thinking

To be free, one must be allowed to think about anything he/she wishes to think about. Freedom of thought is freedom to think without restrictions imposed by third party regulators, religion etc.

Wicked in thought are those who act wickedly. It is. not what we think, but the manner in which we respond to thought.

Society condemns non-traditional outsiders from the fold due to fear of the unknown and loss of stability.

In early witch trials, men tortured and condemned women to death for thinking freely.

Early Christians were likewise condemned to death for thinking differently. Ethnic racial groups are not easily accepted into a different society due to lack of understanding, fear and rejection.

Eastern and Western society reject one another due to social difference, culture, and value of thinking differently.

Imagine the ability to think freely, without individual restraint or restriction? Is it wrong to think about death? Thinking freely gives us the ability to question and converse with God freely. God knows what we think anyway, so why not put your thoughts into words?

What if our verbal filter were removed, what would say?

Chaos and violence occurs when thoughts are suppressed and not dealt with.

Freedom to think allows all thoughts to enter our mind; conscious awareness channels response.

Even now as write this I am cautious not to say anything that may offend God. I am not a free thinker because if I were a free thinker I would exactly what is on mind without regard to God or anyone else.
Hi! Interesting post! Want to be sure I get it. Are you saying there are wrongs in word and wrongs in deed, but there are no wrongs in thought?

Potentially there is no wrong or right, the action may be determined right or wrong by individual and social standards.
It is not wrong to think

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+3:5-7&version=KJV
Proverbs 3:5-7 King James Version (KJV)

"5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil."

Even if I take a wrong step, God makes it right, brings it back to right -- directs my paths in all I do ...

Potentially there is no wrong or right, the action may be determined right or wrong by individual and social standards.
It is not wrong to think
Thanks for the reply. I find what you say fascinating, as I don’t yet grasp how it’s true! Maybe you can help me see?

So, when the individual believes his action to be right, but social standards deem the same action to be wrong, then who is right about his actions?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+3:5-7&version=KJV
Proverbs 3:5-7 King James Version (KJV)

"5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil."

Even if I take a wrong step, God makes it right, brings it back to right -- directs my paths in all I do ...
Like the quote! Makes sense one should trust a being who is wisdom. But should one trust one’s own ability to correctly interpret what this Lord says?

Reactions: RJM
Suppose political or social majority passed a law that prohibits cleanliness on Wednesdays and Saturdays. For sewer workers this presents a health concern, however, it is against the law to bath or wash two days week.

Is it better to disobey the law in this case to ensure one's health or jeopardize one's health but obey the law?

My point is think for yourself; not what you are supposed to do or believe.

Last edited:
Like the quote! Makes sense one should trust a being who is wisdom. But should one trust one’s own ability to correctly interpret what this Lord says?
I think I just try to act from my own highest level and take my steps and trust God to do the details?

Suppose ...
Tricky.

Is it better to disobey the law in this case to ensure one's health or jeopardize one's health but obey the law?
Depends whether in so doing one places other lives in jeopardy.

Consider: to tackle the current pandemic, countries have employed a lockdown policy — social distancing, minimum time spent in public places, etc.

There are those who think such a ruling is unnecessary — better to accept the inevitable death-toll than accept a reduction of civil liberties. There are those who acknowledge the risks of contagion, but still think personal freedoms trump that (pun intended). There are those who really don't care about their neighbour. There are those who're going to carry on just as they have.

My point is think for yourself; not what you are supposed to do or believe.
It's a general rule that people do not think. They react. They think they're thinking, but really, to paraphrase Gilbert & Sullivan: "They never thought of thinking for themselves at all"

People are inescapably the product of their times. For the most part, we absorb the way of the world, and even when we rebel, we rebel along well-worn paths under the illusion that we're carving our own trail. To think for oneself requires concentration, meditation, introspection, reflection. It means looking at all sides equally, and coming to a position through a thorough investigation and analysis of all the available evidence.

If people thought, we'd not have the politicians we have, the systems we've got, the injustices we suffer, the world as it is ...

Tricky.

Depends whether in so doing one places other lives in jeopardy.

Consider: to tackle the current pandemic, countries have employed a lockdown policy — social distancing, minimum time spent in public places, etc.

There are those who think such a ruling is unnecessary — better to accept the inevitable death-toll than accept a reduction of civil liberties. There are those who acknowledge the risks of contagion, but still think personal freedoms trump that (pun intended). There are those who really don't care about their neighbour. There are those who're going to carry on just as they have.

It's a general rule that people do not think. They react. They think they're thinking, but really, to paraphrase Gilbert & Sullivan: "They never thought of thinking for themselves at all"

People are inescapably the product of their times. For the most part, we absorb the way of the world, and even when we rebel, we rebel along well-worn paths under the illusion that we're carving our own trail. To think for oneself requires concentration, meditation, introspection, reflection. It means looking at all sides equally, and coming to a position through a thorough investigation and analysis of all the available evidence.

If people thought, we'd not have the politicians we have, the systems we've got, the injustices we suffer, the world as it is ...
It is sad to recognize a deficit of non-thought in the world, but more disheartening is the lack of ability to think fresh thoughts and ideas.

Ability is one thing .. intention and denial is another. :)
I know! Right? I like how Socrates put it: “To know thyself is the beginning of wisdom.” But I suppose one who has a strong beginning to a race might still fail to cross the finish line?

The details: You mean making it clear to you what you should trust or do?
Look at the big objective and the fine details seem to work themselves out. For that particular application. The fact is it works in actual practice in the real world.

It is sad to recognize a deficit of non-thought in the world, but more disheartening is the lack of ability to think fresh thoughts and ideas.
It's such hard bloody work ...
It's like checking Facebook conspiracy theory posts for actual source and evidence. It's mostly all downright deliberate half-truths and quotes out of context, and often deliberate lies.

The majority don't bother to fact-check: they swallow it and share it, and act on it and vote on it. And don't think they'll thank you for showing them it's false; instead they'll be angry with you because they think you've made a fool of them.

Not will it change their mind about the conspiracy theory. This present corona crisis is breeding conspiracy theorists like fungus on a petri dish, lol

Not will it change their mind about the conspiracy theory. This present corona crisis is breeding conspiracy theorists like fungus on a petri dish, lol
I have an opinion that the modern conspiracy theorist is a continuation of the religious superstitionist of the past. It's the same thing.

I also opine that under it all is a need for someone/something to be in charge. These guys need the reassurance that secret powers are controlling the world; the idea that 'sh*t happens', that random events are just in the nature of the finite and the contingent, is too much, too cold, to contemplate.

Back