Some Curiosity Questions for Muslims :)

ninjagolover

Reaction score
Hey, so I have a class project where I ask some questions to those part of the Islam community and I was just wondering if anyone could answer them :)

1) What is the religious significance of fasting during Ramadan?

2) In your own opinion, what would you say the biggest sin in Islam is?

3) What would your parents do if you, as a Muslim, were to marry someone outside of your own religion?

Interesting questions and I look forward to hearing the answers, but this is a class project? Are these the only three questions? Are all the students trying to answer the same questions or did they each have to pick three?

I ask because the first question seems like curiosity the second to seem quite pointed, but that is just me, and I am not a Muslim.

If you were allowed a fourth question, what would be the question you would ask a Muslim?

Side note, one of the most interesting things I find about Islam is their method of tithing of giving

Interesting questions and I look forward to hearing the answers, but this is a class project? Are these the only three questions? Are all the students trying to answer the same questions or did they each have to pick three?

I ask because the first question seems like curiosity the second to seem quite pointed, but that is just me, and I am not a Muslim.

If you were allowed a fourth question, what would be the question you would ask a Muslim?

Side note, one of the most interesting things I find about Islam is their method of tithing of giving
It is more like curiosity questions and we were only allowed 3 questions, yes :) but the rest of my class have different questions, some even for different religions.
I chose Islam because it seemed super interesting and I really want to gain clarification and a better understanding :)

If I was allowed a fourth question I would probably ask how regularly they read from the Qur'an.

Also, I'm not sure I am familiar with the tithing of giving do you mind explaining it?

2) In your own opinion, what would you say the biggest sin in Islam is?
I can start, by saying that ascribing partners to G-d is the gravest sin..

..as you might know from Judaism, the first commandment is to "not take any gods beside G-d".
In Islam, "There is none worthy of worship except God"

thx for helping them...it is Ramadan eh? Might be bad time for the questions?

Interesting, what does "partners" mean? Other gods? Lovers? Co-conspirators? (Father son and holy ghost?)
Also, I'm not sure I am familiar with the tithing of giving do you mind explaining it?
I am also not a muslim...whereas some feed the monk, Christians tithe to the church and charity a perce.tage of income, jews negotiate an annual membership...my understanding of Islam's giving in concept.is a percentage of your holdings annually is to be given to others...first to help your family sonthey may prosper and be able to help others, then to your extended famjly.(same reason) then to your religious family, then to your community...ibid....the idea is to create long term sustaining.jncome for all around you...extending outward...

Just what I been told...I like it...how it actually plays out...no clue.

Your first question is about Ramadan.
The origin is the fasting of Muhammad.It's an obligatory exercise to Muslim. You can look up those essentials on Wikipedia, so that it's no use to repeat this here. But what is the experience?

It has several aspects
- It makes you slow down, forces you to take breaks from all day work and fill it with deeper thoughts, and free prayers (dua, in addition to the 5 formal prayers called Salat)
- You live it in community. All the family, sometimes together with the family of friends, join in the fast-breaking in the evening. No-one would have something else on instead.
- You experience how important it is to have food and drink. In particular those of us who never need to fear not to have enough to eat and drink remember that it has been provided for us by the Provider.

Of course, you could have similar experiences without fasting - but would you really have it?

It's interesting that the Jewish Scriptures never talk about making "partners" with God. It speaks about setting up Idols to worship, which is like making another god to worship, but the idea of a partner of God does not exist in the text. Yet the Quran uses "partners to Allah" repetitively, Especially when it comes to Jesus and the Son of God problem. Christians understand that God is not human and therefor can not sexually produce a son. Yet the Quran repeats over and over that Christians have made Jesus to be God's Son. At this point, can God be a "father". NO, yet Scripture calls God our father. Just because something is beyond our understanding, doesn't make it untrue. No one can understand God. We only know what He wants us to know. Christians are monotheistic, not polytheistic no matter how many times Muhammad tries to convince you otherwise. This is especially true when it comes to Israel, "hear o Israel, God is One" They got in trouble with idols, just read the prophets, no, not Abraham or Moses, but the books of the prophets.

Last edited:
..the Quran uses "partners to Allah" repetitively, Especially when it comes to Jesus and the Son of God problem.
Well you said it .. that it's a problem. ;)

At this point, can God be a "father". NO, yet Scripture calls God our father.
That is to do with language.
Jews often referred to G-d as "Our Father" .. Abba.
Muslims [and Qur'an], have nothing against that.

Jews also referred to "sons of G-d" in the Tanakh .. as angels and prophets/saints.
..nothing to do with being G-d.

Yet the Quran uses "partners to Allah" repetitively, Especially when it comes to Jesus and the Son of God problem.

