Christian; finding truth in Buddhism

KnowSelf

Reaction score
Buddhist principals of life makes sense to me. However, I am not prepared to make full shift from Christianity to study Buddhism, nor do I believe it necessary to have a fulfilled spiritual and knowledgeable life.

Life is fascinating!

Buddhist principals of life makes sense to me. However, I am not prepared to make full shift from Christianity to study Buddhism, nor do I believe it necessary to have a fulfilled spiritual and knowledgeable life.

Life is fascinating!

I enjoy studying Buddhism. That doesn't make me buddhist. I disagree with vast parts of the doctrines.

It is very similar to Christianity in some ways, and radically different in others. Studying it can lead to a clearer view of your own positions.

And yes, life is fascinating!

I enjoy studying Buddhism. That doesn't make me buddhist. I disagree with vast parts of the doctrines.

It is very similar to Christianity in some ways, and radically different in others. Studying it can lead to a clearer view of your own positions.

When I was very young and in the military I began to really understand my own culture when I was suddenly plopped into other countries and other cultures. It was the same for the religion I was born into. Christianity began to make more sense when I started to study other ideas, like Buddhism, Taoism, Advaita, and many others. The Buddha taught the truth of suffering and the causes of suffering. He laid out a path to follow to relieve that suffering. Christ laid out a similar path on the other side of the same elephant. :)

Life is fascinating!
Yes, that's true, there's a lot of truth in Buddhism. It's also true that you don't have to study Buddhism closely to have a spiritual life.

There are, of course, different doctrines, and scriptures that seem to contradict each other. That is to be expected from a religion that was written down much later.

There are, of course, different doctrines, and scriptures that seem to contradict each other. That is to be expected from a religion that was written down much later.

Can you point to some of these passages or doctrines? I enjoy exploring these kinds of things.

The definition of being a Christian is simple. If a person believes Jesus can take away their sins, and if they think belief in Jesus is necessary to enter Heaven, that person is a Christian. If they don’t think these things, they are not a Christian.

The definition of being a Christian is simple. If a person believes Jesus can take away their sins, and if they think belief in Jesus is necessary to enter Heaven, that person is a Christian. If they don’t think these things, they are not a Christian.
What do you call a person who believes lessons to be learned from what are purported to be the teachings of jesus valuable in everyday life?

I'd have thought it was the Apostle's creed?

In any case, the equivalent for Buddhism would be something like taking Refuge in the Three Jewels (Budha, Dharma, Sangha), and taking the Five Precepts (abstaining from murder, theft, rape, lying, and intoxicating substances).

At least the refuge part would kind of clash with the Creed, I think.

I'd have thought it was the Apostle's creed?
More apposite, I would have thought.

Refuge in the Three Jewels I can see as an equivalent to the profession of the Creed.

As I understand it, the Five Precepts evolved over time, and I wonder if through the same kind of tribulations Paul faced, in that not all Christians were necessarily saints?

More apposite, I would have thought.

Refuge in the Three Jewels I can see as an equivalent to the profession of the Creed.

As I understand it, the Five Precepts evolved over time, and I wonder if through the same kind of tribulations Paul faced, in that not all Christians were necessarily saints?

The story goes that the first monks ordained were already enlightened when they took their vows, so they did not need any precepts, and that the monastic rules developed as the order grew and less exalted people were ordained, and certain incidents had to be addressed. The Book of Monastic Rules (Vinaya) contains origin stories for each rule, some of which are quite entertaining to read. Yes, a lot like Paul's tribulations.

Four of the five lay precepts can be derived from the Noble Eightfold Path. The one regarding intoxicants is probably a later addition.

I think you probably know those passages and doctrines better than I do. I had nothing particular in mind when I said that.

But can you think of any? The Baha'i faith numbers the Buddha Dharma as one of the legitimate dispensations prior to Baha'u'llah's, if I remember correctly. What are your thoughts on the specifics of Buddhist doctrine and discipline? I would welcome your contributions.

…the equivalent for Buddhism would be something like taking Refuge in the Three Jewels…

Yes, taking Refuge is seen as the moment when a person becomes a Buddhist. But if a person were to follow Buddhist precepts without actually taking Refuge, I would still call this person a Buddhist. (Other people may disagree with me.)

...the first monks ordained were already enlightened when they took their vows, so they did not need any precepts...

Let’s look at this from the other direction. Anyone who is enlightened is already following a number of precepts, so there is no need for them to go through a ceremony where they agree to follow precepts they are already following.

What do you call a person who believes lessons to be learned from what are purported to be the teachings of jesus valuable in everyday life?

They would be someone who does not believes Jesus can take away their sins, and does not think that belief in Jesus is necessary to enter Heaven, so I would not call that person a Christian, I would call them a non-Christian. The Christian faith is very clear that people who do not accept Jesus will go to hell.

They would be someone who does not believes Jesus can take away their sins, and does not think that belief in Jesus is necessary to enter Heaven, so I would not call that person a Christian, I would call them a non-Christian. The Christian faith is very clear that people who do not accept Jesus will go to hell.
Paul said to put the mind of Jesus in our mind, and Jesus said we could. He said 'I am' the light and the way, and that he and the 'I am' are one..so who.is the light and the way? The temporary incarnation of G!d on earth or G!d?

Then there is that pesky line about doing everything he did and more....now who is the light and the way?

But can you think of any? The Baha'i faith numbers the Buddha Dharma as one of the legitimate dispensations prior to Baha'u'llah's, if I remember correctly. What are your thoughts on the specifics of Buddhist doctrine and discipline? I would welcome your contributions.

You might enjoy this Baha'i philosopher's paper on the Luminous Mind here.

The Christian faith is very clear that people who do not accept Jesus will go to hell.
Some fundamentalist denominations might put it that way, and certainly those who choose to criticise Christianity often do, but really, here at IO, it's neither accurate nor conducive to reasoned discussion across faith horizons.

Back