I believe in good!

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I believe the world is evolving to a more peaceful place...

Ever since Cain and Able...it's Biblical.

All recorded history we continue to be more compassionate, take care of more of us and kill less (percentage wise) of our fellow man.

This thread is for posting evidence or links which support my thesis, now we know there are negative Nellie's and they can't help themselves but disagree... misery desires company.

Evolution of dogs agrees...

You're more optimistic than I am. I actually agree with the verse about nothing new being under the sun. The more I read about history, the more I am convinced that we have not grown in intelligence. Knowledge? Yes. But we seem just as awful as we always were. Nothing has changed. We also have very little written history about humankind. Humans have been on earth for a long time yet we know very little about our past. So I doubt we have become more peaceful.

All recorded history we continue to be more compassionate, take care of more of us and kill less (percentage wise) of our fellow man.

This thread is for posting evidence or links which support my thesis, now we know there are negative Nellie's and they can't help themselves but disagree... misery desires company.

It’s as though our whole physical dimension is fraught with separation/gaps/resistance, but is gradually being transformed from the higher integration/harmony of another dimension. The emergence of the prefrontal lobe of the brain seems to be one of the “landmarks” of an evolutionary process towards wholeness and an eventual triumph over brokenness.
Interesting that last night, in my dreams, an instructor was helping me learn more about my energy body or spirit. Astral projection exercises were provided. Images of interfacing with my physical body was in the dream. At one point a mirror was used to show the difference between my energy body’s movement and the physical body, with the energy arms moving first, similar to Stephen Covey’s concept of “first creation” (thought preceding action). I suppose the “night school” session could also be interpreted as attempts to achieve lucid dreaming, an integration of dream mind and waking mind.
As an aside, I was able to partner with my wife to astrally project way up into a blue sky where a beautiful lightning bolt gave us a sense of ineffable beauty. Perhaps it was a birthday gift. My birthday was in the day part of the same 24 hour period. The dream session was in the early part of night, so probably within the 24 hour “day” of my birthday (69th).
Thanks for your positive idea that might be like a self-fulfilling prophecy that helps make the integration and harmony and peace and love so.
Love,
Otherbrother (Darrell Moneyhon)

Wil, Your discussion here brought me back to a post I made this past Spring about “God and Good”. Here’s an excerpt:

Today, my spiritual processing led me back to an earlier insight I had: "There's more God in Good than there is good in "God."
The "God function" that I mentioned might just be our mutual sense of what is good. Theists and Atheist alike would agree that when my four year old granddaughter was terrified while undergoing a medical procedure and I held her little hand to comfort and support her, THAT was good. The theist would say a godly behavior. The atheist would stop at simply good.

But at base, the theist wants "good" from his or her "God." So the sensed (or merely imagined) deity is really just a means for actualizing potential goodness.

Perhaps the deity is just an unnecessary middle man. If we go directly for "good" then perhaps it becomes a positive self fulfilling prophecy that somehow or another manages to make it happen.

We could trust in "human potential." And perhaps quite a few theists would be okay with that, as long as they could claim that "God" created that potential.

Steven Pinker has said as much

He is data driven and makes things sound hopeful.

It was not received without criticism, some of which is discussed here

I personally think that optimism and pessimism both create self fulfilling prophecies. Doom and gloom leads to despair, optimism leads to hope, and people respond accordingly. That's not the whole story, but it's part of it.

I personally think that optimism and pessimism both create self fulfilling prophecies. Doom and gloom leads to despair, optimism leads to hope, and people respond accordingly. That's not the whole story, but it's part of it.
With what we know of confirmation bias and observation it is dare I say logical?

If we know this we know to move on from the doldrums as fast as possible and look on the bright side of life!

Thx for being you!

Today, my spiritual processing led me back to an earlier insight I had: "There's more God in Good than there is good in "God."
Of course, from another pov, God and the Good are synonymous.

