Public Evangelization

Modesty

Reaction score
When I was in college, I was approached randomly by a girl who asked me a few confusing questions. I remember one of them was about who I thought "the lamb" was in the Bible. She then told me about who she called "God the Mother", and asked for my number so she could invite me to her Bible study. I thought she was just a random, nice Christian student who was trying to convert me. Years later, I found out that there is a Korean group called World Mission Society Church of God, and that they regularly approach college students (mostly female) and try to get them to join their religion. They always bring up "God the Mother" and ask you to a Bible study.

Other than this, I've never been approached by evangelists or proselytizers in public before. I was curious if you guys have ever had an experience like this, and what you think of public attempts to convert people. I don't get offended by it, but I'm skeptical that it works. Firstly, especially as a woman, I'm a automatically on my guard when strangers try to approach me randomly (obviously not if its just to ask the time or for directions or whatever, but if it feels like they have an 'agenda'). Secondly, I think that there are much more efficient ways to reach your intended audience, like via the internet, pamphlets that you leave out, etc. It's a less aggressive way of getting your message across. Finally, I think a lot of people tend to associate public evangelization with cults these days.

I'd like to know what you guys think about this topic.

Last edited:
Well.. my view is that's exactly what Jesus and later His apostles did. He went out and evangelized. Times have certainly changed though and you don't see it happen very often anymore. I shared a video in the Christianity forum of this guy Titus that went to Nashville and did just that.

Christians were commanded to go out into the world to share the good news as the Great Commission.

Well.. my view is that's exactly what Jesus and later His apostles did. He went out and evangelized. Times have certainly changed though and you don't see it happen very often anymore. I shared a video in the Christianity forum of this guy Titus that went to Nashville and did just that.

Christians were commanded to go out into the world to share the good news as the Great Commission.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I definitely don't mind people trying to evangelize me. I think for me, I just wonder about what is most effective. I think the best evangelization efforts I've seen have taken place online, especially on YouTube. There are so many good Christian channels out there that articulate Christianity so well in an effort to draw people to the Faith, and in a medium that the current generation is familiar with. Honestly, it was instrumental in my own conversion. Obviously not all evangelization can or should take place online though. I think it depends on how the message is delivered. A street preacher screaming at you that you're going to hell is much different than Christian outreach programs that aim to spread the Gospel in their community through charity, Bible studies, etc.

I see multiple sides to this coin. I have mixed and contrary feelings about the whole notion.

Some folks (I put FS among them) have deep beliefs regarding being saved, eternal life, and eternal damnation and an actual concern for another's soul.

While I disagree with all of that (and would not write this if we were in the.christian forum) I have to respect the motive.

Of course I also have to respect the Mormon, the Muslim, the Jehovah Withness and the Hare Krishna that does the same...for the same reason! They have been indoctrinated by their belief to perform similar...

But living in capitalism I see them all trying to build their pyramid schemes to bring more money in the coffers...to do their good works they say...misery loves company I say...the only way to feel good about falling prey to these things is to get another to come aboard.

All that being said yall know I come from my own view of metaphysical spiritism and discuss it openly here and in life drop the tidbits or seeds of my perspective on others in a much more subliminal logic and common sense methodology...same difference...same end justifies the means? I think I would be justly accused...I think we all like our flavor of kool-aid.

I think the street corner preachers are simply street performers pushing their street corn, hoping to fill their hat. I did it with juggling, magic and jokes, they do it with promises and threats.

6 decades after I started questioning Sunday school teachers and my skepticism is still strong.

But on the same vein, knock on my door when I am in the right mood and I will invite you in for tea and quiz ya till the cows come home.

My brain on this topic is like a ball stuck between bumpers on a pinball machine.

Interesting.

I was a member of an esoteric organisation during the 70-80s and ended up a teacher, before we parted ways, and used to host 'open evenings' and present what was basically a hotchpotch of stuff – hermetica, tarot, palmistry and other forms of divination, The Laws, the Ray of Creation (a la Gurdjieff), Egyptology ... all the woo-hoo stuff ... There was also a fair amount of practical stuff – the aura, crystals, healing ... you name it, we were into it. The Research into Lost Knowledge Organisation (RILKO) was another one.

