Want to Live a Good life? Here's what Ancient Greece had to say.

I personally degrade their cause.. I was watching the news when the second plane hit the WTC.. I, along with the rest of my countrymen grieved the losses in that day. We were attacked by terrorists and suicide bombers. Please dont post back and tell me you think it was justified because we amercans are corrupt and live sinful lives.. that wouldnt be very tactful.

Noo, you have me all wrong Faithful servant, that’s not what I think. The attacks were wrong full stop, they can’t be justified. But there cause may be justified, you see I may not know the truth as to why those attacks happened. Some conspiracy theorists even claim it to be work of the American government themselves and just like many instances its very unlikely for anyone to know the truth. However, the most likely theory is, of the way the USA treats people of the middle east within a political content, things we are unaware of and things I might understand a little better. USA is the biggest super power in the world, demcracy works by Majority vote wins, but often other ethnic gropus outside of the country might not have this right in American politics ;) Also too many rich and powerful people have a say in US, UK and European politics. Its all about money with the essence of religon. And sometimes the only way people can be heard is by extreme measures.. What has the anti-war protests done for the war in iraq? Nothing... How about if violence got involded? Maybe they would be heard better? Unfortuanatly that is the last resort.. Just like the bee?

i would heartily suggest a reading of Spencer Wells remarkable book "The Journey of Man" after which, you will come to the understanding that the entire ethnicity of humanity comes from one source, a Bushman tribe in Africa.

Indeed we are.. But each ethnic group took different paths and some of our ancestors lived in civilisations before hand and our genes still carry this stigma.. That's why no one should take offence to what I say.. It’s just a theory and it does hold weight but were all human, one mother and one father.. But groups of us are more developed for living in civilisations.. Can you see where I'm coming from? Just like some ehtinic groups are faster at running, and some are better thinkers for example the aboriginals have extremely good memorie compared to rest of us. Some of our ancestors lived in caves whilst others wrote philosophy astrology and mathematics.. Sounds bad to say, but its true. But this is one of the factors of crime in society these days. Chinese and Japanese peoples ancestors lived in very early civilisations and they have very low crime rate.. Hunter gatherer attitude in peoples genes is what gives them the urge to rob someone.

Namaste postmaster,

thank you for the post.

Postmaster said:
Indeed we are.. But each ethnic group took different paths and some of our ancestors lived in civilisations before hand and our genes still carry this stigma..

actually, no, they didn't.

they took one single path out of Africa... from there to India and then to the Aborgines of Australia, from India into Central Asia...and from Central Asia, to Europe and North America.

quite fascinatingly, the family that carries the genetic marker is still in Central Asia... this family, is the family of all the Europeans and Aborigines of North and South America.

unless you mean something like a cultural path??

what "stigma" are you referring to? do you have any scientific data to support your assertions that "stigmas" and "attitudes" are actually genetic traits that are passed on?

That's why no one should take offence to what I say.. It’s just a theory and
it does hold weight but were all human, one mother and one father.. But groups of us are more developed for living in civilisations.. Can you see where I'm coming from?

well... frankly.. no. in point of fact, i can look at every ethinicity in the world and see that they live in a civilization. perhaps you mean something else? like cities or modern industrialized civilization?

Just like some ehtinic groups are faster at running, and some are better thinkers for example the aboriginals have extremely good memorie compared to rest of us.

i completely, whole-heartedly disagree with this statement. some people are faster than others and there doesn't seem to be any scientific reason to draw distinctions in this regard due to ethnicity.

how can you say that? how many of the "rest of us", which would be the entire world, do you know that you can make a statement like "aboriginals have extremely good memorie compared to rest of us"?

i'm really not sure how you could come to that conclusion without actually going through the process of some sort of method to test the memories of folks.

Some of our ancestors lived in caves whilst others wrote philosophy astrology and mathematics.. Sounds bad to say, but its true. But this is one of the factors of crime in society these days. Chinese and Japanese peoples ancestors lived in very early civilisations and they have very low crime rate.. Hunter gatherer attitude in peoples genes is what gives them the urge to rob someone.
what are you talking about?

i think that you need to re-examine your evidence... especially with regards to China.

you do realize, do you not, that attitudes are not genetic? this is why you see bumper stickers that say things like "hate is not inherited" and "hate is not a family value" and all of that sort of thing.

i would, by contrast, contend that extreme poverty is more likely to motivate someone to rob than some sort of inherited attitude regarding hunting or gathering.

