Why do religions exist?

Remember, a lot of conflicts ostensibly about religion have nothing to do with religion, really. The war between Northern Ireland and the British government is not really about Catholics and Protestants, but about British hegemony. The war in the Middle East is not really about Muslims and Jews, but is territorial between Palestinians and Israelis.

Perhaps men love freedom?

And religion provides freedom ? I think not. If one looks back even a few thousand years one can see that religion is about, control, power and rules. No other single structure has caused more tragedies, genocide, and strife than religion. My advise RUN

Remember, a lot of conflicts ostensibly about religion have nothing to do with religion, really. The war between Northern Ireland and the British government is not really about Catholics and Protestants, but about British hegemony. The war in the Middle East is not really about Muslims and Jews, but is territorial between Palestinians and Israelis.

No, its about land being given to a specific group of people. The Jews claim the right to live where they do and site their prophets as the basis of their belief. make no mistake religion is a the center of it.

No, its about land being given to a specific group of people. The Jews claim the right to live where they do and site their prophets as the basis of their belief. make no mistake religion is a the center of it.

You make it sound so simple.

Reactions: RJM
And religion provides freedom ...

Yes. From above in this thread:

... Rulers have abused religion for material power.

But religions themselves actually have always offered people freedom from the yoke of oppression? Like the slaves in America. Their religious faith was their only hope and only joy.

The poor and untouchables in Asia have their religion as solace. It's not forced on them?

And religion provides freedom ? I think not.
And yet it does. The evidence is there in some of the most luminous and loved texts in any language. It's only the critics who refuse to acknowledge the good, as it rather unravels their arguments ...

If one looks back even a few thousand years one can see that religion is about, control, power and rules.
No, that's the abuse of religion. The same can be said of 'democracy', 'the family' ... in fact every institution and value you might hold dear.

No other single structure has caused more tragedies, genocide, and strife than religion.
No, this is a worn-out meme, a favourite of the anti-religious, and it's bogus.

No, its about land being given to a specific group of people.
No, you're taking a specific point and applying it universally. It's irrelevant to Buddhism, for example, except where nationalism comes into play, then the offences are not Buddhist per se, they're nationalism under the guide of Buddhism.

And religion provides freedom ? I think not. If one looks back even a few thousand years one can see that religion is about, control, power and rules. No other single structure has caused more tragedies, genocide, and strife than religion. My advise RUN

errr...

source.gif

I don’t think Religion can take most of the blame - The World Wars, Korea, Vietnam - Stalin killed a few - can’t put that on Religion.

No politician or monarch will ever be worshipped as Christ is worshipped, because their rule is based on narrow interest ... it is the universal eternal principles that Christ and the great ones have lived ... the example of Christ's life has been scorned or forgotten. He will not impose himself physically. We have to accept him spiritually; then alone will he bless us.
Yogananda Paramahansa.
The Divine Romance Volume 2
(The Permanent Monument of Christ-love)

Last edited:
"Why do religions exist?"

Religions exist due to multiple motives.
A person will abandon their initial religion if they judge that that religion does not adequately fulfill their motive(s), and/or if they judge that a different religion fulfills them significantly better. Those motives include the following:

1. One honest and innocent motive is that a person has an intuitive sense that there exists one or more higher powers who have greater knowledge and wisdom than any human; or in some cases, that there exists one or more persons who have greater knowledge and wisdom than anyone else. And so they believe in and follow the teachings of that being(s), be it divine or human. This particular motive motivates me personally.

2. A second honest and innocent motive is the mysticism motive.
In this motive, a person has an intuitive sense that there exists something supernatural that is beyond human control, and such people desire to get closer to that supernatural thing and to experience it. This is a second motive that motivates me personally.

3. In contrast to the honest and innocent motives, there is the dominance motive,
in which a person adheres to a religion because the religion provides them an excuse for satisfying their depraved dominance-indulging desires, and can give them a delusional sense of autotheism (self-godhood) while doing so. In those cases, psychopaths have written scriptures in the name of a god- scriptures which advocate brutal dominance-assertion against babies and children (foreskin amputation), disobedient or resistant children, adulterers, apostates, "blasphemers", and others. Many of the laws in the Torah, mostly execution laws, were written by one or more of such dominance-craving psychopaths. In addition to those dominance-indulging actions, a religion may also provide the opportunity to indulge in dominance-asserting threats upon other people- a threat to believe in the religion or else face some imaginary horrible punishment in an afterlife. Christianity and Islam both provide people with that threat opportunity. The psychological purpose of dominance-asserting aggressive behaviors is to fuel one's own delusional sense that oneself possesses one or more other individuals.

4. There is also another depraved motive, which is even more depraved than the previous one
(though it has some overlap with the previous motive):
It is the cultist mentality motive, in which a person has a desire to delusionally feel as if oneself encompasses other people, and to have the resulting delusion that other people need oneself to persuade them of something or even to force something upon them, or else the targetted people will not be satisfied in life, or they will die, or they will suffer some other bad fate. That "sense of encompassing" is a mixture of two component sensations, namely dominance (as in the previously-mentioned motive) and antagonistic expansion, and it often involves an autotheistic feeling. The core doctrine of Christianity (that people need to accept a specific person as their personal savior, or else suffer eternal torture) readily "plugs in" to that pre-existing desire, such that the self-proclaimed savior-person becomes psychologically associated with oneself.

Interesting thoughts, Insider! I notice that in the first two cases you include higher power(s), in the latter two, you don't.

Is it fair to say that you don't think higher powers can have psychological issues?

I notice that in the first two cases you include higher power(s); in the latter two, you don't.
All four motives lead to a belief in one or more higher powers (though in motive #3 a true belief is often not a necessity),
but in the latter two motives, the person feels like oneself is the higher power. Such people typically opt to believe in an omnipotent higher power in particular, because such beings have total power over other people.

Is it fair to say that you don't think that higher powers can have psychological issues?
I believe that depraved higher powers can exist, though simple observations show that such beings are not omnipotent;
and the existence of such beings would not negate the motives of individuals.

Last edited:
I hope that no one be offended by this thread,but it must be asked.
I am still researching and trying to make sense of what religion has caused people.
It has caused war's,and people sanity even people's lives, but I m still puzzled by how all these religious text power is centered from faith and beliefs.
You can't question anything or seek truth without being roasted in the hereafter.

I don't think religions caused much of anything. Human beings used various things which were around and which occurred to them to do all of those things you mentioned. Religions stem from human concerns and their interpretation of the world and their experience of it. Its become convoluted now, but if you just think a bit and go outside and think a bit more, you might come up with something as well. Religions are beliefs followed by actions related to or in response to those beliefs, and beliefs stem from observations including thoughts about things you experience, see, hear, or go through in some way.

I hope that no one be offended by this thread,but it must be asked.
I am still researching and trying to make sense of what religion has caused people.
It has caused war's,and people sanity even people's lives, but I m still puzzled by how all these religious text power is centered from faith and beliefs.
You can't question anything or seek truth without being roasted in the hereafter.
Is one sure religion is main cause of all kind of havoc?
I understand religion is one knowledge, and then living in this world from surviving in it..is another. With religions knowledge and knowing the successful knowledge in living, are nearly against each other! To which we know and what intentions is for..is our failure.
And what is the cause of all this going havoc?..It falls in failing in our choices.
Nothing is to be blamed for but our own selfishness in ways!

Last edited:
Back