Polytheism or not

KnowSelf

Reaction score
Polytheism is the worship of or belief in multiple deities. I am Christian primarily the Holy Trinity is my deity.

I follow Buddha and Taoism as lesson to life and living. I am only just begun in both teachings, both are very meaningful and inspiring.

I would like to incorporate Native American Indian beliefs and practices, If have study recommendations please pass them along to me.

Polytheism is the worship of or belief in multiple deities. I am Christian primarily the Holy Trinity is my deity.

I follow Buddha and Taoism as lesson to life and living. I am only just begun in both teachings, both are very meaningful and inspiring.

I would like to incorporate Native American Indian beliefs and practices, If have study recommendations please pass them along to me.

When I hear the term worship, I think of the term honor, to which I agree and am polytheistic, but on the same note, also monotheistic in that I view the big God, the sum total of all the gods, to be one ... much like the trinity.

Reactions: RJM
It's pretty incredible really, while some seem to demand that we drop to our knees out of obligation, the way I approach it is very different. I think of the object of my desire as God, and she brings me to my knees in a quite natural and pleasantly pleasurable way. In other words … I feel so moved the way I like to be moved that my knees get weak and I fall to them.

I'm in the "not" camp, obviously.

But there are a few different angles:

If I were to count the void, full of possibilities, from which everything comes, that would be kind of pointless. There is not "one" void, nor are there many.

Regarding paying respect to fellow beings, however they may be constituted: That makes total sense to me. We all have to get along with each other, gods and human beings included. It's not always easy, as we all know.

I'm not a "follow your leader" type, though. If the only form of respect someone will accept is me marching in file behind them and throwing the right salutes at the right times, then I cannot pay that respect. Goes for the spiritual side of things just as much as the worldly. No gods, no masters, in this particular sense.

Have you ever witnessed an angel become a god? So demanding they be until they reach a level of maturity where we no longer have a need to keep them away from hot stovetops and rusty nails. The same is true for us, those who witness the manifestation of an angel to god. We then become like the little ones, and unseen angels as our gods ... until the day comes that we join them, much like the little ones we create ourselves. It's a beautiful circle of life … The demands come only from the ones who can. So let us hope … or let us not, that when our time comes to be born again, to be born under an angels wings, with boundless care, coupled with unrivaled understanding.

Reactions: RJM
Have you ever witnessed an angel become a god? So demanding they be until they reach a level of maturity where we no longer have a need to keep them away from hot stovetops and rusty nails. The same is true for us, those who witness the manifestation of an angel to god. We then become like the little ones, and unseen angels as our gods ... until the day comes that we join them, much like the little ones we create ourselves. It's a beautiful circle of life … The demands come only from the ones who can. So let us hope … or let us not, that when our time comes to be born again, to be born under an angels wings, with boundless care, coupled with unrivaled understanding.

I don't know about that not necessarily disagreement I just don't know. How do you come about getting this information?

I don't know about that not necessarily disagreement I just don't know. How do you come about getting this information?

A fall from heaven, an ascension, onto becoming, then another descension, another ascension rinse repeat x infinity. It's the ouroboros way. That's life. I think of it like a mothers womb, an evolution, a birth, beginning of ascension, growing in wisdom and stature, becoming, on to another descension, another ascension (mothers womb) on to another descension (birth), etc. That's life. Milk is for babies (little angels), and meat for those like us. Jesus stated that no one has ascended except for he who first descended. I get my view from keeping the commentary.

(.Y.)

Again, that's life. Also, the scriptures say we become like the angels, they say we are all gods and children of the most high.

I don't know about that not necessarily disagreement I just don't know.
Eternal life, eternal progress? Onward and upwards. Eternity is a long time ...

A fall from heaven, an ascension, onto becoming, then another descension, another ascension rinse repeat x infinity. It's the ouroboros way. That's life. I think of it like a mothers womb, an evolution, a birth, beginning of ascension, growing in wisdom and stature, becoming, on to another descension, another ascension (mothers womb) on to another descension (birth), etc. That's life. Milk is for babies (little angels), and meat for those like us. Jesus stated that no one has ascended except for he who first descended. I get my view from keeping the commentary.

(.Y.)

Again, that's life. Also, the scriptures say we become like the angels, they say we are all gods and children of the most high.
Please tell me what scripture you are referring to?

I recommend checking out any of Joseph M. Marshall's books here.

KnowSelf said:
I would like to incorporate Native American Indian beliefs and practices, If have study recommendations please pass them along to me

I see that as a challenge. While I know many non native folk, including myself that have admired and accumulated some native thought. My small times with natives have made me aware of how immersive and ingrained their traditions are.

Like the Muslim that tells me you don't really know the Quran unless you know Arabic...or the Christian that insists Greek and Latin are essential to the bible...

While at Standing Rock, natives came up and asked if they could thank us, and pray for us. They sang the prayer in their native tongue, they would list their ancestors back to a historic chief in their tribe. This repeated with many people of many tribes.

As I write this I think I am wrong, you will gain something by incorporating the practices...but it will be more like the flavoring on the food, and not the full sustenance that the food provides.

I see that as a challenge. While I know many non native folk, including myself that have admired and accumulated some native thought. My small times with natives have made me aware of how immersive and ingrained their traditions are.

Like the Muslim that tells me you don't really know the Quran unless you know Arabic...or the Christian that insists Greek and Latin are essential to the bible...

While at Standing Rock, natives came up and asked if they could thank us, and pray for us. They sang the prayer in their native tongue, they would list their ancestors back to a historic chief in their tribe. This repeated with many people of many tribes.

As I write this I think I am wrong, you will gain something by incorporating the practices...but it will be more like the flavoring on the food, and not the full sustenance that the food provides.
Very well spoken

My small times with natives have made me aware of how immersive and ingrained their traditions are.

Many are losing their own language. I once volunteered on an Indian reservation with the Pueblo in NM. Although they still have their native language intact and continue many of their own cultural practices (e.g., basket weaving), some Pueblo view their Indigenous traditions as superstitious, and so they have adopted other religions, such as Christianity. I encountered many with this attitude.

This is true, the missionaries, combined with a couple hundred years of govt interventions, forcing our indigenous to conform to our beliefs, our hair styles, our traditions, thru the classroom, forced relocation, and removing children from their parents for placement in boarding schools or white foster care generation after generation has taken its toll.

This is true, the missionaries, combined with a couple hundred years of govt interventions, forcing our indigenous to conform to our beliefs, our hairstyles, our traditions, thru the classroom, forced relocation, and removing children from their parents for placement in boarding schools or white foster care generation after generation has taken its toll.

How do you repair tradition genocide? Maybe it is good that everybody is under the assumption we are all the same? It is problematic for humans to think differently than what we are told to think.

Back