The Big Lie

Being in love is a feeling, but commitment, which is an indispensible part of love, is not a feeling but a way to act.
commitment must be translated into a feeling. I remember the first time that my wife told me; "I love you but I don't like you" In order for her to like me, there has to be feeling or there is just going through a legalist motion. Just my point of view. "Ich liebe dich" is your German word like our English word, whereas all kinds of love are incorporated into the one word where the Greek has at least 7 words to define what kind of love they are speaking about. I just remember "liebe" being the only word that I knew for love when I was in Germany. But I will say, the stupid American that I was at age 19, why learn another language. I tried but my diction is terrible and I certainly can't roll an R. Plus, I wasn't use to spitting when I talked. ;-)

How do you hold this paradox, that only belief is correct, and yet love, which is part of that one correct faith, believes "all things"?
Please, keep some context here. What is the "believes all things". So am I to believe that animals speak if someone tells me so?

πιστεύω pisteúō; fut. pisteúsō, from pístis (4102), faith. To believe, have faith in, trust. NT meanings:
(I) Particularly, to be firmly persuaded as to something, to believe, followed by the inf. (Rom. 14:2); by hóti (3754), that (Mark 11:23; Rom. 6:8; 10:9). With the idea of hope and certain expectation (Acts 18:8).
(A) More commonly used of words spoken and things, followed by the dat. of the person whose words one believes and trusts in (Mark 16:13; John 5:46; Acts 8:12; 1 John 4:1); by hóti (John 4:21).
(B) With an adjunct of the words or thing spoken, followed by the dat. (Luke 1:20; John 4:50; Acts 24:14; 2 Thess. 2:11; Acts 13:41); by epí (1909), upon, and the dat. (Luke 24:25); by en (1722), in, and the dat. (Mark 1:15, “in the glad tidings” [a.t.], meaning tobelieve and embrace the glad tidings announced; Sept.: Ps. 78:22; Jer. 12:6).
(C) With an adjunct of the thing believed, followed by the acc. of thing (1 Cor. 13:7; 1 John 4:16). In the pass. (2 Thess. 1:10). Followed by eis (1519), unto, with the acc. (John 11:26; 1 John 5:10); by hóti, that (John 14:10; Rom. 10:9); by perí (4012), about, concerning, and the gen. (John 9:18).
(D) Used in an absolute sense where the case of person or thing is implied from the context (Matt. 24:23; Mark 13:21; John 12:47; Acts 8:13 [cf. Acts 8:12, 15:7]).

Spiros Zodhiates, The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament (Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers, 2000).

commitment must be translated into a feeling. I remember the first time that my wife told me; "I love you but I don't like you" In order for her to like me, there has to be feeling or there is just going through a legalist motion.

While a sad realization, this happens to many couples. They love each other, are committed, care for each other's well-being - but once the neurotransmitter cocktail of "being in love" is gone, they might realize they don't really like each other all that much.

This is where I think the Christian taboo on divorce is actually a bad thing, even if it was well-intentioned by Jesus at the time.

How do you hold this paradox, that only belief is correct, and yet love, which is part of that one correct faith, believes "all things"?
1 Corinthians 13 is sandwiched between chapter 12 and 14. The context is everyone wanting showy gifts, especially speaking in tongues. Paul is trying to keep the focus on loving people, none of the other stuff is important.

Your scripture does contain a talking animal - Balaam's donkey.
LOL, I just about fell out of my chair, thanks for the good laugh. I believe life would be so boring without laughter. Actually that's from the Jewish text, but I do consider it important and even necessary for Christianity.

"Ich liebe dich" is your German word like our English word, whereas all kinds of love are incorporated into the one word where the Greek has at least 7 words to define what kind of love they are speaking about. I just remember "liebe" being the only word that I knew for love when I was in Germany.
It's a good word to know, in German.

So, what do you think, does modern Western culture obsess too much about "eros" the feeling, romantic kind of love?

