Low/No Alcohol Drinks

Snoopy

Reaction score
Beers, wines, spirits...who needs any alcohol.

I was focussed on beers (had more than 200 of them) but now checking out spirits. Not found a good whisky yet but found some great rum and gin.

How about you?

Alcohol's prohibited with a couple of my medications, but I used to have a nip of Sabra (it's a combination of chocolate liquor and orange liquor.)

Now, I have diet ginger beer, diet ginger ale, diet ginger root beer, diet caffeine free cola, diet grapefruit/lime, sakura-infused sparkling water, limoncello-infused sparkling water, key lime infused sparkling water, berry-infused mineral water, white chocolate-raspberry diet Italian soda, diet "Arnold Palmer"s (diet lemonade/sugarfree iced tea,) diet lemonade, diet limeade, unsweetened iced tea, unsweetened hot tea (during cold weather) diet hot cocoa (again, during cold weather )

I could go on if you'd like (after you extricate yourself from the IO :kitty: delegation!)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I don't like the taste of booze enough anymore to desire to find nearbooze.

Maybe a margaritas or a good flavorful dark lager...but for me I will drink water or a smoothie...only reason for a taste of booze is for the buzz.

Alcohol's prohibited with a couple of my medications, but I used to have a nip of Sabra (it's a combination of chocolate liquor and orange liquor.)

Now, I have diet ginger beer, diet ginger ale, diet ginger root beer, diet caffeine free cola, diet grapefruit/lime, sakura-infused sparkling water, limoncello-infused sparkling water, key lime infused sparkling water, berry-infused mineral water, white chocolate-raspberry diet Italian soda, diet "Arnold Palmer"s (diet lemonade/sugarfree iced tea,) diet lemonade, diet limeade, unsweetened iced tea, unsweetened hot tea (during cold weather) diet hot cocoa (again, during cold weather )

I could go on if you'd like (after you extricate yourself from the IO :kitty: delegation!)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
OK I'm extricated! I had to give up alcohol a few years ago because of meds. So glad I did. You seem to have an endless variety there.

I don't like the taste of booze enough anymore to desire to find nearbooze.

Maybe a margaritas or a good flavorful dark lager...but for me I will drink water or a smoothie...only reason for a taste of booze is for the buzz.
We're all different - I never drank for the buzz , only for the flavours. If there was less buzz I would have drunk more booze!

We're all different - I never drank for the buzz , only for the flavours. If there was less buzz I would have drunk more booze!
Diabetes sucks sewer water imho. I'm "lucky" I'm on MetFormin, with all of the restrictions associated with it (restrictions on grapefruit and no quinine.) I've pretty much weaned myself from caffeine, even before I had to restrict other things (headaches.)

I used to drink good quality tonic water and bitter lemon soda, but the quinine interferes with MetFormin, and I don't want to go on insulin due to my "peculiar" blood...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Whiskey all the time. Alcohol content can be changed by adding water (my preference) or other things.

They make a passable bubbly alcohol-free wine "Prosecco" here in Germany, as well as good alcohol-free beer.

I like a homemade ginger beer (non-alcoholic) just as well.

When I drink alcoholic drinks, it is definitely for the buzz!

Reactions: RJM
@Snoopy
I have never liked the taste of alcohol, even though I grew up in England where alcohol is ubiquitous.

I only ever got drunk once and that was when I was 15 at a holiday resort in Italy. I completely lost my mind and found out the next day that I had broken some glasses in the café and then passed out.
I did go back next day and gave the café owner an apology and some money for breakages. He was fine with me and told me that this is not unusual.

Nowadays, some 60 years later, I drink maybe 2 pints of Guinness a year(in the winter) and have a few of sips of port every few months.
So I spent my university years carrying my friends home from the bar after they had consumed(not kidding here) 10-15 pints of beer.

Regarding whisky, I occasionally have a Jack Daniel's with coke when I go to the theatre(or similar). I have tried Johnnie Walker and an Irish single malt to no avail.
I suppose my taste buds aren't refined enough to appreciate them.

Anyway, I just looked into my larder and found an unopened bottle of Laphroaig, gifted to me a few years ago.
I shall give it a try this evening.

Cheers

So I spent my university years carrying my friends home from the bar after they had consumed(not kidding here) 10-15 pints of beer.
Cheers
Cheers.
That was my younger brother's job when he was in medical college because all his friends were drunkards (first time away from the family) and he alone was a teetotaler. He would drink Coke or juices. Same with me, first job, away from the family. So, why not have a good time? No liquor when with the family, though my father liked his drinks.
Beer was not popular in India, it was either Indian made whiskey or Rum at that time (India Made Foreign Liquor, IMFL).

Last edited:
IMFL. We drink about 7 billion liters of it and it is increasing every year. :)
range_shot_new_08_01_9vUC4-1-624x481.jpg

Diabetes sucks sewer water imho. I'm "lucky" I'm on MetFormin, with all of the restrictions associated with it (restrictions on grapefruit and no quinine.) I've pretty much weaned myself from caffeine, even before I had to restrict other things (headaches.)

I used to drink good quality tonic water and bitter lemon soda, but the quinine interferes with MetFormin, and I don't want to go on insulin due to my "peculiar" blood...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
I'm weaned off caffeine too. The alcohol in the 0.5% ABV drinks I have is about the same as in a ripe banana apparently. The liver deals with it whilst still in the digestive tract and so never enters the bloodstream. Obviously the 0.0% ABV drinks have... er none... such as the rum I have. S'lovely.

@Snoopy
I have never liked the taste of alcohol, even though I grew up in England where alcohol is ubiquitous.

I only ever got drunk once and that was when I was 15 at a holiday resort in Italy. I completely lost my mind and found out the next day that I had broken some glasses in the café and then passed out.
I did go back next day and gave the café owner an apology and some money for breakages. He was fine with me and told me that this is not unusual.

Nowadays, some 60 years later, I drink maybe 2 pints of Guinness a year(in the winter) and have a few of sips of port every few months.

Regarding whisky, I occasionally have a Jack Daniel's with coke when I go to the theatre(or similar). I have tried Johnnie Walker and an Irish single malt to no avail.
I suppose my taste buds aren't refined enough to appreciate them.

Anyway, I just looked into my larder and found an unopened bottle of Laphroaig, gifted to me a few years ago.
I shall give it a try this evening.

Cheers
Have you tried the Guinness 0.0? It's indistinguishable from the leaded version.

Have you tried the Guinness 0.0? It's indistinguishable from the leaded version.

I just googled it and will try it. Thanks for the tip.
(I went to Ireland in 1981 and had an Irish Guinness which was something else compared to British Guinness.)

Anyway, I just looked into my larder and found an unopened bottle of Laphroaig, gifted to me a few years ago. I shall give it a try this evening.
Tried it yet?

My favourite whisky, but it is the 'Marmite' of whiskies, you either like the bonfire smokey taste, or you don't.

Tried it yet?

My favourite whisky, but it is the 'Marmite' of whiskies, you either like the bonfire smokey taste, or you don't.

Thanks for the reminder.
I just tried it and like it. A gentle affect on the taste buds, especially after a short walk in 90F heat.
I should add that I do like Marmite, occasionally, which should not be confused with Vegemite, an Australian poor copy.

Back