Black Slave Pathos most modern piquant Christian Topic

Listening to the preacher, not expected to ask questions or hold differing opinions: certainly a piquant Christian topic (not exclusive to Christianity).

But back on topic. The Haitian revolution was not really fueled by Christian theoligy, as I remember my history class. There was quite a bit of African religion going on, with one leader performing rituals prior to an important attack and so on.

The mafia boss is imprisoned ---he is disenfranchised.

The imprisoned mass murder finds religion ---has an epiphany.

The dying man dies ---he is disenfranchised.

Lazarus raises from the dead ---has an epiphany.

The gentile woman is rebuked by jesus and has to call herself a dog before he deigns to help her: disenfranchised.

Judas goes to the authorities to report his group's plans for armed uprising: epiphany.

Am I doing it right?

The gentile woman is rebuked by jesus and has to call herself a dog before he deigns to help her: disenfranchised.

Judas goes to the authorities to report his group's plans for armed uprising: epiphany.

Am I doing it right?

The gentile woman was enfranchised? And demeaning herself is a disenfranchisement? A disenfranchisement from ...from what???
Disenfranchisement primarily refers to loss of one's vote etc etc. What was the woman loosing?

Judas's epiphany was "sin"? Thus he committed suicide? His epiphany led himself to suicide? ---and this is a piquant Christian topic???

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind explaining why you believe the black slave pathos is the most modern piquant Christian topic?
Modern Christians who are Black [and as Black Americans are at the leading edge of public exposure] themselves "represent" a rarefied unique Human experience ---not common to Caucasians et al. It only happened 2000 years after the Gospels had been in circulation.

I refer to the historic time line of those that encountered Jesus's message ...like the Crusaders had their epoch and the Protestants had their epoch [Germany's Martin Luther], Mormons had their "revelation", 3rd world colonist converts had their era, etc etc ... so under 200 years ago the Blacks came into ascendancy...

My OP was a empathetic contemplation of the subject that caused a train of thought that bloomed into the idea that, as they say, "I AM A MAN"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Man!

The gentile woman was enfranchised? And demeaning herself is a disenfranchisement? A disenfranchisement from ...from what???
Disenfranchisement primarily refers to loss of one's vote etc etc. What was the woman loosing?

She had to deny herself her own humanity, not entirely unlike the slaves.

Judas's epiphany was "sin"? Thus he committed suicide? His epiphany led himself to suicide? ---and this is a piquant Christian topic.

Maybe it was that he wanted out of a charismatic leader's suicide cult? Taking on the Roman empire with a band of poorly trained rebels amounted to suicide after all. Maybe he realized this, and that was his epiphany? Maybe he had a major depression, which led him to seek a savior in the first place, and this depression got him in the end, even after he freed himself?

Modern Christians who are Black [and as Black Americans are at the leading edge of public exposure] themselves "represent" a rarefied unique Human experience ---not common to Caucasians et al.
That must be why I don't get it, then. Thanks for clearing it up!

Maybe it was that he wanted out of a charismatic leader's suicide cult? Taking on the Roman empire with a band of poorly trained rebels amounted to suicide after all. Maybe he realized this, and that was his epiphany? Maybe he had a major depression, which led him to seek a savior in the first place, and this depression got him in the end, even after he freed himself?
and this is a piquant Christian topic how???

The computer software designer looses his job ---he is disenfranchised.

The AI Computer System develops its own personality and takes control and makes demands ---the computer had an epiphany.

The blacks were kept under control by brainwashing methodology.

I doubt it was good to manage Slaves that were kept unhappy everyday of their lives. I'd think that a happy & well fed slave was a productive slave ---time was money, as they say.

and this is a piquant Christian topic how???
  1. It is straight from the Gospels, the stories about Jesus, who is the foundational figure of Christianity.
  2. I was reminded of it by your topic, of how the slaves were forced to deny their own humanity by their masters.
  3. The dissonance resulting from the parallels between the evil slave master's acts and divine Jesus' acts is piquant.

Judas goes to the authorities ...
If you want to believe that much of the Gospel account, then why do you want to disregard the rest of it: that Jesus was not interested in leading an armed uprising?

... to report his group's plans for armed uprising

It is straight from the Gospels, the stories about Jesus, who is the foundational figure of Christianity.

Maybe it was that he wanted out of a charismatic leader's suicide cult? Taking on the Roman empire with a band of poorly trained rebels amounted to suicide after all.
Sheesh! Where are you getting this stuff?

Sheesh! Where are you getting this stuff?
From reading scripture, while muting out the Sunday School teacher's voice.

Many ways to read a text. Bhakta was asking me why I thought this particular story took that turn.

We could head over to the appropriate forum and do some cteative reading of the world's scriptures. Devadatta as a militant vegetarian? Lao Tsu as a disillusioned old bureaucrat spewing caustic verses at law and order? David had severe daddy issues...

But let's stay on topic in this thread. Poignant epiphanies.

From reading scripture, while muting out the Sunday School teacher's voice ...

Many ways to read a text.
Perhaps you missed a few bits:

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

It seems Christ was interested in guiding the disenfranchised to spiritual peace? I only came into this to help correct a complete polar misrepresentation of Christ's message to someone of another religion, who might actually believe you, ok?

Last edited:
Perhaps you missed a few bits:

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

It seems Christ was interested in guiding the disenfranchised to spiritual peace? I only came into this to help correct a complete polar misrepresentation of Christ's message to someone of another religion, who might actually believe you, ok?

Ok, but Jesus had other teachings, more violent ones, besides the beatitudes, for example Matthew 10:34 to the end of the chapter.

Some of his followers were really militants, Simon Zelotes and those involved in the armed struggle when he was captured.

There are many ways to read the old texts, depending on what is emphasized and what is not.

For the record, I prefer the Jesus who preached the sermon on the mound to the one who relished having people sent to the outer void, or into the fire, where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth.

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law ...

Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by everyone because of me ...

You can deliberately misinterpret that if you like, @Cino. It's clear he meant the choice is between God or the material world. And that the violence would be done towards them, not by them. It's always possible to grab words and use them as polar opposite to what they really mean.

To me it's strange that the a(nti)theist attitude seems to be that it's not a choice between door open and door shut, or computer on or off, but that there's no door or computer there at all? It's not about believing or not believing in God, but not even acknowledging the subject exists? Yet at the same time having a good interest in religion and being good with the selected out-of-context Bible quotes.

Anyway, here's how the chapter ends:

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me ... And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

Again, I just want that a person from a different religion who is not familiar with Christian scripture, should not be presented the polar opposite. So: back to your thread discussion with no more from me ...

(edited ... sorry)

Last edited:
So, was this suficciently piquantly Christian for you, Bhaktajan II?

Back