I think there was a lot more interest then than there is now – I have to say it seems to me there's been a shift, driven by consumerism and corporates catching on to the 70s-80s spiritual questing and finding ways to market it commercially.

Other than that ... JWs knocking on the door ...

We occasionally get fire and brimstone pamphlet pushers. I usually go the other way.

One of the most terrifying experiences I have had was when we had a preacher single us out in a large public group, and not in a positive manner. Our city has a problem with gun violence, and the newspaper stated there was going to be a series of 'peace walks' in the neighborhoods the incidents were mostly occurring. They would be led by a group of preachers/ministers(I'm not sure what the correct terminology is), but was a secular event open to all.

Being a victim of the city's gun problem myself, it was important to me that we show up. I left the kids with my sister, and my husband and I showed up. As the group gathered, one of the preachers started a sermon. That's fine. Whatever rallies folks. His style was angry/indignant. Fine. Everyone's got their style. And then he turned and gestured at us. "If you're not here doing it for the Lord, we don't want you here! Your evil influences won't help! Convert(I think another word was used, but memory fades) now, free yourself of the devil's influence!" We both remained stone faced and ignored the commentary, and did the march, but I really felt unsafe.

(For background information, my husband and I look like a lot of fun... I think their not incorrect assumption that we weren't Christians was based on our clothes/general appearance. I'm not sure they could have accurately guess what we were, though.)

I had some Mormon teens be rude to me when I wouldn't accept their material. I didn't feel unsafe, just annoyed.

I used to feel sorry for the poor JW girl who'd come to visit. It was clear she knew how to talk to Christians of other denominations, and atheists that had been raised in a Christian environment. She had no idea what to do with me.

JWs knocking on the door .
We had our local JW round this morning for a couple of hours, we have known him for many years. I have been inviting him to join in with the various Churches Together activities in our town, food banks, homeless shelters, debt help, good neighbours schemes and more. Sadly, JW's can't work with other faith groups. When it comes to evangelisation, people don't care what we believe, unless we have something in common. I feel that shared beliefs are acts of kindness, when we help someone for their benefit, with no strings attached.

I have been a Street Pastor for fifteen years, we wonder the streets of our town until 3 - 4 am, to listen, care and help when we can. We have jackets that clearly say we are Christian, but we don't go out to preach. I try and make a point, not to talk about God, unless someone asks me first. We have helped a lot of people in all kinds of situations, we have probably saved lives and serious harm. People thank us, they respect what we do, we have been told many times, we have helped people change their lives. In this respect, when people ask us about God, it is because we have first earned the right to speak. This is the ongoing journey, we first had to lay a fifteen year foundation of service.

Trying to be the Gospel, to live the Gospel and trying to be the change we want to see, is where I think evangelisation works.

Being a victim of the city's gun problem myself,
You have survived to write your story, I hope it was not too traumatic.

Street Pastors was influenced by an incident in Jamaica. A friend of a church minister was shot and killed by a gang of youths. After the funeral, the minister and some of the congregation prayed, and they asked, what can we do to help these kids with guns? They are probably on drugs and living in poverty. A few of the congregation then went to engage with gangs of youths, and they started to make a difference.

Les Issacs then took the idea back to the UK, and started Street Pastors about twenty years ago. We still engage with angry drunken violence, I have asked two people to hand over their knife. We strive to make our towns a kinder and more caring place to live. We understand the risks involved, but so far none of us have been hurt. This is beyond my understanding, because I know what we confront. We are out again tomorrow night, our shift starts at 11.30 pm.

While I disagree with all of that (and would not write this if we were in the.christian forum) I have to respect the motive.

Same here. I understand its from a compassionate motivation, even if it can be unpleasant for me. It actually is hard to put yourself out there and be willing to share your beliefs with another person, so I also admire missionaries and evangelists.

