.

I'm glad to see that Sweden didn't show up on Thomas top 10 chart. Our hands aren't clean though. The original trial that started the panic for us originated in the north, far from the capital and slowly crept south. The King appointed a council to deal with this panic, a council with varying opinions on if these trials should be held at all.

Yes, I think the conviction rate was an inverse of the security of the state. Germany and Switzerland win hands down began Protestantism, and social instablility generally, was big there.

If I recall the hysteria here stateside was a bunch of petty girls trying to eliminate perceived challengers... Same thing was done in Afghanistan when the US was offering bounties for terrorists... Your neighbors poppy field was almost ready to harvest, collect the cash, send him to Gitmo, and take over his property, reap the rewards...

False accusations for personal gaini am sure were part of the process then as well?

False accusations for personal gain i am sure were part of the process then as well?
A very big part, I think.

Again, the 'little ice age' that hit Europe in the 17th century brought a whole new dimension of cold, rain, hail, freak weather ... it upset the eco balance too, so there were various 'plagues' — caterpillars was one, as I recall ... so plenty for the superstitious to get hold of, and plenty for the frightened, belligerent, avaricious or just plain old nasty to blame their neighbour for.

Wiki's got an interesting article on the Malleus Maleficarum, "The Hammer of Witches" which became the handbook on the matter from the 15th century on. Interestingly the Catholic priest who wrote it was kicked out of the Church, and the book declared a nonsense, not in line with Catholic theology nor its principles of demonology. It was this book that introduced the idea of witches being practitioners of Satanism (and of being an exclusive female sisterhood). The book was given no credence by the church and was never used by the Inquisition, but was taken up wholesale by secular authorities.

Not sure about the article's complete credibility. The sidenote on Hypatia is wrong, she wasn't killed by 'a mob of monks', and if we want to discuss that, I'll look up the notes on what actually happened.

Final background note: "During the Age of Enlightenment, belief in the powers of witches to harm began to die out in the West. For the post-Enlightenment Christians, the disbelief was based on a belief in rationalism and empiricism."
Is, I think, suspect too ... far too assuming that the Enlightenment ideas were embraced by all and sundry, and that the Enlightenment wasn't prone to superstition. It takes a lot longer than that to bring ideas round ...

Speaking only from what I've read in our history, torture was a common tool and later witnesses recanted their testimony. You were also offered leniency of you could point to other witches. It was a self-perpetuating system where personal gain only greased the wheel.

I came upon a quote from the archbishop Agobard of Lyon which I would translate as "Christians believe now in things that not even the infidels would". Again no sources, CORBET!

I bet we go back a long, long way to find the first people who had the idea that a testimony extracted under torture wasn't worth a light ... but the proponents of torture are usually more concerned in extracting what they're looking for, rather than the truth.

That reminds me of another thing I read on the wiki.
Under häxprocessen i Stockholm 1676 avslöjades dock flera av vittnena med lögn och erkände inför domstolen att de hade avgett falska vittnesmål. Som en följd av detta avbröts häxprocesserna tvärt i både Stockholm och i resten av landet. Bland de som bekämpade de många domarna och verkade för större rättssäkerhet fanns många präster av vilka den mest kända är kaplanen Noraeus.
It's at the point the trials had reached the Swedish capital. My translation:
During the witch trials in Stockholm 1676 several witnesses was revealed lying and admitted in court that they had given false testimony. As a result of this the witch trials was terminated immediately in both Stockholm and in the rest of the country. Among those who fought against the many convictions and worked for a more just rule of law where many priests of whom the most famous was the chaplain Noraeus.

Now this would support Protestantism in this case, and we know how much Thomas hates the Protestants, but it supports the larger argument that a religious institution can be the voice of reason and compassion.

Here's a source, CORBET!
Bengt Ankarloo: Satans reaseri (Stockholm 2007), s. 251ff

Thank you. This is all a very necessary and important enlightenment for me. In a nutshell: the vast majority of deaths from the inquisition were of supposed witches? Not heretics? But a period of 500 years is being considered.

What of the Catholic persecution of heretics, the 'Spanish Inquisition' started by Ferdinand and Isabella, continuing during the period of Popes Leo X and Clement, Phillip of Spain, Hasburg Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, Martin Luther and Cortez in South America? Also those executed in England by 'Bloody Mary'.

Last edited:
... estimates of the number of victims of the Spanish Inquisition during Torquemada's reign as Grand Inquisitor. It is thought unlikely that there were more than 2,000 executed for heresy. Hernando del Pulgar, Queen Isabella’s secretary, wrote that 2,000 executions took place throughout the entirety of her reign, which extended well beyond Torquemada's death...

Sorry, this is from Wikipedia, and I haven't deeply researched the sources.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomás_de_Torquemada

So we already have 2000 during the 30 year reign of Isabella of Castille.

The Catholic inquisition of heretics (and Jews and Moslems) was still pretty nasty?

Now this would support Protestantism in this case, and we know how much Thomas hates the Protestants...
Ow! I don't hate Protestants ... just trying to shake of generations of black propaganda, and counter the idea that the reformation was a snow-white and necessary counter to Catholicism.

Back