Humanity's biggest challenge

Humanity's biggest challenge in the 21st century will be . . .

• religious terrorism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • global warming

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • automation

• immigration

• economic inequality

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • disease outbreak

• racism

• education

• other

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • overpopulation

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ahanu

Reaction score
What do you think will be humanity's biggest challenge in the 2020s and going forward in the 21st century? Global warming? Economic inequality? Automation? Immigration? The digital divide? Something else?

I think the widening gap between the rich and the poor has reached such extremes that it will cascade into the collapse of capitalism as we know it today, and I think it will be one of the biggest challenges of the 21st century as civilization finds ways to restructure itself around better systems of facilitating and managing human well-being . . . if it can do so.

Throughout history mankind have successfully or unsuccessfully been challenged by life and circumstances therein. In present day or the future it will not be one challenge that will test or destroy us as humans but conglomeration of many hardships and challenges we will face and continue onward until we no longer are apart of place and consciousness.

What do you think will be humanity's biggest challenge in the 2020s and going forward in the 21st century? Global warming? Economic inequality? Automation? Immigration? The digital divide? Something else?

I think the widening gap between the rich and the poor has reached such extremes that it will cascade into the collapse of capitalism as we know it today, and I think it will be one of the biggest challenges of the 21st century as civilization finds ways to restructure itself around better systems of facilitating and managing human well-being . . . if it can do so.
All of them probably. The Maltheus theory of population: When the world's population exceeds nature's ability to sustain it, then nature will reduce the population back to sustainable levels by war, famine, disease, etc.

Not suddenly all at once. But like microbes overbreeding on a petri dish, conditions of existence gradually worsen by overcrowding; the weak die off to reduce the population, and the strongest and hardiest survive to pass on to the new generation.

Last edited:
I voted 'other' because the poll only allows one choice.

Religious terrorism(& all terrorism), immigration, economic inequality, racism & (biased) education are all results of not seeing sameness in all people.
If we all really understood that we are one family, then we would treat each other as we would treat our loved ones.
Poverty, racism would not exist and education would be learning about science/the world etc. to make our existence an exciting opportunity to create something wonderful.

Sounds somewhat naive looking around the world, but that is what I am thinking.

Yay! Now we're cutting the gordion knot ...

As Craz says, nearly the entire list – if not all of it – can be put down to inequality, and as now, more than ever before, a greater proportion of the world's wealth is in the hands of fewer individuals, the underlying issue is fundamentally worse than ever.

Then politicians like Trump, Putin, etc., etc who actually play on that sense of inequality and injustice, come to the fore, which says something about human nature. The rise of the right, the same thing ... meanwhile, Delhi burns, and Syria, etc., etc. all shout it out.

All of them probably. The Maltheus theory of population: When the world's population exceeds nature's ability to sustain it, then nature will reduce the population back to sustainable levels by war, famine, disease, etc.

Added to poll.

Reactions: RJM

The biggest challenge is to bring about the true oneness of mankind. This will solve all those directly or indirectly.

There isn't too many of us, it's just that we are too wasteful with what we have.

On a related note . . .

We may likely be entering a global recession as a result of an unlucky and toxic combination of recent events, such as COVID-19 and the hard hit the U.S. oil industry received after Saudi Arabia slashed its oil prices, causing them to fall 30% on Monday. Some see COVID-19 from a sunny point of view as the last straw that breaks the camel's back before sparking a catalyst for change:

I do not doubt this for a moment. Every so often the world purges itself to basic needs to begin a new chapter of existence. This may be the time.

If we understand this to be true, hopefully, we are prepared to face the consequences.

My ancestors made it through two wars and displacements and assorted social upheavals in the last century. I don't think they were prepared, or would have understood what it meant beforehand, or profited in any way from being asked to prepare themselves.

I'm not prepared for what you predict, and have no clrar idea what that would mean.

Maybe that's what made them able to pass through their times somehow. Not knowing in advance what they would have to face eventually.

What do you think?

I don't think we ever prepare, really ... not as a species ... we just stumble on, come out the other side, look back and think we managed.

My ancestors made it through two wars and displacements and assorted social upheavals in the last century. I don't think they were prepared, or would have understood what it meant beforehand, or profited in any way from being asked to prepare themselves.

I'm not prepared for what you predict, and have no clrar idea what that would mean.

Maybe that's what made them able to pass through their times somehow. Not knowing in advance what they would have to face eventually.

What do you think?

Generally speaking our ancestors were less reliant on govts. and technology.

I think this will be the biggest step into oppression since 9/11. The laws being passed to give govts. more power, the fear being induced, the authority being exerted over the global population. All for what? A virus that 80% of the population will feel almost nothing if infected, likely to be well over 90% if you don't count people aged 70+.

I think it would of been much better in the long term to take extreme precautions when it comes to the elderly and those with weak or compromised immune systems and let the virus play its course among the rest of the population.

It is estimated that 500,000 people died from lack of cancer treatments and services due to the lack of funding caused by the 2008 gfc. That's just cancer, real figure probably in the millions.

Back