Advice for a mystic new to Buddist Practice

Dusty,

Buddha taught many paths depending on the mind & spiritual inclinations of those he taught. Sometimes he made it very simple, as in this quote from the noble Dharmasamgiti Sutra:

"Then the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara said to [Buddha] the Blessed One, “Blessed One, bodhisattvas should not train in too many qualities. Blessed One, bodhisattvas should serve and understand one quality well, and then all the qualities of the Buddhas will be in the palms of their hands. What is that one quality? It is great compassion. Blessed One, through great compassion, all the qualities of the Buddhas are in the palms of bodhisattvas’ hands.
For example, Blessed One, wherever the treasures of a world-emperor goes, his army will go. In just the same way, Blessed One, wherever there is great compassion, there are all the qualities of a Buddha.
For example, Blessed One, when the sun rises, sentient beings engage in many activities. In just the same way, Blessed One, when great compassion rises, all the other qualities that lead to Awakening become abundantly active.
For example, Blessed One, all the sense-faculties, having mind as their basis, fully grasp their own objects. In just the same way, Blessed One, all the other qualities that lead to Awakening, having great compassion as their basis, fully perform their own functions.
For example, Blessed One, when life is present, the other faculties operate. In just the same way, Blessed One, when great compassion is present, all the other qualities that lead to Awakening operate."

If that 'panacea' approach appeals to you, I will try to follow up with more specific teachings based on Great Compassion.

Hello, i am interested in adding Buddist practice to my spiritual development.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

-DF-

There are many Buddhist schools, and many practices. You could just try some simple breathing meditation to calm the mind.

Back