Theists and Atheist alike would agree that when my four year old granddaughter was terrified while undergoing a medical procedure and I held her little hand to comfort and support her, THAT was good. The theist would say a godly behavior.
I'm not sure the theist necessarily would, or that they would be correct in so saying. More accurate, from the theist, is where good is done, God can be said to be present ...

But at base, the theist wants "good" from his or her "God." So the sensed (or merely imagined) deity is really just a means for actualizing potential goodness.
At a simple level, maybe, and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

It's no basis for a thorough critique of theism, however, as theism has a lot more sophisticated reasoning than that.

Perhaps the deity is just an unnecessary middle man. If we go directly for "good" then perhaps it becomes a positive self fulfilling prophecy that somehow or another manages to make it happen.
Well the relation between 'God' and 'the Good' is complex ...

+++

In Plato, God is transcendent, and arguably, the Good more transcendent still – for Plato, at the apex stands the highest and most perfect being – and one who uses eternal forms, or archetypes, to fashion a universe that is eternal and uncreated. The Good and God are thus synonymous, and one can say 'God' is the highest form of Good, as the gods can themselves express forms or archetypes.

God might be said to be the face of the Good.

By virtue of God/Good, the Cosmos has order and purpose and meaning, but is itself limited and contingent by its imperfections inherent in the material domain – at an extreme view, creation is 'a necessary evil' to catch and arrest the fall of the (eternal) soul from the contemplation of God/Good.

(For the Gnostics, matter is essentially evil, a place of punishment, for the necessary purpose of correcting the soul, whose purpose is to escape the body at its earliest possible opportunity.

For a sort-of-Origen, the world is a place of pedagogy, of learning, rather than punishment.)

+++

Aristotle saw that all things seek divine perfection – they seek their End in their Origin – in God.

From contingent things we come to know universals, whereas God knows universals prior to their existence in contingent things.

God, the highest being, dwells in the perfect contemplation of the most worthy object – Himself. He cares nothing for the world – being an Unmoved Mover, He is not moved by it.

+++

For Plotinus (and Neoplatonism generally) the universe is the inevitable overflow – emanation – of divinity, of Divine Plenitude; God creates because He can, there is nothing to stop Him, but there is nothing that requires him to do so either – so creation whilst one might argue that God must create because it is in His nature to do so, nevertheless this particular creation – as opposed to any other (and perhaps alongside of an infinite number of other creations) – is an entirely free and gratuitous act.

In that overflow, the universe comes out of God in a timeless process. It does not come by creation because that would entail consciousness and will, which Plotinus claimed would limit God. The first emanation out of God (nous Gk: 'mind') is the highest, successive emanations being less and less real. Finally, evil is matter with no form at all, and as such has no positive existence.

God is an impersonal 'It' who can be described only in terms of what he is not. This negative way of describing God (Gk apokatastasis or Latin via negativa) is a more intellectually rigorous method.

+++

Christian philosophers such as Justin Martyr (c. 100-c. 165) believed that God was a reasonable and rational being, therefore the language of reason and rationality was not alien to God. Thus they saw Christian Revelation as transcending but nevertheless compatible with the highest and best Greek thought.

Scripture asserts, in essence, the same God as the God of Plato, of Aristotle, of Zeno of Citium – God as Perfect Being – with certain distinctions.

Whereas Aristotle concluded that the greatest being must be aware only of himself, Augustine emphasised a God who not only loves his creation and his creature, but that God is the ground of all being.

Origen saw God as eternally creating; not God as a one-time actor, but as a dynamic continuum, a verb, rather than a noun.

St Maximus the Confessor reversed the rather negative Platonic triad of the original and eternal and timeless state of souls in the rest (Gk: stasis) of the contemplation of God, becoming satiated and turning/falling away (movement: Gk: kinesis) and the necessary creation of matter to catch the falling soul into fleshly becoming (Gk: Genesis), turning it on its head top become [i[Genesis - kinesis - stasis[/i] – all created nature emerges from nothing, by the will of God, and journeys inexorably, albeit (often tragically) erratically, towards its end, which is God, and its final rest, the 'peace that surpasseth all understanding' – a much more optimistic and positive outlook!

