Practice and belief

Daughters of Frya

Reaction score
I'm always interested in how different religions and spiritual philosophies place differing emphases on the importance, or otherwise, of these. For me, practice, that is, what one actually does, is the essential part of my own path. Belief springs directly from practice, rather than the other way round.

Your manifesto for the UK is interesting:

4. EDUCATION & SERVICE
(i) The organisation of primary education shall remain unchanged. From the age of 11 all pupils shall attend single-sex selective secondary schools, of which there shall be four main types: practical schools, grammar schools, technical schools and creative schools. Schooling shall be compulsory until the age of 18, that is, until Year 13 (Upper Sixth).

(ii) At the age of 18 all young women, except those chosen as Priestesses, shall enter their Shire Police Force, for a period of seven years. In addition to police work, their duties shall include serving as nurses and carers in the National Health Service, and as civil servants at both national and local levels. The Police Force of each Shire shall be placed under the command of the High Priestess, and ultimately of the Folk Mother, the fount of justice.

(iii) At the age of 18 all young men shall enter their Shire Defence Force (combining army, navy and air force), for a period of seven years. In addition to their military role, their duties shall include serving as fire fighters and other emergency responders, and as civil servants at both national and local levels. The Defence Force of each Shire shall be placed under the command of the annually elected High Sheriff, with the Folk Mother serving as Commanderin-Chief. As currently, however, responsibility for daily operations shall rest with the Prime Minister, elected leader of the majority of MPs at Westminster.

(iv) All service obligations, for both women and men, shall be compulsory, and those serving shall receive free higher education. At the age of 25 they shall be released from their service and be given the right to vote. Subsequent access to health care, welfare and all other rights of citizenship shall be dependent on completing their service. Those who are unable to do so shall be assigned other types of service appropriate to their abilities.

(v) The current UK population of nearly 72 million shall ensure approximately six million young people between the ages of 18 and 25 in service at any given time, more than enough to cover all essential functions and duties of the state, at both national and local levels. Those in service shall be paid no more than the minimum wage appropriate to their age group, but may choose to remain in one of the service professions after the age of 25, as a properly paid career. During the transition process, currently serving members of those professions shall be retained for as long as required.

(vi) While maintaining friendly relations with traditional allies, the UK shall adopt a position of strict neutrality, pursuing a programme of full economic self-sufficiency. In all matters it shall always prioritise its own people, reversing the damaging immigration policies of past decades. The first duty of the state shall be to ensure the well-being of all its citizens, and the first duty of all citizens shall be to assume collective responsibility.

Last edited:
Your manifesto for the UK is interesting:

4. EDUCATION & SERVICE
(i) The organisation of primary education shall remain unchanged. From the age of 11 all pupils shall attend single-sex selective secondary schools, of which there shall be four main types: practical schools, grammar schools, technical schools and creative schools. Schooling shall be compulsory until the age of 18, that is, until Year 13 (Upper Sixth).

(ii) At the age of 18 all young women, except those chosen as Priestesses, shall enter their Shire Police Force, for a period of seven years. In addition to police work, their duties shall include serving as nurses and carers in the National Health Service, and as civil servants at both national and local levels. The Police Force of each Shire shall be placed under the command of the High Priestess, and ultimately of the Folk Mother, the fount of justice.

(iii) At the age of 18 all young men shall enter their Shire Defence Force (combining army, navy and air force), for a period of seven years. In addition to their military role, their duties shall include serving as fire fighters and other emergency responders, and as civil servants at both national and local levels. The Defence Force of each Shire shall be placed under the command of the annually elected High Sheriff, with the Folk Mother serving as Commanderin-Chief. As currently, however, responsibility for daily operations shall rest with the Prime Minister, elected leader of the majority of MPs at Westminster.

(iv) All service obligations, for both women and men, shall be compulsory, and those serving shall receive free higher education. At the age of 25 they shall be released from their service and be given the right to vote. Subsequent access to health care, welfare and all other rights of citizenship shall be dependent on completing their service. Those who are unable to do so shall be assigned other types of service appropriate to their abilities.

(v) The current UK population of nearly 72 million shall ensure approximately six million young people between the ages of 18 and 25 in service at any given time, more than enough to cover all essential functions and duties of the state, at both national and local levels. Those in service shall be paid no more than the minimum wage appropriate to their age group, but may choose to remain in one of the service professions after the age of 25, as a properly paid career. During the transition process, currently serving members of those professions shall be retained for as long as required.

(vi) While maintaining friendly relations with traditional allies, the UK shall adopt a position of strict neutrality, pursuing a programme of full economic self-sufficiency. In all matters it shall always prioritise its own people, reversing the damaging immigration policies of past decades. The first duty of the state shall be to ensure the well-being of all its citizens, and the first duty of all citizens shall be to assume collective responsibility.
The underlying philosophy is one of mutual service and obligation at all levels of society, to create a harmonious whole.

(iii) … the only judges in the UK, at any level, shall be Elder Priestesses. The sole exception to this shall be magistrates, who shall continue to be volunteers. In addition to their role as judges, Elder Priestesses shall also serve as spiritual counsellors and guardians of public morality

Substitute 'Frya Priestess' with:

Catholic Priest
Muslim Imam
Elder of whatever Christian sect: Mormon, JW, MAGA televangelist etc
Baha'i House of Justice
Scientology 'clear'

… or pick any other religion you choose … lovely idea?

Last edited:
Yes, but who holds the top strings?

(iii) … the only judges in the UK, at any level, shall be Elder Priestesses. The sole exception to this shall be magistrates, who shall continue to be volunteers. In addition to their role as judges, Elder Priestesses shall also serve as spiritual counsellors and guardians of public morality

Substitute 'Frya Priestesses' with:

Catholic Priest
Muslim Imam
Elder of whatever Christian sect: Mormon, JW etc
Baha'i House of Justice

… or pick any other religion you choose … lovely idea?
Under the proposals, parliament will remain sovereign, as it is today, with the ability to amend or change any part of the settlement.

Currently, judges in the UK are chosen through a system of elite education based largely on privilege. The proposals seek to replace this.

Reactions: RJM
Good luck

Am finding several levels of similarity with Baha'i proposals to transform society :)

That's interesting to know, I'm not overly familiar with Baha'i philosophy.
If you type the word Baha'i on our search, it will bring up a lot of stuff. I mean your religion is different from theirs, but the aim of transforming to a peaceful society under the umbrella of that religion is similar, imo

Glad to have you here :)
I'm logging off for the rest of the day

If you type the word Baha'i on our search, it will bring up a lot of stuff. I mean your religion is different from theirs, but the aim of transforming to a peaceful society under the umbrella of that religion is similar, imo

Glad to have you here :)
I'm logging off for the rest of the day
Thank you, glad to be here.

Reactions: RJM
I'm always interested in how different religions and spiritual philosophies place differing emphases on the importance, or otherwise, of these. For me, practice, that is, what one actually does, is the essential part of my own path. Belief springs directly from practice, rather than the other way round.

For things like meditation, I tend to agree. Do the practice, get some results, see how they might (or might not) fit into the beliefs surrounding meditation.

On the other hand, with some of my friends we sometimes engage in a practice of adopting a belief, for a certain period of time, say, during a weekend retreat, and engaging in practices that make sense within that belief. That places the entire concept of "belief emerging from practice" on its head.

Back