What are you currently reading?

Modesty

Reaction score
I'm reading Horror: A Very Short Introduction and Over the Garden Wall: Soulful Symphonies. I'm starting to get into the autumn/spooky season mood, so I'm going to be starting on my Halloween reading list soon. How about y'all?

My city's proposed property taxes.

On a lighter note, the Fall Brochure from the local community college for personal development courses.

@Modesty

I am reading "Bodies of Songs" by Linda Hess.
I am trying to further my understanding of Kabir, not so much about the person but more about the culture and experience that has developed around Kabir.
I have been reading poems attributed to Kabir for 40 years but in the last few years I have also been listening to the people who sing Kabir poems and there is much variation in the songs which vary in singers from different parts of India & Pakistan.
Many of these people are illiterate(like Kabir) and I find their singing a special experience which I want to delve into more. It is something more than words(not about getting the words right)
That's the best I can do in explaining this.
(I hardly understand it myself. :))

I'm reading The Witcher and The Complete Writings of Zhuangzi. One cos I enjoy fantasy, the other cos I wanna learn more about Daoism.

Is the Netflix series, the Witcher, based on this book? (I've not watched it, but a few people have recommended it.)

I'm reading Horror: A Very Short Introduction and Over the Garden Wall: Soulful Symphonies. I'm starting to get into the autumn/spooky season mood, so I'm going to be starting on my Halloween reading list soon. How about y'all?
Is Horror fiction? a nonfic about its history? or a writing guide?

Ever read the Malazan fantasy series? Plenty of darkness in there for me...

Last edited:
What are your thoughts so far? :)
I've read several of the abridged versions, and am never satisfied; something's always left out.

I figured this was the only way to really avoid that feeling... :D

It often brings me peace when reading it. I'm loving all the smaller stories I haven't read before, too.

Is Horror fiction? a nonfic about its history? or a writing guide?

Ever read the Malazan fantasy series? Plenty of darkness in there for me...

It's a nonfiction book about the history of horror! And no, but I've heard of it! I used to be really into fantasy and sci fi, I need to get back into it. My favourite genre is definitely horror though. How are you enjoying The Witcher?

It often brings me peace when reading it. I'm loving all the smaller stories I haven't read before, too.

I think spiritual reading can be a uniquely peaceful experience :) the NT used to give me anxiety for some reason, but I love reading the OT.

How are you enjoying The Witcher?
Quite well! Nowhere near as dark as Malazan but still quite good. Also, reading Lavey's Satanic Bible in bite sized pieces when the fancy takes me. It is definitely anti-Christianity but not really evil as Christianity media claimed. Just proposed an alternate way of thinking about life which is also quite humorous.

I completely forgot I made this thread!

I haven't started my new job yet so I've been off for the past two weeks and using the time to catch up on my reading as much as I can (that's also the reason why I've been posting on here so prolifically lol; I have a lot of free time right now). I've finished three or four books in the last few weeks and I'm hoping to read more books about religion. I recently read God: A Very Short Introduction which I highly recommend, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I haven't started my new job yet so I've been off for the past two weeks and using the time to catch up on my reading as much as I can (that's also the reason why I've been posting on here so prolifically lol; I have a lot of free time right now). I've finished three or four books in the last few weeks and I'm hoping to read more books about religion. I recently read God: A Very Short Introduction which I highly recommend, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.
That's great .. it's good to see people making good use of their time.
I only wish I could do better in that department. :)

I'm currently reading my book of notes that I had inspired to me in some cases and also wrote down some really insightful observations from other books I read (about 160 laminated pages) called "sharh al lawh" or "explanation of the tablet" in english.

I'm also going over some great audio lessons from a very nice shia seminary online on the topics of arabic grammar, morphology, logic and public speaking (I personally am a sunni muslim but I love a lot of things about the shia especially love islamic mysticism.)

I'm currently reading my book of notes that I had inspired to me in some cases

Wow, that's fascinating. How do you mean inspired?

I'm also going over some great audio lessons from a very nice shia seminary online on the topics of arabic grammar, morphology, logic and public speaking (I personally am a sunni muslim but I love a lot of things about the shia especially love islamic mysticism.)

The internet is great for stuff like that. I've been able to find so many religious resources online that would be much harder to find in physical books.

20230920_170421.jpg

Last edited:
Right now I'm reading Martyrs & Mystics: The Extraordinary Untold Story of Britain's Spiritual Heritage. It's very much 'pop history' but it's been a fun read so far. If anyone is interested, I can post a link to it (it's free legally online as an ebook).

Back