Alcohol

I embrace drugs and alcohol as they are addictive substances and something I can challenge my addictive personality with!

Which methods does the LHP have to distinguish challenging addictive personality aspects from indulging them?

How does a LHP practitioner make sure they are not just being fooled into indulging an addictive behavior, by the very addictive personality trait they are trying to challenge?
Reply removed at user's own request

Last edited by a moderator:
I put vanilla beans in a bottle of vodka, using the infused alcohol in baking. Ditto using other alcoholic beverages (cooking/baking.)

Otherwise, I cannot have alcohol (a couple of my medications are contraindicated with drinking alcohol.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Alcohol is a substance that's been with humanity for a long time now, since prehistoric times.

Some researchers theorize that grain cultivation arose driven by the desire for beer-like fermented drinks, rather than bread, initially. Grapes and other fruit ferment readily. Human ingenuity plus the byproducts of yeast got us to where we are today, with most societies world-wide allowing easy access to alcohol, and with its consumption being socially acceptable, even encouraged by culture.

Alcohol has been part of some religious ceremonies for a long time, while in some other religions, it is not allowed.

Societies have struggled to come to terms with this substance. There were attempts at prohibition, on both secular as well as religious grounds.

Individuals have had alcohol profoundly impact their lives, be it because they themselves struggle with the illness of addiction, or because family members do, or even due to exposure to alcohol while still unborn, which can lead to impaired development of the fetus, even conditions lije epilepsy in later life.

What's your relationship to alcohol? What does your religion or world-view say about it?
Great topic!

My relationship to alcohol is nil. I could never tolerate the taste of it and don't really like the effects of it -- if and when I can get myself to drink enough of it to feel any effects. As a teenager--even early teens!-- I was surrounded by peers who glamorized drinking and indulged in it heavily (by their self reports) but I didn't get it, was kind of shocked by it actually, and resented the way my outsider status was cemented even further by my lack of enthusiasm for drinking. I was only intoxicated once in my life and hated it. Now that I'm getting older on the rare occasion I have had a drink at someone's holiday party or something, I'm now inclined to get migraines from it.

Because my physical and social experience with it shaped a kind of revulsion to it, any religious views I developed never got a chance to play a role in how I thought about it. The people around me growing up were far more religiously raised than I was, some even fanatics, and that never stopped anybody from drinking non-stop.

Helping alcoholic clients, and then more recently finding out my father's family was significantly affected by alcoholism, made me think I really dodged a bullet by the simple fact of disliking the taste.

Christianity doesn't explicitly prohibit consuming alcohol. According to the Gospel of St. John, the first of Christ's miracles was to change water into wine at Cana, so many Christian denominations don't frown upon moderate alcohol consumption.

On my part, I like to think I can enjoy a nice beer or wine, or even cocktails or liquor - without going too far. I do like to have some alcoholic beverages once in a while, but I try to know my limits and to only drink with people that I can trust.

Christianity doesn't explicitly prohibit consuming alcohol. According to the Gospel of St. John, the first of Christ's miracles was to change water into wine at Cana, so many Christian denominations don't frown upon moderate alcohol consumption.

On my part, I like to think I can enjoy a nice beer or wine, or even cocktails or liquor - without going too far. I do like to have some alcoholic beverages once in a while, but I try to know my limits and to only drink with people that I can trust.
Christianity as a whole does not consistently forbid it. Some denominations do, claiming that this forbidding is biblical.

I was a mostly moderate drinker of alcohol for nigh on 40 years. Then a change in my health and medication about four years ago meant I had to give it up immediately. Well there goes a lot of my leisure time pleasure I thought. But I was wrong. The Alcohol Free (AF) market is growing rapidly (at least here in the UK), although the biggest choice is still online. The quality (particularly of beers) has improved dramatically. Alcohol is often damaging longterm, both for the individual and the society. Thankfully there is a trend in the UK whereby younger people are increasingly not consuming it (which of course encourages companies to produce AF offerings). There are now companies producing only alcohol free drinks (beers, wines and spirits). Hence my blog Beers Without Fears currently has more than 200 reviews of AF beers. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. 😁

Hence my blog Beers Without Fears currently has more than 200 reviews of AF beers. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. 😁
I am not a fan of clear beer, I like dark beers, fawgetabout IPAs yuck. What are you finding for AF flavorful darks (not bitter stouts) something like a porter or double bach... i mean is Augustina brau munchen, Doppel Spaten Optimator level flavor available?

I am not a fan of clear beer, I like dark beers, fawgetabout IPAs yuck. What are you finding for AF flavorful darks (not bitter stouts) something like a porter or double bach... i mean is Augustina brau munchen, Doppel Spaten Optimator level flavor available?
I like dark beers too and I've had some really good ones. As to specifics, the difficulty is I generally don't know what is available in your country. There are certainly German (eg Nittenauer Coffee Porter) ) and Belgian (eg Force Majeure Tripel) breweries making good AF beers. Is Guinness 0.0 available in the US? I'd say it's indistinguishable from the leaded version. Off the top of my head Untitled Art are an American brewer and they have a yummy Chocolate Stout.

Reactions: wil
I used alcohol in my 20s both to cope with fear from living with an abusive person and handling severe social anxiety. Though being a fairly heavy drinker, I was also the world's most boring drunk, and few had any idea I'd had anything to drink at all. I remember asking my counsellor if I was an alcoholic, and her telling me no, she believed I was self medicating, and when the issue resolved, I'd lose interest. She was right. I didn't quit immediately, but tapered off as life become less scary.

Sometimes I'll have a single drink. It isn't usually anything that I'm pushed to externally(like social drinking), but once and awhile a mood strikes and one is fine. If I'm honest, I have a much bigger issue with moderation of food than drink. My choices aren't religiously based, more just personal choice. I also know me well enough that if I try to impose a "no" rule for anything, I'll hold it for awhile, and then gorge, which is another reason I don't attempt to poo-poo an occasional drink for myself.

Back