How Can We Attract New Members...?

Go, open a thread on this, outside this "feedback" forum, it's an interesting topic. New users are more likely to be attracted by lively discussion.
Or ask NJ to move this one? Where to do you suggest?

When I first found this forum back in 2005, there was a different vibe because of the members we had back then. I think some of the members formed a group dynamic that was built around not just erudite discussion, but real caring as well. Older members like Thomas, Wil, Juan, Vajradhara, Flowperson and others created an atmosphere of support and caring in addition to the vigorous debates.
In his seminal work Emotional Intelligence at Work, Daniel Goleman outlined the personality types it takes to make up a successful team. In that assessment, he noted that having at least one member who was a nurturing presence was critical.
Also, there were members who represented other archetypes as well, from the ultra conservative Quahom1 to the jolly trickster 17th Angel.
It was this diversity of roles that seemed to make IO an interesting place.

And as far as younger people go, I've found on Reddit that they do indeed have something to bring to the table. I find many of them to have a superior sense of social intelligence and tend to be drawn to that. I once opined that many of the discussions tended to end in a stalemate because too many of us were just here to reiterate our own ideas and concepts without being open to changing our minds about something. That sentiment was not well received by some because they seemed offended by the notion.

So I think maybe there should be some introspection about what kind of environment we have created, being brutally honest with ourselves about what we can do differently not only on the outside, but the inside as well.

The homepage is out of date. Brian's wonderful apocrypha section, which is such a great achievement and unique to IO, needs updating with the full 'Gospel of Thomas' which has now been found complete.

Last edited:
Go, open a thread on this, outside this "feedback" forum, it's an interesting topic. New users are more likely to be attracted by lively discussion.

(To practice what I preach, I updated the "Flower Garland Sutra" thread a few minutes ago ;) )
I threw something together under Comparative, because that section needs a little love.

And as far as younger people go, I've found on Reddit that they do indeed have something to bring to the table. I find many of them to have a superior sense of social intelligence and tend to be drawn to that. I once opined that many of the discussions tended to end in a stalemate because too many of us were just here to reiterate our own ideas and concepts without being open to changing our minds about something. That sentiment was not well received by some because they seemed offended by the notion.

Then there are the ones who really just post unintelligible walls of text which most people cannot make head or tail of. ... imo

Now you Might actually come to Figure out Why i Post Long Wall's of Text; And Why i don't Make Things Plain. If You Actually Might Ponder further of your own indignation, you might see that no one will make plain their intentions unless this Place here is willing to be a safe and a place to Post Threads and Messages without being attacked by the 1% of Members that Roam around this Place.

IAMinyou Words Would normally be quoted here for they fit in perfectly; But seen that this Thread is no longer existing, i'm unable to make a case for him without simply saying for eyes to be opened. I won't elaborate more on that Seen it is still the same Place That does not give place to the roaming around without being incarcerated or Elsewise by the 1% Which is in Most Cases the Moderators themselves. Seen this Place Keeps a Tight Eye on Others, Without this Very Post/Thread and it's Conclusion; How would you see how ill you are in the Regards to this Topic's Theme of Member's Themselves. As RJM Corbet has already received my memo on This in a PM Conversation; I'm Simple Stating the Same Thing over Again; With a More Liberal Take. Unless This Place Changes, No one Will Come; Furthermore; Stay, Seen it is Hostile to New Ideas and New Members Opening/Finding their Way.

In order to have success in any of these forums, freedom of speech is necessary, no matter what kind of language is used. Otherwise they die with only a few members who are making sure everyone else is complying to the(ir) rules. Some of those members become very clever in the way they can cause (Others) anger but they never get banned. It's the one's they intimidate who get banned. This is why most religious forums end up being controlled by atheist's who know how to intimidate and get you angry and say things that get you banned.

I'm Not gonna play the Contributor here Seen it is Not My Fort to Change this ForumsPlace beyond it's Norm; But Like IAMinyou, We See the Flaws of this Place as with Any Place; and i DO NOT know him personally, But Truth Speaks if ONE has EARS to hear; The Reality is, YA/YOU&YOU Were NOT Ready For him to JOIN YA on This Undergoing; YET he Took a fall for ya to become to this Place of/in Mind. And Yet Whether Ya will Change It (this Forum or Your Heart) is Questionable Seen that if the heart is not True; Nothing will happen. It will be simply dismissed and ... So i will leave it to Fate, Seen you Cast out a Servant of ... Whom You Do not aknowledge. But this is neither ill intending nor Hateful; But a Simple Fact as i've said; Not my Fort to make Change to a people or Place Unwilling. So the Ball is in/@ Your Court, The Essences are Watching; Whether banned or not, I Remain Clear. Sometimes it takes a Sacrifice For People to Open Their Eyes:

..The last one however, brought up an interesting issue.

FIRST You misunderstand his intentions and THEN you take What Gain you RECEIVED to Bring about change: Is this Honorable? But ya did what ya had to do, So did they who Crucified YOUR Lord. i rest my case...

