questions about astronomy...

abuyusufalshafii

Reaction score
Why is it that the planetoi (wandering stars or as we say now, the 8 planets) lighter and hotter from further away but darker and colder from much closer up?

Why does the Sun look bigger and more orange at the horizon than it does at its apex?

Why does the moon only show one side all the time?

"There is no dark side to the moon really, as matter of a fact, it's all dark" ;)
- Pink Floyd -

Welcome to the forums!

Is it that the moon rotates at the same speed as the earth, so as it orbits, we only see
the same side of the moon?

I would only add that since the moon broke off from the earth at some point in the distant past, that is why we only see one side of it. A bit like swinging a tetherball around...

And welcome aboard!

Is it that the moon rotates at the same speed as the earth, so as it orbits, we only see
the same side of the moon?

Exactly

The sun and moon at the horizon "appear" larger because we have reference points (buildings, mountains) to compare where at their zenith we have nothing.

Interesting point.

I would only add that since the moon broke off from the earth at some point in the distant past, that is why we only see one side of it. A bit like swinging a tetherball around...

And welcome aboard!

Thanks you as well

Does anyone know the answer to this as well?
Any ignited star will be hotter from closer up. Brown dwarves are large planetary masses that are just below the mass required to ignite and become a sun, but like other planets are only visible by reflected light. Planets and planetoids do not give off light or heat? I think

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I have a few more questions which is why do does it immediately turn dark when spaceships leave the o-zone layer with the sun facing right in front of them (they leave the earth in daylight but it immediately turns dark as they leave (no more sun rays), then when they look at the earth, there is no sign of an ozone layer, just normal day light.

Not to mention, if it was just gathered light particles under the ozone layer, than why does it get cooler and darker when under shade?

Thanks for the reply.

I have a few more questions which is why do does it immediately turn dark when spaceships leave the o-zone layer with the sun facing right in front of them (they leave the earth in daylight but it immediately turns dark as they leave (no more sun rays), then when they look at the earth, there is no sign of an ozone layer, just normal day light.

Not to mention, if it was just gathered light particles under the ozone layer, than why does it get cooler and darker when under shade?
Atmosphere gases.

The sun rays are still there....but sun rays are not visible until they shine/reflect off solid objects. When you look at the sun, they land in your eyes and are perceived...when you look away you can't see them until they land on something else.and are reflected back to your eyes again.

Why is it that the planetoi (wandering stars or as we say now, the 8 planets) lighter and hotter from further away but darker and colder from much closer up?
You might imagine the above but it really is the other way around.
The more distant planets are extremely cold, but their inner cores are extremely hot because of either seismic activity or massive density. Imagine seas of methane on some distant planets.
Why does the Sun look bigger and more orange at the horizon than it does at its apex?
Our atmosphere causes the low sun to look red.
Because over the millenia it has fallen in to a kind of orbital resonance with Earth, so it's spin exactly matches it's orbit.

Reactions: wil
Thanks for the reply.

The sun's rays light up our atmosphere's atoms/molecules. Beyond our atmosphere there is nothing to be lit up.

Reactions: wil
Back