Happy Diwali 2020

Namaste Jesus

Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai
Veteran Member
Reaction score
125302295_3230625067046677_4135614112518536020_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/RadioFijiTwo/videos/3546678928758083/

Yeah, a happy Diwali and New Year to you. People in Delhi did not observe mask regulation or distancing. We are suffering and will suffer more because of it. Fire crackers increased the already high pollution. We had a death in the family, so no celebration. Just the puja and not much else.
You have a nice long puja (what should I say) counter. Our puja in a marble temple-type structure is quite crowded. But with the the same / similar idols and images, except for the one in the left-hand corner of the counter - who is that? Mary?

Yeah, a happy Diwali and New Year to you. People in Delhi did not observe mask regulation or distancing. We are suffering and will suffer more because of it. Fire crackers increased the already high pollution. We had a death in the family, so no celebration. Just the puja and not much else.
You have a nice long puja (what should I say) counter. Our puja in a marble temple-type structure is quite crowded. But with the the same / similar idols and images, except for the one in the left-hand corner of the counter - who is that? Mary?
The alter is about 8 feet give or take.
The photo on the left is a depiction of Jesus and the white figurine visible in the previous shot, an angel.
The other photo to the right is a depiction of Krishna as a lad. That was my late father-in-law's favorite.
100_1841.JPG

Here's our humble little Mandir from the outside.
Summer_17_n.jpg

...and a shot of the alter shortly after completion. We've added quite a few things since then.
Temple8_11_14.jpg

Here's an interesting shot taken a few winters ago.
winter_2015b.JPG

@NamasteJesus: You have a separate hut for the deities. That is beautiful. It was not clear in the previous photograph.
What do you have below the pooja counter, storage space for pooja necessities?
The last photograph was interesting.

Some phtogrphs from Google for Bhai Dooj (The brother-sister festival)
bhai_dooj_8_getty.jpg

Brother has the gift ready in his hand for the sister. :)
11_03_2020-holibhaidooj2020_20099840.jpg
Bhai-Dooj-2020-1024x651.jpg
sajjan-jindal-celebrates-bhai-dooj-with-family-shares-heartfelt-post-with-siblings.jpg

Jindals. Sister and four brothers. Industrialists, Steel, Cement, etc. Would not be surprised if it is a gold platter.

Attachments

• Bhai Phonta.jpg
    Bhai Phonta.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 11_03_2020-holibhaidooj2020_20099840.jpg
    11_03_2020-holibhaidooj2020_20099840.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
@NamasteJesus: You have a separate hut for the deities. That is beautiful. It was not clear in the previous photograph.
What do you have below the pooja counter, storage space for pooja necessities?
The last photograph was interesting.
Thanks. It was a promise to the wife when we first got married, that if we ever bought our own home, I'd build it for her. Well, took us 20 years to get our own place and property, but there it is. I originally called it a Chapel, the wife corrected me and called it a Temple, then the wife's mother saw it and corrected us both. It's been a Mandir ever since! :D

Yes, the space underneath has storage for pooja supplies and such. Made those tiles covering the alter myself from scrap plywood.

101_1540.JPG

Ah, the wife misses, Bhai Dooj. She has 4 older brothers, 2 still in Fiji and 2 in NZ. We tried to do a long distance version over messenger, but just wasn't the same....

Ah, the wife misses, Bhai Dooj. She has 4 older brothers, 2 still in Fiji and 2 in NZ. We tried to do a long distance version over messenger, but just wasn't the same ..
Natural. We have people in US, Pune, Mumbai, my grand daughter in Manipal/Udipi, the rest of us are in Delhi. So video conferencing.

Lots of beautiful Diwali photos here! Thanks for posting them. :)
Here is something from Bengal (from another forum):
"Bhai Dooj here in India today - we Bongs know it as Bhai Phonta.
Not just a celebration of culture, but more importantly a celebration of food. Time to gorge on some home cooked delicacies.
Bhai Phonta.jpg
"
Could you tell me what the sister is offering to the big-bro?

Last edited:
Thanks, Phyllis. You are a little early. Diwali 2022 on October 24.
But tomorrow is 'Karwa Chauth' for North Indians, a big festival for married and to be married people.
Women will keep a whole day fast without water (some gents too will keep the fast in support of women) and partake food only when the moon rises and after the ritual is completed. The ritual consists of looking at your husband through a sieve and then worshiping the Moon God to pray for the welfare of the husband. The husband gives the days first sip of water to the wife.
Food is allowed before the sunrise and is traditionally cooked by the mother-in-law, so early work for my wife (the food must be ready sometime before sunrise, so that the daughter-in-law may partake it. The wife of my nephew also will come to our house since her mother-in-law is no more and my wife substitutes for her). There is an exchange of gifts between the woman and her mother-in-law.
Before the moon rise, female relatives and women in the neighborhood gather for songs and banter. The women are in their best attire and jewelry, applying henna is a must for the day. Some images from Google Search (there are videos also):
Videos:
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=K...UHSmwGHd8HAvEQ_AUoAHoECAIQCg&biw=1600&bih=754

Last edited:
Thanks, Phyllis. You are a little early. Diwali 2022 on October 24.
But tomorrow is 'Karwa Chauth' for North Indians, a big festival for married and to be married people.
Women will keep a whole day fast without water (some gents too will keep the fast in support of women) and partake food only when the moon rises and after the ritual is completed. The ritual consists of looking at your husband through a sieve and then worshiping the Moon God to pray for the welfare of the husband. The husband gives the days first sip of water to the wife.
Food is allowed before the sunrise and is traditionally cooked by the mother-in-law, so early work for my wife (the food must be ready sometime before sunrise, so that the daughter-in-law may partake it. The wife of my nephew also will come to our house since her mother-in-law is no more and my wife substitutes for her). There is an exchange of gifts between the woman and her mother-in-law.
Before the moon rise, female relatives and women in the neighborhood gather for songs and banter. The women are in their best attire and jewelry, applying henna is a must for the day. Some images from Google Search (there are videos also):
Videos:
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=K...UHSmwGHd8HAvEQ_AUoAHoECAIQCg&biw=1600&bih=754
I just noticed that today's Diwali (it's posted on the info part of my desktop toolbar.)

My greeting still stands (as does rhe greetings by the :kitty: delagation.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Well, another Diwali has come and gone. All that's left is the laddu. Trays and trays of leftover laddu. Good lord, enough with the laduu already! 😱

Yeah, festival sweets are dangerous in India because of adulteration. I always suggest people to buy only token qauntitities.

What happened was, the wife made about 3 dozen laddus, various varieties with the intention of sharing them with her niece and family. Meanwhile, the niece had the same idea, making even more than the wife had. So there's me and it's like, "try this one, oh try this one, take some from my side uncle, here uncle take another....." and so on and so forth. Between that and all the fruit, I literally gained 6 pounds! 🤪

Back