The Three Magi

I need help on this fabricated discussion...

Is not the couch I am laying on in the house I am living in, using the internet I'm connected to thru the wifi in the other room on the phone my fingers are pushing buttons on...

All fabricated by man?

Am I required to not believe everything fabricated by man?

Every word you just read was fabricated by this man.

I would accept anything other than it being fabricated.
You already accept many fabricated things.
You are somehow 180 degrees opposite to each other concerning your base of belief/acceptance: accepting the Bible unconditionally vs. accepting evidence only.
I am in between.
I think there's a lot of meaningful wisdom and guidance in the scriptures, but I weigh the importance by experience.
There are narratives that lack historical evidence or even contradict natural or human historical findings. My question in this case is: "Does it tell me something important to my life?" In case it does, it's a myth, a significant telling, if not, I just ignore it until I see a sense behind it.
As to the Three Magi, this is the case. I don't need it as a proof of the authority of Jesus, and I don't see any further importance in it, and I don't see any danger for people who believe it is true history, so I am quite relaxed with it.

I don't believe that any word in scripture is without importance or spiritual value. It all holds value to me. This is a huge difference I find with people that have a different book than the bible.. they poo poo what doesn't fit their narrative or belief as unimportant or without value. I get it though! I do have to say that I won't disrespect the Quran similarly.

My question to you is do you also treat the Quran the way you treat the Bible. Determining what has value? Or do you ignore what doesn't make sense to you?

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter

I don't believe that any word in scripture is without importance or spiritual value. It all holds value to me.
What is the spiritual value of the narrative of the three magi for you?
This is a huge difference I find with people that have a different book than the bible.. they poo poo what doesn't fit their narrative or belief as unimportant or without value. I get it though! I do have to say that I won't disrespect the Quran similarly.
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
But I don't disrespect the Bible, just have an other approach to it.
I see the Gospel accounts as traditions written down. The authors of those scriptures were certainly pious people. They were all not eyewitnesses in the childhood, so that they had to rely on what was told to them.
We have a mass of traditions (hadith) that are said to be real events or sayings of Muhammad. Muslim scholars have tried to evaluate their reliability, and much more than half of them have been qualified "weak", meaning, not reliable. I am personally even more critical and doubt the reliability of quite some traditions that have been qualified reliable by the ancient scholars, e.g. if they contradict the Quran or other hadith that are well supported.
If such hadith doesn't really concern me, I don't take effort to find out whether it is reliable or not.
I read the Gospel accounts with the same attitude.
My question to you is do you also treat the Quran the way you treat the Bible. Determining what has value? Or do you ignore what doesn't make sense to you?
It would be wrong to discard anything because it doesn't fit into my thoughts.
There are passages in the Quran where I don't see any link to my life because they refer to a situation I'm not in. The Quran often tells stories that are also known by Jews and Christians. But are not told to witness the story, but to make a point of it. It's more similar to a sermon you hear in your church; the text is quoted, and then the meaning is explained. I even dare to say that the fact that a narrative is quoted in the Quran need not mean that it happened exactly like that; it may be a valid myth as well.
Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter
Why do you quote this?

What is the spiritual value of the narrative of the three magi for you?
There's too many debates on who these three men were but suggesting that they were from Persia and perhaps had been waiting for this birth following a unique star? The spiritual aspect is the gifts given to Him. Gold Frankincense and Myrrh Representing His kingship His divinity and His mortality. Also.. disobeying Herod to protect Jesus suggesting the recognition of who He is.
Why do you quote this?

If I don't understand something or question a personal application to my life.. I search it out. He is faithful in His revealing the deep things to me. It also suggests how we are to be leaders in our faith .. not casual observers but active participants.

Back