Islam Rules for Baha'i

The fourth commandment Sabbath day of rest is emphasised time and again in the Old Testament; it is a most important observance for Jews. It has entered Christianity too, though less strictly observed.

However it is much less a feature of Islam, in most cases reduced to a special call for prayer on Friday afternoon -- and Baha’i seem to discard the sabbath observance altogether as a weekly day of rest from earthly labour?
You would be incorrect. The Bab set it as Friday, Abdul'baha has confirmed it will eventually be a Friday.

"..God has created Friday for purity and pleasantness, and the resting of His servants from what they undertake on other days.."
The Báb, Persian Bayan, Vahid 7, 17

Regards Tony

Reactions: RJM
You would be incorrect. The Bab set it as Friday, Abdul'baha has confirmed it will eventually be a Friday.

"..God has created Friday for purity and pleasantness, and the resting of His servants from what they undertake on other days.."
The Báb, Persian Bayan, Vahid 7, 17

Regards Tony
So 200 years later, is Friday observed by Baha's worldwide as a day of rest? Not arguing, just asking?

Last edited:
The fourth commandment Sabbath day of rest is emphasised time and again in the Old Testament; it is a most important observance for Jews. It has entered Christianity too, though less strictly observed..
Don't get me started on the subject of Sunday 'opening hours' here in the UK. :)
I've always liked the relative peace and quiet of Sundays.

From Wiki

The Quran shares the six-part Abrahamic creation narrative and the Sabbath as the seventh day, but God's mounting the throne after creation is taken in contradistinction to Elohim's concluding and resting from his labours.

The Quran states that since Sabbath was only for Jews, Muslims replace Sabbath rest with jumu'ah (Arabic: جمعة). Also known as "Friday prayer", jumu'ah is a congregational prayer (salat) held every Friday (the Day of Assembly), just after midday, in place of the otherwise daily dhuhr prayer;

The Quran states: "When the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday, hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of Allah, and leave off business: That is best for you if ye but knew" (62:9) .

The next verse ("When the prayer is ended, then disperse in the land ...") leads many Muslims not to consider Friday a rest day, as in Indonesia, which regards the seventh-day Sabbath as unchanged; but many Muslim countries, such as Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bangladesh, do consider Friday a nonwork day, a holiday or a weekend; and other Muslim countries, like Pakistan, count it as half a rest day (after the Friday prayer is over). Jumu'ah attendance is strictly incumbent upon all free adult males who are residents of the locality (and not travelling).

So 200 years later, is Friday observed by Baha's worldwide as a day of rest? Not arguing, just asking?
No, it is for a more distant future, as we work the hours set in each Nation. This was the response to this question.

Q. Which day of the week will the Baháis eventually observe as a day of rest?
A. Friday.

‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Star of the West, Vol 1, No. 12, p. 2

It is still Sunday in Australia.

The issue is materialism, it neglects the sabbath.

Regards Tony

Could have fooled me . . .
Just a different Frame of Reference.

As the OP is not about "Why is Baha'i allowing Islam to dictate what Baha'i is and is not?"

And the OP is not about, "Is Baha'i just another faction of Islam?"

It is asking what practices have the Baha'i carried over from Islam, in the way they practice them. The simple answer to that is that no practices were carried over in the way they were previously practising, but are carried over in a new form, with new frames of references.

Regards Tony

Last edited:
Just a different Frame of Reference.

As the OP is not about "Why is Baha'i allowing Islam to dictate what Baha'i is and is not?"

And the OP is not about, "Is Baha'i just another faction of Islam?"

It is asking what practices have the Baha'i carried over from Islam, in the way they practice them. The simple answer to that is that no practices were carried over in the way they were previously practising, but are carried over in a new form, with new frames of references.

Regards Tony
LOL

Back