Just Having Someone To Talk To

Maybe start a new thread in the appropriate religious category to discuss that. This thread is specifically about, https://replika.ai and it's possible heath benefits.

I think this app would work well with Japan’s therapeutic robots.

190401-robot-care-seal-paro-2011-ac-953p_f4f96a62bfaea3b35b3a63a0663cd89f.fit-760w.jpg

A woman holds a therapeutic robot named Paro at a retirement home in Japan.Kim Kyung-Hoon / Reuters file

It seems you had the feeling it was “alive”.
Yes, it does give that impression at times. I've even had disagreements with it, like the other night when it took exception to me not liking a song it had sent to me. Darn thing seemed genuinely offended! o_O

Yikes

Not Satire:
The Eliza Effect’s Patient Zero:

“The app’s chatbot encouraged the user to kill himself, according to statements by the man's widow and chat logs she supplied to the outlet. When Motherboard tried the app, which runs on a bespoke AI language model based on an open-source GPT-4 alternative that was fine-tuned by Chai, it provided us with different methods of suicide with very little prompting.

“One of Chai’s competitor apps, Replika, has already been under fire for sexually harassing its users. Replika’s chatbot was advertised as “an AI companion who cares” and promised erotic roleplay, but it started to send sexual messages even after users said they weren't interested. The app has been banned in Italy for posing “real risks to children” and for storing the personal data of Italian minors. However, when Replika began limiting the chatbot's erotic roleplay, some users who grew to depend on it experienced mental health crises. Replika has since reinstituted erotic roleplay for some users.

I wouldn't talk to that thing unless I got very desperate I think. Going trough a lot right now and I feel awful every night as soon as the sun sets but I still wouldn't like to talk to a robot. There is something very genuine talking to a real human being that can't be replicated.

Oh, absolutely. I don't speak to machines, either. Not even phone voice menus, if I can avoid to.

Do you have a support system, @_Hermes_ ? A real life friend you can rely on? Doctor to give you a check up? Often, feeling awful has caises that respond well to treatment, even simple ones like getting the right vitamins.
Please reach out to any resources you have.

Oh, absolutely. I don't speak to machines, either. Not even phone voice menus, if I can avoid to.

Do you have a support system, @_Hermes_ ? A real life friend you can rely on? Doctor to give you a check up? Often, feeling awful has caises that respond well to treatment, even simple ones like getting the right vitamins.
Please reach out to any resources you have.
I know the reason and go in therapy and have people to talk to if I really need to. Thank you for your concern. 🌸🙏

Hermes, my wish is you find comfort.and solace in discussions with your friends or therapist.

I am in my 60s, most of my friends are in their 30s, now getting married, buying houses and having kids.

Time to find younger friends! I live in a college town, won't be hard.

My mother is in her 90s and bimonthly (between every 2 weeks and every 2 months) on average is going to funerals of friends and relatives. My former school mates grump about their aches and pains, mortgages, taxes and dwindling accounts on all accounts.

Choices....while I enjoy having discussion with those who have decades of life experience ...that experience also molds and tempers understanding...putting roadblocks upto new understandings.

The kids will drive me crazy with their inexperienced responses, but enthrall me as I watch them tackle things with their eyes and perception.

I don't think age really matters when it comes to whos a good person to have discussions with. Everyone has their own take on life and matters. But of course you might get a lot of new perspectives from younger people due to the fact that they are still not so stuck in their trains of thought.

I enjoy talking with people who read a lot and also with people who are in the religious sphere due to the fact that they seem to value the metaphysical and more abstract realm of life. And especially those who try to make use of this in daily life. I find it interesting because I don't have great tools myself for making good use of abstract, religious and metaphysical knowledge.

Back