Eric Metaxas

Nicholas Weeks

Bodhicitta
Reaction score
“A prophetic trumpet blast warning of the parallels between the darkness of a previous era and the coming darkness of our own, Letter to the American Church lingers in the chambers of the heart and pleads with the hearer to reckon with this message of a modern watchman on the wall.”

—David Engelhardt, senior pastor of Kings’ Church NYC and author of Good Kills

From Metaxas Introduction to Letter to the American Church:

"I have written this book because I am convinced the American Church is at an impossibly—and almost unbearably—important inflection point. The parallels to where the German Church was in the 1930s are unavoidable and grim. So the only question—and what concerns us in this slim volume—is whether we might understand those parallels, and thereby avoid the fatal mistakes the German Church made during that time, and their superlatively catastrophic results. If we do not, I am convinced we will reap a whirlwind greater even than the one they did.
The German Church of the 1930s was silent in the face of evil; but can there be any question whether the American Church of our own time is guilty of the same silence? Because of this, I am compelled to speak out, and to say what—only by God’s grace—I might say to make plain where we find ourselves at this moment, at our own unavoidably crucial crossroads in history."

It seems a common theme to consider oneself (and/or one's Church) as being at the hub, at the crossroads of history. I think we have to let go of that and proceed as simply as possible, living in the moment, accepting the gifts of Grace as they unfold.

It seems a common theme to consider oneself (and/or one's Church) as being at the hub, at the crossroads of history. I think we have to let go of that and proceed as simply as possible, living in the moment, accepting the gifts of Grace as they unfold.
His main point was self-centered passivity controlling many Christians, not the Church being at the hub of history. Faith without works for others is not following Christ, as James wrote.

Thge question is whether one is following Christ, or the conservative right ...

From chapter seven of Metaxas on Luther & "by faith alone":

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?… But someone will say, “You
have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. (James 2:14, 18–26)

I
His main point was self-centered passivity controlling many Christians, not the Church being at the hub of history. Faith without works for others is not following Christ, as James wrote.
I'm not a Christian. Converting what I do "follow" into Christian-speak, "works" will inevitably follow from genuine "faith".

Or in my own "speak", ethics are a by-product of wisdom. Again, seeking wisdom is not passive and will in some way involve a positive relationship with the world - yet, paradoxically (perhaps) positive/explicit/conscious attempts to do "works" can produce the Pharisee rather than the saint.

Anyway, I think I'm getting in a tangle here.

I'm not a Christian. Converting what I do "follow" into Christian-speak, "works" will inevitably follow from genuine "faith".

Or in my own "speak", ethics are a by-product of wisdom. Again, seeking wisdom is not passive and will in some way involve a positive relationship with the world - yet, paradoxically (perhaps) positive/explicit/conscious attempts to do "works" can produce the Pharisee rather than the saint.

Nor am I a Xtian, Buddha has been my principal inspiration for 45 + years or so. --

"works" will inevitably follow from genuine "faith". That is point Metaxas is making to his fellow Xtians; "faith" is not genuine for many.

As I almost wrote before -- "self-centered passivity controls most humans."

Nor am I a Xtian, Buddha has been my principal inspiration for 45 + years or so. --

"works" will inevitably follow from genuine "faith". That is point Metaxas is making to his fellow Xtians; "faith" is not genuine for many.

As I almost wrote before -- "self-centered passivity controls most humans."
OK. We seem to have our wires crossed - or I have crossed them!

I

"To be proud of virtue is to poison oneself with the antidote," -Benjamin Franklin

Back