Who created God?

I think I understand you now.

In the spirit of interfaith dialogue, I'd like to say that for me, the corrolary to God not depending on a prior cause is that this appears to be the case for the universe itself. To me, things in the world do exist by virtue of their existence. That everything is transient and subject to arising, change, and decay, does not contradict their inherent, self-apparent existence. Tongue-in-cheek, I might say that the universe does not disappear when I stop believing in it: it did a fine job of existing long before we human beings started pondering these questions, and it will continue on existing (subject to its own arising and eventual passing) for a long time after we will be gone.

I'm saying this in the spirit of open discussion of world views, not to disparage anyone elses's faith.

The best medieval philosophers in Western Europe held that human reason is unable to resolve whether the universe is eternal or had a beginning. This seems to be the case regardless of the latest findings about the process of early expansion of the universe. A singularity at the origin of expansion could have been eternal. We may have common ground regarding these points about the universe. Is the question of the possible eternity of the universe different from existence of the universe?

But for you, effectively, it ceases to exist when you die. And if you cannot perceive it, what does anything else matter? No Cino = no universe, as far as Cino is concerned in the matter?
No, it does not cease to exist. You had considered yourself as a drop of water but you forgot that you are but part of the ocean. What constitutes me now was a part of universe, it now is, and will continue to be a part of the universe even after I am no more alive. People place too much emphasis on individuality, much beyond its worth, ego. The universe is because I am.

God doesn't have a beginning or end. So he wasn't created. Has has ever existed and will ever exist. It is only normal if we can't fathom our Creator. Us understanding God would be the same as a table trying to understand the carpenter.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJM
Who created God?

I suppose the answer to this question lies in what one considers to be "God."

As I understanding it, man created anthropomorphic deities to understand divinity. The supreme divine, which I refer to as Nirguna Brahman, but what mystics of many religions, Abrahamic and Dharmic alike, are content to refer to as "God," is eternal. It has no beginning and no end. It is beyond time, space, and causation. Therefore, there was no entity that created it.

Or perhaps it is existence and non-existence. One moment, there is. The other moment, there is not. Not something that we understand today. It is a quantum world.

The physical universe may cycle in and out of existence, but I think the underlying existence is always there.

Does the screen not exist in the absence of a movie being projected onto it?

Reactions: wil
It may be more than that for all we know. The screen disappears once the film is over. Possibilities. QM is not easy to understand. There is no screen in a hologram. Existence playing hide-and-seek. :)

Reactions: wil
Back