What does Dharma mean in your faith?

So far over the years we've had
Dattaswami
Dattaswami1
Dattaswami5

and recently as Dattaswami2

However he cannot respond, so it's not fair to keep talking about him here? A google search will bring up his website and you tube channels

Last edited:
A) A phenomenon or a mental state in and of itself
B) Doctrines and practices that lead to the ending of greed, hatred, delusion, and suffering.
C) Buddhadharma: teachings that contain the 4 Dharma Seals (The Three Marks of Existence + Nirvana teachings)

Sangharakshita once wrote "the word Dharma is used to refer to both the reality the Buddha experienced and also to his conceptual and verbal expression of that experience, his teaching."
That does it very nicely for me.

Sangharakshita once wrote "the word Dharma is used to refer to both the reality the Buddha experienced and also to his conceptual and verbal expression of that experience, his teaching."
That does it very nicely for me.

Interesting. Where does he say the Buddha's teachings are encapsulated?

Hello @Firedragon, I am unsure how he would answer that. As far as I know he did not Identify with any particular branch of Buddhism but drew on many sources both Theravada and Mahayana.

Hello @Firedragon, I am unsure how he would answer that. As far as I know he did not Identify with any particular branch of Buddhism but drew on many sources both Theravada and Mahayana.

I think that when someone makes a comment about "what someone taught", the source of that persons teachings are important at least for authority or integrity. Otherwise, one could simply be misquoting a good person.

That's the reason I always ask for sources. It's not that one is dishonest or has a bad agenda. It's just a practice of epistemic ingenuity. That's why I ask the question "where do you get this from specifically".

Many teachings, all kinds of teachings, I know a lot, it's from various sources not one, etc, etc, etc, are all just made up points to me. That does not mean other people can not have their own view. This is purely my epistemic stance.

Hope you understand. So no offence. I just asked the question to see if this statement has any validity at all.

Peace.

I think that when someone makes a comment about "what someone taught", the source of that persons teachings are important at least for authority or integrity. Otherwise, one could simply be misquoting a good person.

That's the reason I always ask for sources. It's not that one is dishonest or has a bad agenda. It's just a practice of epistemic ingenuity. That's why I ask the question "where do you get this from specifically".

Many teachings, all kinds of teachings, I know a lot, it's from various sources not one, etc, etc, etc, are all just made up points to me. That does not mean other people can not have their own view. This is purely my epistemic stance.

Hope you understand. So no offence. I just asked the question to see if this statement has any validity at all.

Peace.
Alternatively, I could have omitted the name of the author and my answer to the OP would remain the same. I have a habit of giving credit where credit is due and thus name authors when possible.

I do understand, and no offense was taken.

Reactions: RJM
Where does he say the Buddha's teachings are encapsulated?
I don't understand the question. He says so in the very sentence quoted by @Leveller. To me the meaning is quite clear.

So -- is the question whether Sangharakshita actually did write that?

Last edited:
I don't understand the question. He says so in the very sentence quoted by @Leveller. To me the meaning is quite clear.

So -- is the question whether Sangharakshita actually did write that?

I was asking for what sources Sangharakshita claimed his knowledge about the Buddha's specific statements are from.

If there are no sources and one is unaware it's perfectly fine. I didn't question if Sangharakshita actually wrote it. Hope you understand.

Reactions: RJM
Back