Last edited:
Now you Might actually come to Figure out Why i Post Long Wall's of Text; And Why i don't Make Things Plain. If You Actually Might Ponder further of your own indignation, you might see that no one will make plain their intentions unless this Place here is willing to be a safe and a place to Post Threads and Messages without being attacked by the 1% of Members that Roam around this Place.

IAMinyou Words Would normally be quoted here for they fit in perfectly; But seen that this Thread is no longer existing, i'm unable to make a case for him without simply saying for eyes to be opened. I won't elaborate more on that Seen it is still the same Place That does not give place to the roaming around without being incarcerated or Elsewise by the 1% Which is in Most Cases the Moderators themselves. Seen this Place Keeps a Tight Eye on Others, Without this Very Post/Thread and it's Conclusion; How would you see how ill you are in the Regards to this Topic's Theme of Member's Themselves. As RJM Corbet has already received my memo on This in a PM Conversation; I'm Simple Stating the Same Thing over Again; With a More Liberal Take. Unless This Place Changes, No one Will Come; Furthermore; Stay, Seen it is Hostile to New Ideas and New Members Opening/Finding their Way.

I'm Not gonna play the Contributor here Seen it is Not My Fort to Change this ForumsPlace beyond it's Norm; But Like IAMinyou, We See the Flaws of this Place as with Any Place; and i DO NOT know him personally, But Truth Speaks if ONE has EARS to hear; The Reality is, YA/YOU&YOU Were NOT Ready For him to JOIN YA on This Undergoing; YET he Took a fall for ya to become to this Place of/in Mind. And Yet Whether Ya will Change It (this Forum or Your Heart) is Questionable Seen that if the heart is not True; Nothing will happen. It will be simply dismissed and ... So i will leave it to Fate, Seen you Cast out a Servant of ... Whom You Do not aknowledge. But this is neither ill intending nor Hateful; But a Simple Fact as i've said; Not my Fort to make Change to a people or Place Unwilling. So the Ball is in/@ Your Court, The Essences are Watching; Whether banned or not, I Remain Clear. Sometimes it takes a Sacrifice For People to Open Their Eyes:

FIRST You misunderstand his intentions and THEN you take What Gain you RECEIVED to Bring about change: Is this Honorable? But ya did what ya had to do, So did they who Crucified YOUR Lord. i rest my case...

Ok, so I think there may be some misunderstanding all the way round here. I believe there are times you feel misunderstood and unappreciated and further, that others are being treated less than fairly. I can see how you would react to things this way. Maybe we need to have a deeper discussion about our cultural norms here and what our group values actually are.
There is a code of conduct here at IO but what spawned that code is really an attempt to regulate a community, and that's like herding cats.
Would you be open to such a discussion?

@SæEagle So on one hand you resent the 1% who you feel try to impose their communication style on the rest. On the other hand you insist on imposing your own highly non-standard writing style on everyone else. I think you are setting a double standard, one for you, and one for everyone else. Why do you do this?

Last edited:
But seen that this Thread is no longer existing, i'm unable to make a case for him
The thread is still existing. But as he wasn't interested in observing the common courtesy of conduct that defines IO, he is not here anymore to respond. However you can still make a case for him by posting on the threads he started? Others may still be interested, and perhaps he still reads them as a guest?
Now you Might actually come to Figure out Why i Post Long Wall's of Text; And Why i don't Make Things Plain. If You Actually Might Ponder further of your own indignation
I'm not indignant. That's the wrong word. I am irritated that someone writes in a way that is on purpose hard to understand, and still expects everyone to hang on his every word. Of course that is your own choice, how you like to write. But it is irritating and difficult. Imo

For me it's mostly like trying to move water with a sieve, so often I don't bother to read it too carefully. And I regard myself as average, so most other people just skim it too, probably ?

You admit that you can write in a way that is easier to understand, and in the above post you have managed to do so, generally. So thanks for that ;)

Last edited:
@SæEagle So on one hand you resent the 1% who you feel try to impose their communication style on the rest. On the other hand you insist on imposing your own highly non-standard writing style on everyone else. I think you are setting a double standard, one for you, and one for everyone else. Why do you do this?

I'm imposing nothing on my side @Cino; i'm simple contributing in the way known to not receive feedback that is already notice prior of the darker side. This is to them who understand these norms that are set by Forums or Government in general to be the fact. But if we go into Politics i'd rather stay out seen it can go too deep and i'm not willing to insight to much on it without a payback that i know will never come. So i'm simply stating the fact that i'm writing it this way, because... their is no other way to write and bring forth knowledge that actually might be seen to them who listen.

You admit that you can write in a way that is easier to understand, and in the above post you have managed to do so, generally. So thanks for that ;)

IT is not difficult to write such; but inappropriate When the Group of Reign Which is associate with Bullies; Does not know what they actually are doing. For Which you have seen such in the comprise of this Present day of Membership lack to this very point. So you see; Morerather the Forum Must change. If it wants contribution of words that speak plain; Otherwise it will simply get spoken over their heads; and Such valor will compromise what ought this Forum to become. Many people are listening, and Many people are watching; But them who are actually to listen, and them who are actually to watch do not; So theirin Lies the Problem; the Mod's. The Group IAMinyou meant was in actually the Mod group seen they have been members for years and Posted Most of the stuff; and Keep the keys to this Forum; It's not easier to see what you do; unless you sense by the heart the Notion for Which you Do. But Ya have questioned it in prior by this thread; But Whether it actually comes through and hit's, is a matter containing to the Session, Matter of Heart.

