Sukkot

Someone once told me about desiccated lulavs piling up in their basement (they didn't want to be disrespectful and just chuck them in the trash). Is it really such a challenge to dispose of a lulav properly, or were they just telling a good story?

Someone once told me about desiccated lulavs piling up in their basement (they didn't want to be disrespectful and just chuck them in the trash). Is it really such a challenge to dispose of a lulav properly, or were they just telling a good story?
A lulav should not be just tossed into the trash, although it can go into the trash if it is wrapped separately. A lulav can be used for compost. A lulav can be held onto and then used to burn, and be burned with, chametz (leavened products) prior to Passover. It’s really not that hard to dispose of a lulav.

A lulav should not be just tossed into the trash, although it can go into the trash if it is wrapped separately. A lulav can be used for compost. A lulav can be held onto and then used to burn, and be burned with, chametz (leavened products) prior to Passover. It’s really not that hard to dispose of a lulav.
Thank you! Then the person who lamented the state of their basement was just finding excuses for not cleaning up.

Thank you! Then the person who lamented the state of their basement was just finding excuses for not cleaning up.
Did you actually see the lulavs in the basement?

If the person who told you such a pile was in the basement was, in fact, telling the truth, it may be that the person was simply uninformed as to acceptable methods for disposal.

Reactions: RJM
Did you actually see the lulavs in the basement?
No. It was years ago, and the conversation was not very serious. We were in the coffee kitchen at work, discussing the fire hazard of christmas trees, boasting how long some of us were procrastinating the task of getting them out of the house, when said person brought up the lulavs in their basement.

@RabbiO חג שמח (happy holiday)

אל תשתכר יותר מדי (don't get too drunk):eek::cool:
I wouldn't think of it. What was it the Rambam wrote? - When a person eats and drinks on a festival, the person shouldn't drink to excess, declaring that the more one can drinks, the more it enhances the commandment of joy. Getting drunk is not a joy, but rather it's being wild and foolish.

I wouldn't think of it. What was it the Rambam wrote? - When a person eats and drinks on a festival, the person shouldn't drink to excess, declaring that the more one can drinks, the more it enhances the commandment of joy. Getting drunk is not a joy, but rather it's being wild and foolish.

Growing up in an orthodox community, plenty got tipsy during Sukot as well as on Purim(I loved clacking).

Back