Susanne Langer and aesthetics

serpentina

Reaction score
What do people think of her nowadays? She was all the rage when I went to college in the 70s.

I'm afraid the name doesn't ring an immediate bell with me. Could you post a link and a bit of text about her?

Thank you. This is my first introduction to Susanne Langer. She was obviously influential but I seem to have missed her, What was it about her ideas that so enthused people?

What do people think of her nowadays? She was all the rage when I went to college in the 70s.

I just ran across her name, because I am writing my thesis and I am interested in perception and aesthetics, and one blog I was reading mentioned her name beside Arnheim; I thought I knew where I read it, but now I can't seem to find her name at all.
Besides, I am studying Art and Technology at Aalborg University, Denmark, and we have never come across her name, I don't think so, and even if she was mentioned we definitely did not linger on her.
But I do think she is an interesting figure :)

Why was she such a hot topic at your college - what did you study, and in which context did you talk about Langer? ^^

Philosophy majors at my college liked to give themselves airs and pretend this was light reading for them. One was a musician so championed Langer's book Philosophy in a New Key.
I much preferred RG Collingwood's The Principles of Art.

Back