So, what do you think, does modern Western culture obsess too much about "eros" the feeling, romantic kind of love?
Certainly. Especially men. From what I have learned, the sexual drives of males and females so different that it's amazing. I totally understand why God created us this way but it certainly products so many problems in a marriage. Just look at any TV, women are dressed as sexual objects. And all men do is stare at butts and boobs. Sorry if I am too direct here. I will leave this at this. "eros" has clouded the mind of men, they just keep thinking sexually when marriage is not just about sex. Women have such a hard time (can's) understanding the mind of a man and men certainly don't understand the mind of a woman. It's ok, as long as we try to understand each other. which comes through dialogue. People are loosing the ability to communicate. Sorry for the long diatribe to a yes or no question.

OK, but this is a translation. "fruit" = what they do. Mostly the word fruit is connected to the believer.
How do we judge what Is good and bad fruit?

The example is Jesus, the tree of faith that produces only Good Fruit. We can connect to that tree, so I would offer we can only emulate the Attributes given to us by Jesus by embracing the fruits of Jesus.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

That to me is offering that it is the fruits of Jesus we are to follow, that until we make that choice, we produce no fruits of our own. Making the choice to follow Jesus, the fruits of Jesus can then be seen in us.

Regards Tony

How do we judge what Is good and bad fruit
Regards Tony
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

This assumes that there many ways to God. the plural here "faiths". Yes, everyone deals in a faith of some sort. But there is according to Scripture, only one Faith.
So you think it was "off the rails" or in some fashion wrong to acknowledge faiths plural as God given.

So you think it was "off the rails" or in some fashion wrong to acknowledge faiths plural as God given.
Yes,
Ephesians 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling;
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
7 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.

New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995), Eph 4:4–7.

How would you summarize this one faith? What are the beliefs that characterize it?
I will just let God handle this one. It all seems to be connect to believing God and what God has done.

Hebrews11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
2 For by it the men of old gained approval.
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.
4 By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained the testimony that he was righteous, God testifying about his gifts, and through faith, though he is dead, he still speaks.
5 By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; AND HE WAS NOT FOUND BECAUSE GOD TOOK HIM UP; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God.
6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
7 By faith Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, din reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.
8 By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going.
9 By faith he lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs of the same promise;
10 for he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
11 By faith even Sarah herself received ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised.
12 Therefore there was born even of one man, and him as good as dead at that, as many descendants AS THE STARS OF HEAVEN IN NUMBER, AND INNUMERABLE AS THE SAND WHICH IS BY THE SEASHORE.
13 All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.
14 For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own.
15 And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return.
16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son;
18 it was he to whom it was said, “IN ISAAC YOUR DESCENDANTS SHALL BE CALLED.”
19 He considered that God is able to raise people even from the dead, from which he also received him back as a type.
20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau, even regarding things to come.
21 By faith Jacob, as he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff.
22 By faith Joseph, when he was dying, made mention of the exodus of the sons of Israel, and gave orders concerning his bones.
23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.
24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter,
25 choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin,
26 considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward.
27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured, as seeing Him who is unseen.
28 By faith he akept the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood, so that he who destroyed the firstborn would not touch them.
29 By faith they passed through the Red Sea as though they were passing through dry land; and the Egyptians, when they attempted it, were drowned.
30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encircled for seven days.
31 By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish along with those who were disobedient, after she had welcomed the spies in peace.
32 And what more shall I say? For time will fail me if I tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets,
33 who by faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions,
34 quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.
35 Women received back their dead by resurrection; and others were tortured, not accepting their release, so that they might obtain a better resurrection;
36 and others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment.
37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated
38 (men of whom the world was not worthy), wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground.
39 And all these, having agained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised,
40 because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.

New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995), Heb 11:1–40.

Do you have a statement of your beliefs in a nutshell, in your own words?
Sure, does anyone care? I have already stated most of it here in the last week. I believe that there is a God, one God (had to insert that for the Muslims). I have studied and researched all the major religions and their beliefs and works (books). I have come to the conclusion that the Bible is the only book that has a supernatural purpose. I believe the Bible is the inspired and perfect Word of God. I believe the Bible, believe that God sent the Word (Jesus) to be a sacrificial lamb for my sins. I believe that I have been made righteous by God through Jesus. I no way am I righteous by my actions (works) I believe from the promises of the Bible that I will be in heaven when I die. Does that about cover it?

Back