Johannes Scotus Erigena saw God creating the universe according to eternal patterns in his mind and it is an expression of his thought (the Good), however incomplete an expression the cosmos may be.

Erigena’s (disputed) pantheistic tendencies can be seen in his notion that “God is in all things.” Creation is not in time but is eternal. In the process God used universals and made them particulars (e.g., humanity became individual persons).

Immortality is the reverse process of particulars going back to universals. In Erigena’s terms, division is the process of differentiating universals into particulars; analysis is the reverse, a return to unity and thus to God. These are not mere mental activities but mirror reality and God’s relationship to the world. God is ultimately unknowable, being beyond all language and categories – including the Good.

Meister Eckhart spoke of this ascent of the soul into such a union with the divine that all distinction between the soul and its creator ceases to exist ... and he was not alone in that, St Bonaventure, 40 years prior, was a contemporary of St Thomas Aquinas (they both taught at the same time in Paris – imagine that!) and spoke in much the same terms of a mystical assent.

Aristotle’s predications cannot apply to God because they assume some type of substance.

God can be described, albeit inadequately, using both affirmative and negative statements. Positive statements are only approximate but can be balanced by negative statements. For example, it can be said that God is good (positive), but also that he is not good (negative) in that he is above goodness. These can be combined in the statement that he is “supergood.” In spite of these approximations, God must be reached by mystical experience.

There is a view in the Traditional that there is a direct correlation between Creation and Incarnation.

We could trust in "human potential." And perhaps quite a few theists would be okay with that, as long as they could claim that "God" created that potential.
We could, but that wouldn't get us very far![/u]

Last edited:
I do apologise for the extended underlining on the above – an oversight, now fixed ...

What do you mean by good?

Is it not merely the stuff we want to happen, in opposition to what we don't want to happen... called bad?

For me the basic conflict inherent in upholding such a preference ensures peace is impossible.

What do you mean by good?

Is it not merely the stuff we want to happen, in opposition to what we don't want to happen... called bad?

For me the basic conflict inherent in upholding such a preference ensures peace is impossible.
Hi .. welcome to the forum. :)

We have all been given a conscience .. and we are responsible for what we do with it.

As such, if there is any progress towards peace it is in increasing tolerance.

This is inherently antagonistic to most traditional definitions of good.

For me ideals and peace cannot coexist, a pragmatism must be established such as freedom without harm to others.

You must choose peace over good to have the most good outcome.

Much evil is committed by insistence on particular definitions of good.

Who can be at peace with evil?

Only a psychopath.

Hi .. welcome to the forum. :)

We have all been given a conscience .. and we are responsible for what we do with it.

Is that conscience independent or influenced?

It seems to me that an infant is utterly selfish, they don't care at all what is going on with you... all they care about is their own suffering ending.

Most never seem to get past this basic structure of gratification, but some notice the internal conditions of happiness and try establishing them independent of circumstance...

The successful ones are called sages.

My previous posts seem contradictory, but most traditions have a more precise insistence on behavior.

That is contrary, but interference with the natural expression of another is also evil.

You are suggesting you know better than nature.

That is evil.

It is also a basis for tolerance.

Now it is not contradictory.

An animal that grows up with another species treats it like kin.

Yet it still has to eat.

As an adult everything new is a threat or food.

@DaoYin

I realize I ride your prose like a skier hitting moguls.

When in tune it is like an Olympic highlight reel.

When it isn't it is like the blooper reel and I have to read the same over again...and again...and again.

Welcome again

Steven Pinker has said as much

He is data driven and makes things sound hopeful.

It was not received without criticism, some of which is discussed here

I definitely agree with your positive self-fulfilling notion

Back