actually, no, they didn't.

they took one single path out of Africa... from there to India and then to the Aborgines of Australia, from India into Central Asia...and from Central Asia, to Europe and North America.

quite fascinatingly, the family that carries the genetic marker is still in Central Asia... this family, is the family of all the Europeans and Aborigines of North and South America.

unless you mean something like a cultural path??

what "stigma" are you referring to? do you have any scientific data to support your assertions that "stigmas" and "attitudes" are actually genetic traits that are passed on?
Parents pass on genetic information to there child, it changes with every generation, its not as a long process as you think it is.

well... frankly.. no. in point of fact, i can look at every ethinicity in the world and see that they live in a civilization. perhaps you mean something else? like cities or modern industrialized civilization?
All Europeans originated out of Asia but for some reasons the ones that went up north still carried on hunter gathering. Whilst the ones in the south and distinctively the Minoians who were also the first original Greek race, built civilisations, this means that they lived with a lot of people in a system with culture. The Minoans went all the way to Spain and this is why they have the symbol of the Bull that’s from the Greek Minoans. Do you know what lay beyond the Greek kingdom of Macedonia and the Rome Empire? Barbaric Tribes they were the ones which did not set up civilisation and still practised hunter gathering.

Do you know that it was the Greeks and Romans which built many of the cities in Europe, including London, The Greeks built Rome and Venice and a lot of the cites in the Mediterranean. The people southern Europe come from the Minoans right up to Portugal. Yes the Romans were barbaric yes the Greeks were but you should read some history about the Barbaric tribes of Europe, there life styles and way of life were very low and at the time of the Minoan civilisations they were living animal life styles. The Minoans were actually an Indian tribe originally and so were all people of Europe but the Minoans set up cultivation before rest. And after the Minoians came the Mycenaean greeks ect.

Why is south Europe more relgious then north? Can't you see any sort of trend as I do? And as for the Chinese they built the great wall of China to keep out the mogolians who were one of the most barbaric people that lived in this world.. Do not confuse them with the Chinese.. Also do not confuse government activity with the inhabitants of a country. Did the indians come and split up Europe like the British did to Pakistan and India to brake up her power? Nope she was too peacfull, full of religon and happiness. Who caused the trouble in the middle east?

What on earth are you talking about????
Anyone under the right circumstances is capable of violence-regardless of what their inclinations may or may not be. The key is to recognize what ones potentials are and use them to ones advantage-to build and not to destroy. That's what makes us sentient, is it not?
Every civilization, in the process of expanding, has engaged in war and resorted to what one might consider "uncivilized" measures to maintain order and compliance. No one group of people is above criticism.
Not only are you being one-sided, but you are using a method of reasoning that is tantamount to racial and ethnic profiling-how is it civilized to categorize people and force them into boxes based on their parentage, without regards to their individual capabilities beyond what genetically they might have the potential for?

Well, people naturally defensive about this or maybe I'm wrong I would edmit if I was, but this all came out of why there is high crime in the west and I was pointing out as one factor.. I might be wrong, I'm not saying I'm right, its just things I read.. Also it’s true, we are all human no individual has less or more chance committing a crime compared to anyone else in the world.. But if we look at it on a large scale it’s true.. There is less crime in south Europe then there is in north Europe and that is also a fact.

Namaste Postmaster,

thank for you for the post.

Postmaster said:
Parents pass on genetic information to there child, it changes with every generation, its not as a long process as you think it is.
nonesense and ill informed nonesense at that. seriously... you are proposing mutations at every generation! do you know what you are saying?!

All Europeans originated out of Asia but for some reasons the ones that went up north still carried on hunter gathering. Whilst the ones in the south and distinctively the Minoians who were also the first original Greek race, built civilisations, this means that they lived with a lot of people in a system with culture.

and all you need to do is present some evidence that this is so.

what do you mean by the word "civilization" for i think you are equiviocating this word to mean something other than it's plain meaning.

The Minoans went all the way to Spain and this is why they have the symbol of the Bull that’s from the Greek Minoans. Do you know what lay beyond the Greek kingdom of Macedonia and the Rome Empire? Barbaric Tribes they were the ones which did not set up civilisation and still practised hunter gathering.
it's always interesting to see how racial bigotry is played out. the "others" are always barbarians and uncultured louts that can barely stand upright. sheese.

come now Postmaster, are you seriously asserting that the Greek people didn't hunt or gather their food? what... did it just fall from the sky for them?

