Exclusive Bible

That is an over-reaction, imo.
What are you afraid of?
Not an overreaction.
I'm lucky enough or have been so far not to have to be "afraid" of any compulsion of religion.
Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of a religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
Historically religious differences have often created strife, and when government power gets involved it is oppressive to those to disagree.
Freedom of conscience.
I am fortunate in my country to not have to have been afraid.
Do you want a hypothetical?
I am a law abiding person. I do not want to have to abide by laws I feel are unjust.
If there were laws compelling me to attend a particular church, or to punish me for not observing, say Catholic teachings on something...
I don't want that.

Reactions: RJM
@RJM -

In the United States adultery, in approximately 1/3 of the states, is, in fact, a crime which may lead to incarceration.
But in practice... is it followed through on?
Those laws should be repealed.
Private matters. Waste of taxpayer dollars.

That is an over-reaction, imo.
What are you afraid of?
Is it an overreaction to be afraid of religious extremism?
Here's a hypothetical:
Imagine someone who is such a hardline evangelical that they want to ban everything that is "against Christianity"
Anything New Age or occult. No tarot cards, no Ouija boards, no NUTHIN' they see as against biblical teaching!
No Churches in like Unity Church or the UU.
Maybe even no Catholic churches, let's smash all those "graven images"
So, no Jewish temples, Jewish books.
NO Islamic houses of worship or books.

It doesn't matter whether I take part in any of the above or not
Or whether anybody thinks I should.
Or whether anybody thinks any of the above "are against God's laws"
I DONT WANT ANY HUMAN ENFORCING THAT
I don't care what their reasons are, or how good they think those reasons are.
NO.

Now, you don't have to work hard to imagine such people.
They exist.
Look on YouTube if you don't believe me.

Adultery is going the way of Sodomy in the US. No longer being punished.
Good. Never should have been punished by the government anyway.
Wouldn't libertarians agree?
Never could figure out why conservatives pretend to be libertarians.

Reactions: wil
If society gives the green light to adultery by decriminalising it, so-called crimes of passion
likely increase.
..which means more gun violence.
Live in fear!

Reality is archaic puritan laws holding back natural human instincts lead to problems like lying, deciept. What two or more consenting adults choose to do...is between them. If one of them happens to be your mate and yall have not had open discussions on such offurance to the point where you feel you need violence....ya got issues imo

Live in fear!

If one of them happens to be your mate and yall have not had open discussions on such offurance to the point where you feel you need violence....ya got issues imo
..so people who don't agree with your opinions must be "rednecks"? ;)

In no way denying the problems we are facing today, but I certainly prefer them over the problems my ancestors were facing.
In some ways, isn't this just pertaining to your back yard. I am sure that there are people in this world who would believe that your ancestors did not have it as bad as they do today. I can't think anything much worse then slavery and it is still going on today and always has been. But the slavery of girls and boy for sex has to be the most heinous of all. We sit in our cozy dwellings and never see so much of the horror that still goes on today and believe that the world has gotten better.

Here we go! Guns, guns, guns. makes it sound like guns do all the killing. It's PEOPLE who kill, not guns. How many people are killed every year in this world when guns were not used. Let's leave out military. Violence is violence, even when people used to kill people with rocks. There's an idea, why not ban rocks, how about water from drownings, and the list goes on. People kill people not guns.

Here we go! Guns, guns, guns. makes it sound like guns do all the killing. It's PEOPLE who kill, not guns. How many people are killed every year in this world when guns were not used. Let's leave out military. Violence is violence, even when people used to kill people with rocks. There's an idea, why not ban rocks, how about water from drownings, and the list goes on. People kill people not guns.
That's a misguided slogan

It's a lot easier for a deranged kid to walk into a school and start killing with an automatic rifle, than to go in killing with rocks. Guns make killing a lot easier. Especially military automatic weapons that have no place in civilian society

Suicide with a shotgun is much easier than jumping off a building. Guns make killing easy, imo

If society gives the green light to adultery by decriminalising it, so-called crimes of passion
likely increase.
This sounds speculative.
Is there any research backing this up?
People engage in adultery without checking into the laws.
I doubt most people in my society even know there are any criminal laws against it.
What is the penalty? Jail? Depriving someone of their freedom? For something between consenting adults?
Society has had it with that.

That's a misguided slogan

It's a lot easier for a deranged kid to walk into a school and start killing with an automatic rifle, than to go in killing with rocks. Guns make killing a lot easier. Especially military automatic weapons that have no place in civilian society

Suicide with a shotgun is much easier than jumping off a building. Guns make killing easy, imo
It's not even an opinion, it's a direct observation. You're objectively correct.
Guns do what they are designed to do.
They amplify killing power and they do make it easier.
Guns can be used for hunting, target shooting, self defense, robbery, and murder.
They are wielded by people.
Though with the advent of self driving cars and robots... it's only so long before they come up with self automated guns with AI.

Someone still has to program them though.

This sounds speculative.
I find it quite obvious..

Is there any research backing this up?
I'm sure there is..

People engage in adultery without checking into the laws.I doubt most people in my society even know there are any criminal laws against it.
Particularly these days in Western society .. which is my point..

What is the penalty? Jail? Depriving someone of their freedom? For something between consenting adults?
Society has had it with that.
Society trivialises adultery at its peril.
Sex and money are the root of violence.

Yes, it is a lot easier, but why does the kid even want to do this. Yes guns make killing easier. I am not talking about easier or harder, if someone wants to kill someone else, is going to happen. Actually "automatic" weapons are not in society, they are semi-automatic. So "military" weapons are only in the military.

Back