Zoroastrianism

aquaris

Reaction score
Here are some excrepts from an excellent article I was able to save to my Snippets....sorry I forgot the oringal site on which this discussion took place..
..But ...here are some selected excepts...

Zoroastrianism was the first revealed monotheistic faith founded by the Prophet Spenta Zarathustra. Exact period of birth of Zarathustra is not be determined but the conservative Zoroastrians believe it to be around 4000 BC, or even earlier. Zoroastrianism took roots in Southern Persia at a place known as Fars which the Greeks pronounced as Pars. The Pars gave the further derivatives like Persia, Persians and the Parsees. Persia was renamed Iran as late as 1935 by Emperor Raza Shah Pehelvi.

It was Cyrus the great who united Persia in 559 BC and Zoroastrianism was established as a state religion. When Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 BC, the Jews were freed from slavery. The Jews regarded him as their messiah and this led to a 500 years of peaceful co-existence between the Persians and the Jews. Zoroastrianism greatly influenced Judaism; and consequently, Christianity and Islam. The words `Satan’, `Paradise’ and `Amen’ originated from Aveshtha, the Zoroastrian language.
The other ancient philosophy emanated from Zoroastrianism which explained that a man’s life is a struggle between the good and the evil. Its monotheistic concept included a satan, a messiah, death, resurrection, day of judgment, heaven and hell. Originally from Zoroastrianism, this philosophy was followed by Judaism, Christianity and Islam with their own other internal differences.

So We find.... the root of Monotheism in Zorastrainism....??
Right...?
So My Question is....Why isn't Zorantrainism... in the Monotheirm's Threads..
True.. it does have a seperate Thread....But why isn't it in the Main Monothiem thread...?

...and I have heard.... that during the Earlier part of expansion of Islam... that is during Hazrat Umer's teneure....( Second Muslim Caliph ) they were even considered to be the people of the book....

The Zoroastrians belief is of one Supreme Entity, the Wise Lord, Ahura Mazd, who is invisible and formless, is a source of goodness, energy and light. While, Ahura Mazda is the source of wisdom and goodness, Angra Mainyu is Satan, a source of evil and darkness. A man has the freedom to choose between the virtue and the vice. There is a concept of the body and soul. After death, the soul crosses a bridge (Chinvato Paretu), where the good deeds are weighed against the bad deeds. Either the person falls into a hell or crosses the bridge to reach the heaven. The savior or sayoshant plays its part on the day of judgment. Eventually, everyone is expected to be purified and the occupants of the hell will also be released.

Contrary to the general perception, the Zoroastrians do not worship Fire. Fire is used in the temple as a point of focus like the Cross or Kaaba. The Fire, which is radiant, pure and life sustaining, symbolizes the Wise Lord, Ahura mazda.

The core concept of Zoroastrianism is exactly the same as followed by Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Differences are only in symbology and details.

This was a big surprise for me. In fact, Zoroastrianism is simpler and has a stronger ethical & environmental content.

Historically, like Judaism, it has suffered in terms of expansion because of its inter-marriage and non-conversion philosophy.

Likewise, other religions, which were not aggressive enough, lost out.

Too bad that zoroaster is now best known only in the perverted form that Nietzsche created in "Thus Spake Zarathustra" by having the prophet zoraster (whom he called Zarathustra)

As to religion, there is so much similarity that I have to honestly wonder if Zorastrianism influenced the ritual and the symbology of Judaism as a religion.

aquaris said:
Why isn't Zorantrainism... in the Monotheirm's Threads..
Simply because I try to only create boards where there is already an established need. But maybe I should...

I'm planning something of an overhaul of this site extremely soon - I'll try and add that to the "to-do" list. :)

Zoroastrianism is a fascinating religion, but to say that it influenced Judaism is a tad incorrect. It has definitely influenced Christianity and Islam, but the concept of Hell is non-existant in Judaism. In addition, both Islam and Judaism are strictly monotheistic, whereas Zoroastrianism has a hint of being dualistic in nature. In Judaism(I cannot speak for Islam) there is no concept of any being anywhere even remotely equal to G-d. There is no satan or negative force, there is only G-d's hand. Temptations are not the result of demons, but challenges that G-d himself places before us. The Jews most certainly came into contact with the followers of Zoroaster, but to say they adopted their beliefs does not appear to be the case. With that being said, I second the notion of there being a Zoroastrian board because I would love to learn more about it.

And yet in judaism there are clear evidences of the impact of Zorastrian thought. The promotion / demotion of HaSatan from the court of Yahweh to an innimical being in his own right, the addition of the concepts of the immortality of the soul, a final judgement, heaven and hell all appeared in post-exilic judaism. This, of course, was the reason for the differences between Sadduccees (followers of PRE-exilic Judaism) and Pharisees (foloowers / teachers of post-exilic Judaism).

Kiwimac

Unfortunately, the story of HaSatan is a metaphor used in the book of Job. It is not something the Jews believed actually happened for all angels are obedient to G-d. The concepts of a final judgement(I assume you mean something like armageddon) does not appear in Judaism. The same is true for concepts of Heaven and Hell, we have a concept of Heaven that is nothing like the christian concept(which I assume WAS influenced by Zoroastrianism), and no concept of Hell whatsoever.

As to the concept of Immortality of the soul, this perhaps was influenced by Zoroastrianism as this is a Jewish philosophical concept, though I do not think we will ever know for sure. Perhaps the influence went the other way(Judaism --> Zoroastrianism)?

In addition, I am not sure why we are arguing this, it is irrelevant and we will never know either way with any certainity. I am posting this not to be inflammatory, I reach my hand out to you with respect towards your great and ancient religion, but to clarify the views of Judaism on these issues.

Zoroastrianism: Holy Spirit: "source of life", "emanates"
Catholicism: Holy Spirit: "giver of life", "proceeds"

Back