But on the same vein, knock on my door when I am in the right mood and I will invite you in for tea and quiz ya till the cows come home.

That's another interesting practice. I wonder if I would feel less or more comfortable with evangelists if they knocked on my door vs. approached me in public. I see the JWs here going door to door, but weirdly they've never knocked on our door.

You have survived to write your story, I hope it was not too traumatic.
It caused PTSD for a few years, and I still get nervous in groups of young people wearing red(the gang colors of those who invaded our house), but it was over a decade ago and I'm doing a lot better.
Street Pastors was influenced by an incident in Jamaica. A friend of a church minister was shot and killed by a gang of youths. After the funeral, the minister and some of the congregation prayed, and they asked, what can we do to help these kids with guns? They are probably on drugs and living in poverty. A few of the congregation then went to engage with gangs of youths, and they started to make a difference.

Les Issacs then took the idea back to the UK, and started Street Pastors about twenty years ago. We still engage with angry drunken violence, I have asked two people to hand over their knife. We strive to make our towns a kinder and more caring place to live. We understand the risks involved, but so far none of us have been hurt. This is beyond my understanding, because I know what we confront. We are out again tomorrow night, our shift starts at 11.30 pm.
Thanks for the work you do. This is exactly what is needed...

I had an opportunity to talk to a few young men in gangs when no one else was around. (As a poor young woman, I probably wasn't very intimidating.) It seems they are scared senseless of each other, and what will happen to them and their families if they disobey 'orders'. They also don't know how to get out...

I mourn for all the young men caught up in this. I got my life back after being the victim of the crime... I don't think any of them did. One I know was shot and killed in another gang incident, another in jail(don't know what became of the third that was involved).

I was a member of an esoteric organisation during the 70-80s and ended up a teacher, before we parted ways, and used to host 'open evenings' and present what was basically a hotchpotch of stuff – hermetica, tarot, palmistry and other forms of divination, The Laws, the Ray of Creation (a la Gurdjieff), Egyptology ... all the woo-hoo stuff ... There was also a fair amount of practical stuff – the aura, crystals, healing ... you name it, we were into it. The Research into Lost Knowledge Organisation (RILKO) was another one.

Wow, that's absolutely fascinating! I feel like you don't see as many groups like that anymore. There's still a lot of woo-woo stuff, but I don't know if esotericism is the massive movement it used to be in the west.

I think there was a lot more interest then than there is now – I have to say it seems to me there's been a shift, driven by consumerism and corporates catching on to the 70s-80s spiritual questing and finding ways to market it commercially.

Definitely. Crystals are still super popular but yeah, its become very commercialized. People make whole businesses out of selling fake crystals. 'Manifesting' is a super popular form of spirituality right now, and its literally all about using spirituality to gain the material things you want, like a car, house, etc. Religion for Breakfast did a great video on it.

I have been a Street Pastor for fifteen years, we wonder the streets of our town until 3 - 4 am, to listen, care and help when we can. We have jackets that clearly say we are Christian, but we don't go out to preach. I try and make a point, not to talk about God, unless someone asks me first. We have helped a lot of people in all kinds of situations, we have probably saved lives and serious harm. People thank us, they respect what we do, we have been told many times, we have helped people change their lives. In this respect, when people ask us about God, it is because we have first earned the right to speak. This is the ongoing journey, we first had to lay a fifteen year foundation of service.

This is the kind of evangelization that I think is most effective, imo. I'd love to see more of this kind of work in my city, because we desperately need it. Much respect for your work!

Being a victim of the city's gun problem myself, it was important to me that we show up. I left the kids with my sister, and my husband and I showed up. As the group gathered, one of the preachers started a sermon. That's fine. Whatever rallies folks. His style was angry/indignant. Fine. Everyone's got their style. And then he turned and gestured at us. "If you're not here doing it for the Lord, we don't want you here! Your evil influences won't help! Convert(I think another word was used, but memory fades) now, free yourself of the devil's influence!" We both remained stone faced and ignored the commentary, and did the march, but I really felt unsafe.

