Christian morality and Sin

So it's direct contradiction between material/natural law (hold on) and spiritual law (let go)?

It's not fear of separation from God, instead I choose to be one with God and sin creates a spiritual barrier although I am still with God however, I will remain distant from God because of purity and goodness, My now tarnished nature cannot bear to be as one again without restitution.

(I'm looking for the Christian morality/sin topic after which you named this thread.)[/QUOTE]

Reactions: RJM
Nah, it depends on what you are holding onto...

Faith? Distrust? Material goods? Envy?

I've given this some thought, attachments, material goods envy etc, these things are not bad in themselves, however, when the heart is swayed into holding these things as his/her identity becoming idolized.

God knows my heart, wickedness, envy, materialism and any other behaviors that displease God would be revealed to me. Sin is knowingly disobeying God. God also protects me from sin and choices that potentiality could cause harm.

Anyone can have faith in something, however, I do not believe Faith in God is harmful

Anyone can have faith in something, however, I do not believe Faith in God is harmful

So when something harmful results from faith, it was wrong faith, not proper faith in God?

Sounds like an easy cop-out to me.

Last edited:
I'm going to show my ignorance, but didn't Lacan say similar things about the Real?
I'm going to match your ignorance and say ... I'm not that schooled on Lacan!

Had a look at a definition here at the Real à la Lacan and I can see a similarity, if we allow the radical differences ... glad to dialogue this, but I'm no expert ... interesting lead, though, so thanks for that, if this is as far as it goes.

I'm going to match your ignorance and say ... I'm not that schooled on Lacan!

Had a look at a definition here at the Real à la Lacan and I can see a similarity, if we allow the radical differences ... glad to dialogue this, but I'm no expert ... interesting lead, though, so thanks for that, if this is as far as it goes.
Phew! Heavy stuff ...

So when something harmful results from faith, it was wrong faith, not proper faith in God?

Sounds like an easy cop-out to me.
I didn't say that. Good and bad things happen with no particular pattern. Sometimes random stuff happens for no reason. Life is unpredictable, not necessarily from cause and effect

I agree that good and bad things happen very unpredictably.

As you know, I don't think it follows from that, that our actions don't have consequences or that we can't have any influence on the course of events.

I realize I misunderstood how you used the word "not harmful", which I took to mean a cause-and-effect relationship as in "causes no harm". Can you go into a bit more detail? Did you mean "it has no effect at all"? Still not sure I get you.

I agree that good and bad things happen very unpredictably.

As you know, I don't think it follows from that, that our actions don't have consequences or that we can't have any influence on the course of events.

I realize I misunderstood how you used the word "not harmful", which I took to mean a cause-and-effect relationship as in "causes no harm". Can you go into a bit more detail? Did you mean "it has no effect at all"? Still not sure I get you.
What I meant by cause and effect is two-fold. On the one hand looking at the Book of Job. Job was a good man, he reverently gave sacrifices honoring God. A demon comes along to throw lots with God against Job's faith. God agrees and the demon made Job's life miserable. The lesson here is stuff happens, Job did nothing wrong or against God but bad things happened to him. There life is unpredictable. In the Old Testament God continually warned Israel to behave themselves and turn from their evil ways until they were punished by God again and again.

I work at a 38 mental health living facility for severe to moderate symptomatic men and women. I am deeply saddened by the loss of life skills and ambition perhaps in comparison to my own life having experienced similar circumstances in my personal life.

Rule one is to refrain putting self in a equation that has virtually nothing to do with you. Second, I cannot judge another person's quality of life based upon what I know and feel. Only by becoming the other person may I understand.

Empathy gives me insight as to how I may console and help people.

Back