Those usages are not attributions of partners to Allah, but references to the concept of Allah having partners, which the Quran consistently denies.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting that the Jewish Scriptures never talk about making "partners" with God. It speaks about setting up Idols to worship, which is like making another god to worship, but the idea of a partner of God does not exist in the text. Yet the Quran uses "partners to Allah" repetitively, Especially when it comes to Jesus and the Son of God problem. Christians understand that God is not human and therefor can not sexually produce a son. Yet the Quran repeats over and over that Christians have made Jesus to be God's Son. At this point, can God be a "father". NO, yet Scripture calls God our father. Just because something is beyond our understanding, doesn't make it untrue. No one can understand God. We only know what He wants us to know. Christians are monotheistic, not polytheistic no matter how many times Muhammad tries to convince you otherwise. This is especially true when it comes to Israel, "hear o Israel, God is One" They got in trouble with idols, just read the prophets, no, not Abraham or Moses, but the books of the prophets.
In the Arabic religion before Muhammad (p.b.u.h), they believed that Allah, al-Rahman, the Main God, had children that were also deities, and they worshipped them as well. The criticism refers to those elements in Christian belief that go in the same direction. I found different attitudes among Christians; some also worship God alone, as Muslims do. Many, however, pray to Jesus (p.b.u.h) and assign to him what Jesus truely assigned to God; I recently heard a reverend saying, "Jesus rules over the whole world". Catholic Christians kneel down before images of Jesus or Mary (a.s.).

Noach (p.b.u.h.) and Abraham (p.b.u.h) grew up in a similar environment as Muhammad. They decided only to worship one God. Through Moses (p.b.u.h), this was obligatory to the whole people. They were practising monotheists. It is unclear from when the Israelites turned from practising monotheistm (you must not worship any God beside Him) to philosophical monotheism (there is no other God beside Him). Elijah fought against people serving Ba-al, and considered him to be a different deity. Those deities were seen as foreign deities, not related to God, vain idols, not partners. The role and perception of the other deities around Israel is different from the Arabic religion that knew and worshipped God under the same name, Allah, but together with other deities. That's why the wording in the Books of the Prophets and the Quran are different.

Removed. See post #12 below

Last edited:
Many, however, pray to Jesus (p.b.u.h) and assign to him what Jesus truely assigned to God
You say. Many don't see it that way. Some do not believe that Christ needs men to wish Him peace (as in pbuh). It's the other way around -- it is Christ that brings to men the peace that passes all understanding. It is the gift of the Spirit. Christ doesn't need men to put peace upon Him, imo

"If you have seen me, you have seen the Father"

Father and Son are human terms to convey interaction of eternal, perfect Spirit and imperfect, changing nature. Spirit 'weaves' nature. It is wonderful and mysterious. It's nothing to be oversimplified and nothing to be casually dismissed, imo

Last edited:
It is done out of respect.
I think it's disrespectful, actually. It is Christ who says to man: 'Peace be with you'. It is not for man to presume to grant peace upon the Christ. Just my own opinion

I think it's disrespectful, actually. It is Christ who says to man: 'Peace be with you'. It is not for man to presume to grant peace upon the Christ. Just my own opinion
Mmm .. you would prefer to see "Jesus, the Most High" ..

..but as Jesus is reported to have said "Why do you call me good? Only God is good"

... Lord Jesus Christ,
the only begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, light from light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father ...

Last edited:
It is a traditional expression of high respect in Islam, and it should be understood as it is meant.
"Shalom aleichem" and "Assalam aleikum" is the peaceful greeting in Semitic culture, and Jesus (honoured and blessed) used this greeting as well.

You say. Many don't see it that way. Some do not believe that Christ needs men to wish Him peace (as in pbuh). It's the other way around -- it is Christ that brings to men the peace that passes all understanding. It is the gift of the Spirit. Christ doesn't need men to put peace upon Him, imo
Like @muhammad_isa said, it is a saying done out of respect.

It can be viewed another way. This saying can indicate a believer is at peace with the prophet and his religious teachings.

Reactions: RJM

..but as Jesus is reported to have said "Why do you call me good? Only God is good"
I think to read that in context on what He was saying to the rich man..

Along with this

John 10:11 (ESV)
11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

The logic can thus be summarized as follows:
1: Jesus claims only God is good.
2: Jesus claims to be good.
3: Therefore, Jesus claims to be God.

Well you said it .. that it's a problem
When I state the Jesus problem, it is a problem to anyone to try to understand just how this can be true. My reply has always been, “how big is your God”, My God can do anything and I don’t have to understand it to make it so. God said, let there be light and there was light. Now that is impossible! But not with God. Muslims keep claiming that the usage of We for Allah is a term for royality. Yet, once the Scriptures move from Creation this We usage in the Bible is gone. Why? Because the Word of God was there at creation, it was the Word that Created. Now move to the Book of John, ”In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God”. I don’t know how to explain this, but then again I can’t explain creation. Other religions want their god to be someone they can understand, There is no understanding the God of Creation except for what He allows us to understand.

Reactions: RJM
Back