So sorry that happened to you :( especially considering why you were attending the march. That's the kind of public 'evangelization' that I hate. It's like the Westboro Baptist Church marches.

Yeah ... it was a different time ...

When Reiki became popular, because it was Japanese, I enrolled and went through the process, and recognised much of the stuff I used to talk about in my cultic days. We called the Reiki energy 'the fizz' then ... such innocence (we were duped, of course).

As a practicing martial artist, I realised that most of the biography of its founder, Sensei Usui, was a fabrication to make a Japanese practice culturally acceptable in America.

I knew of Sensei Usui as a swordsman and as an exponent of Shugendo, the very severe path of the mountain ascetics – in short, a ninja of sorts (not the Hollywood dressed-in-black, straight-edged-sword-wielding magician of popular mythology) and as he was attached to the Japanese embassy to China, with no specific function ... hmmm ...

There was a very guarded esoteric Reiki school in the UK, all exponents of the martial arts.

I fell out with Reiki because:
1: The Reiki energy is not the Holy Spirit;
2: The maxim that you cannot do anyone harm with the Reiki energy is based on the fact that no-one is 'powerful' enough an exponent.
(There are reiki teachings in some martial arts curricula and it is definitely offensive, and effective means of overcoming your opponent – and not just physically.)

And yes ... as for 'manifesting', I was gobsmacked when a C-list celeb pop star was extolling the virtues of Buddhist meditation because he focussed on wanting a Porsche, and he got one!

When Reiki became popular, because it was Japanese, I enrolled and went through the process, and recognised much of the stuff I used to talk about in my cultic days. We called the Reiki energy 'the fizz' then ... such innocence (we were duped, of course).

As a practicing martial artist, I realised that most of the biography of its founder, Sensei Usui, was a fabrication to make a Japanese practice culturally acceptable in America.

I had no idea where Reiki came from until now! I find often when you trace back the origins of popular 'exotic' spiritual practices in the West, you end up disappointed, because the way people practice it here is often stripped of its original context and intentions.

And yes ... as for 'manifesting', I was gobsmacked when a C-list celeb pop star was extolling the virtues of Buddhist meditation because he focussed on wanting a Porsche, and he got one!

Ugh, yes. I see so many 'life coaches' who offer guided manifesting sessions and whilst I do try to see the good intentions and genuine belief behind these things, I think they often target people who are disadvantaged financially and socially and try to convince them manifesting will fix their life...

Fifteen years volunteering with street pastors, I have benefited from maybe half a dozen BBQs and one Christmas lunch.

No one said you could ask for a Porsche, must check through our policies, we could be missing out:D

Reactions: RJM
Wow, that's absolutely fascinating! I feel like you don't see as many groups like that anymore. There's still a lot of woo-woo stuff, but I don't know if esotericism is the massive movement it used to be in the west.
I don't think it is ... I know the Traditionalist sites and forums I used to visit are either gone or haven't been touched for years.

World Wisdom Books is still going, I think. Studies in Comparative Religion hasn't been updated for years. Sophia Perennis seems to have closed ... makes me feel old ...

Back in the early 1970s, I was a teenager. One Saturday afternoon, I was walking home through a shopping centre when I saw a stunningly attractive young woman giving me this dazzling smile. She was somewhat hippyish in appearance, as was I.This was love at first sight. As I approached, she greeted me with a cheerful "hi". She had an American accent, which made her even more exotic. She then gave me a leaflet about some whacky religious group. I mumbled my thanks and went home heartbroken.

The next morning, my mothers 'News of the World' arrived. The headline was "Hookers for Christ" It was about a group who would lure young men into sexual relationships to recruit them. What had I done? I spent a lot of the following Saturday in the shopping centre, but I never saw her again.
Maybe just as well, the group was the children of God.

Maybe just as well, the group was the children of God.

Wow, close call!

This is another reason why I'm wary of public evangelization, a lot of times it is the more questionable groups who practice it.

Back