Do you know that it was the Greeks and Romans which built many of the cities in Europe, including London, The Greeks built Rome and Venice and a lot of the cites in the Mediterranean.

indeed. you can still see Roman roads in Europe, as well as some bridges and aquaducts.

Remus and Romulous built Rome. if you think that is not the case, please bring forth some intersubjective evidence to substantiate your claim. why would the Greeks have built Rome when they were still busy with their city-states on the Macedonian pennensula?

Why is south Europe more relgious then north?
do you have any sort of statistics or evidence to support this claim? this is a very subjective view point.

Can't you see any sort of trend as I do? And as for the Chinese they built the great wall of China to keep out the mogolians who were one of the most barbaric people that lived in this world
oh goodness. no, that is not at all why the wall was built. the wall was built to keep the mongols from returning to mongolia with all the loot they plundered.. as the most advanced military the in world, at the time, the mongolian hordes could simply ride around the Great Wall. in point of fact, there is more than the one wall, there are several of the things scattered about the country.

furthermore, the Mongolians became one of the most cultured and sophisticated peoples in the world during this time. they ruled from China in the East to Romania in the West, from Arabia in the South to Russia in the North, providing safe travel for merchants throughtout the empire. if you have a serious interest in Mongolian history, i would encourage you to read a book called "The Devils Horsemen".

.. Do not confuse them with the Chinese.. Also do not confuse government activity with the inhabitants of a country.
why would one do that? Chinese are not Mongolians.. there are 8 different ethnicities that comprise the "chinese" people, some of whom are of Mongolian descent.

Did the indians come and split up Europe like the British did to Pakistan and India to brake up her power? Nope she was too peacfull, full of religon and happiness. Who caused the trouble in the middle east?
er... Pakistan was created by the United Nations after the British left India. it was created to be a seperate state for the large Muslim population of India. it did not exist as a seperate state before that time.

so.. your position is that colonialism was a detriment to the world? i think that you'd be hard pressed to find any that would disagree with that view.

who caused trouble in the Middle East? the Ottomans. why?

Originally Posted by Postmaster

nonesense and ill informed nonesense at that. seriously... you are proposing mutations at every generation! do you know what you are saying?!
It changes with every generation, at a very very tiny level, never the less it still changes. But Gene's still make almost exact copies from one to the other.
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/humtrait.html

er... Pakistan was created by the United Nations after the British left India. it was created to be a seperate state for the large Muslim population of India. it did not exist as a seperate state before that time.
There are still Muslims in India and there are still Hindus and sikhs in Pakistan, I was actaully talking to a British Indian who has a degree in History about it last night at work a father with children. The British empire left India and split her up to brake up her power and rivalry by relgion not race, how many religons are there in Greece and who has a problem with it? Why would that be any differnt in India? One of saddam’s closest men was a Christian and thats a fact.

Ok folks - enough of the politics in this thread and forum. Postmaster, especially - if you want to discuss politics, there's a forum for that, please use it. This was only marginally on topic to start with, and has gone way off.

.... Bruce (moderator)

Namaste postmaster,

thank you for the post.

Postmaster said:
It changes with every generation, at a very very tiny level, never the less it still changes. But Gene's still make almost exact copies from one to the other.
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/humtrait.html
i don't see anything in the link that supports the view that mutations are happening in every generation. it most certainly says that we are nearly exact copies, which is what you'd expect, however, we are combined, as such, we aren't *quite* exact.

There are still Muslims in India and there are still Hindus and sikhs in Pakistan, I was actaully talking to a British Indian who has a degree in History about it last night at work a father with children.

of course, there are Christians, Jains, Buddhists, Taoists, Vedantists et al, in India. not as many in the Pakistan areas.. especially these days.

The British empire left India and split her up to brake up her power and rivalry by relgion not race,

you are correct, i was mistaken. it was an act of British parliment that created West Pakistan and East Pakistan. East Pakistan has become Bangladesh.

how many religons are there in Greece and who has a problem with it? Why would that be any differnt in India? One of saddam’s closest men was a Christian and thats a fact.
i'm unclear how this is related to the OP? i suspect there are many religions in Greece, why do you ask? i'm not sure of the relevance of any of the religious belifes of Saddam or his cronies.

I just want to apologise for my words, never my intent to cause anyone harm I would rather end this conversion with an apology one which you are worthy of.

Back