So i Can't Say to Much about; Even if known. Seen it is not My Place to Change Heart's, Each Man is dutiful to their own intents and the Value they Cherish for themselves. I Can but Reveal What i ought and with Balance more. But This is then the Opening of the Discussion For Which i Cease Right to Contribute in Any Way shape or Form, for Myself and the Well Being of them Who Ought;...

Would you be open to such a discussion?

My Openness is not up for Discussion; But i'm Willing. And For this Grace has been imparted.

Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?" He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."

Hi @SæEagle
I only skim though your text because it's a bit much for me, but if I understand you right then you wish that the admin change or abolish the code of conduct. That isn't likely to happen. There are other sites with looser rules, and then there are sites like these with more rules, I think that it's good that both exist. If anyone want to discuss with us something in accordance with the code of conduct as it is we would very much want them to join in! If the regulars here feel adventures we might join you in the less regulates areas of the wild wild webs.

Hope to see you in future discussions!

... they have been members for years and Posted Most of the stuff; and Keep the keys to this Forum ...
Have you read some of the interesting thoughts they have posted over the years, on the forums they created?
But Whether it actually comes through a
And that's the issue, imo? You need to be heard, it would be easier you expressed it more clearly?

However IMO your newer posts have definitely been more concise and easier to understand than some of the older ones. So once again, thanks :)

Last edited:
I joined Religious Forums for a while:
https://www.religiousforums.com/

But I was immediately set upon an aggressive wolf pack of fierce new atheists basically demanding: 'If God exists, so prove it'. Some of them were ridiculously self opinionated. It was not a good experience for me.

:) That's a busy site. I was also posting there for a while.
However, I didn't like the interface. It was taking a long time to load the page .. and the adverts annoyed me.
I didn't mind trying to "see off" the atheists, though ;)

Reactions: RJM
..So how can we attract decent new members and by that I mean serious individuals not out to disrupt things and encourage existing members to participate? I'm at a loss myself, so I put it you guys. What do you think we should do?

I think we need to have patience, and over the winter there might be a few, valuable, new members.
I also think that if we work on expanding the website, "google" is smart enough to know that our site is important ;)

I would suggest members advertise this site on their personal blogs, their personal websites, their social media (if their followers tend to be of like-mind).

I've been on many forums throughout the years and this is very common; most members on any site are "lurkers", with only a few regular posters. I tend to be a regular poster as I feel for me personally it's not the best use of my time not to be talking to others on a forum, but just reading posts.

I find other faith forums full of arrogant, insulting, condescending people; I'm aware that I'm too new to really know how all the member's personalities here but after just reading a few posts, I feel this site is different, with people here more mature, humble and polite in discussing faith with others. This one and an interfaith/astrology site are the only forums I am a member of.

I find other faith forums full of arrogant, insulting, condescending people; I'm aware that I'm too new to really know how all the member's personalities here but after just reading a few posts, I feel this site is different, with people here more mature, humble and polite in discussing faith with others. This one and an interfaith/astrology site are the only forums I am a member of.
Oh, we have our squabbles from time to time, but for the most part you'll find a great bunch of diverse individuals here. Most are quite well educated and knowledgeable on a variety of topics. We try to discourage the "my god can beat up your god" mentality found on some other faith forums in favor of peaceful discussion, with the main goal being to share and learn from one another. :)

Is this still something people are working on? Any new thoughts?
I think it would be great to have even more diverse people from more diverse backgrounds to talk to.
I would love it if everyone from before my time came back to say hi and stayed awhile.
What do people think about trying to attract new people? I have shared the link to the page with a few friends on Facebook.
I only looked around a little, but I haven't been able to find any other interfaith blogs. I used to love Beliefnet, the way it was in the early 2000s.
But I don't really know of any others.

Yes and no. It is a constant issue. We (the royal we meaning "they") are a skeleton crew that maintains the forum. The issue with trolls and cyber attacks and computer and forum issues are handled mostly because we are small, not enough clicks to warrant worthy of stealing our identification markers.and data.

Growth means more...of everything, more prophets and martyrs, more ignoring of CoC and site general decorum.

Increased usage would mean more mods reading and maintaining threads and forums.
Would necessitate paid techies...and ad revenue and maybe lawyers and non profit status...err...a board....

Currently I believe we have not chosen to leave Schrodinger's cat in Pandora's box, just not had a concensus to open it.

The technical forum infrastructure can take more users. It runs on professional hosting and uses commercial software. So the tech admin load is quite minimal.

If we get many more users, there will be more mods.

I don't think we'll ever need legal teams or paid staff.

Back