5 reasons clowning is on the rise:

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1) despite being around other people a lot, we are feeling increasingly isolated. Clowning brings us into a state of deep connection with the human and non-human all around.

2) we are aware much communication in the world is based on lies, generalizations and exaggerations. Clowning demands we confront and speak the truth, however painful.

3) our lives our governed by shame, anxiety and fear that we don't understand. Clowning allows us to bring lightness and playfulness to our darkest flaws and fears.

4) mainstream culture is telling us our creative desires are unimportant, strange or even wrong. Clowning gives us direct access to our deepest creative selves and to honor who we are.

5) we seek meaning and find it lacking in most walks of life. Clowning reminds us of the beauty of the present moment, of our own ridiculousness, and that we all have a responsibility to create the world we want to live in.
~Barnaby King

So many clowns I recall, Red Skelton, Dick Van Dyke, Marx Bros, 3 stooges, Chaplin, Keaton...the ones without red noses were often my favorites.

The clowns and comedians often delved into important subjects, to make the audience think.

1) despite being around other people a lot, we are feeling increasingly isolated. Clowning brings us into a state of deep connection with the human and non-human all around.

2) we are aware much communication in the world is based on lies, generalizations and exaggerations. Clowning demands we confront and speak the truth, however painful.

3) our lives our governed by shame, anxiety and fear that we don't understand. Clowning allows us to bring lightness and playfulness to our darkest flaws and fears.

4) mainstream culture is telling us our creative desires are unimportant, strange or even wrong. Clowning gives us direct access to our deepest creative selves and to honor who we are.

5) we seek meaning and find it lacking in most walks of life. Clowning reminds us of the beauty of the present moment, of our own ridiculousness, and that we all have a responsibility to create the world we want to live in.
~Barnaby King

So many clowns I recall, Red Skelton, Dick Van Dyke, Marx Bros, 3 stooges, Chaplin, Keaton...the ones without red noses were often my favorites.

The clowns and comedians often delved into important subjects, to make the audience think.
Who can forget the late Stan Laurel of Laurel and Hardy fame?

I'm not sure if Robin Williams could've been considered a clown, but I'll leave the decision to you.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Who can forget the late Stan Laurel of Laurel and Hardy fame?

I'm not sure if Robin Williams could've been considered a clown, but I'll leave the decision to you.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
Yes there is a long list, Stan n laurel, abbot and Costello, and then if you go to circus and stage there is a other whole heed of greats.... definitely Mork...when he was selected to play Patch Adam's that was a tremendous accolade for Patch's work as a clown.

I was more of a birthday party clown, did parades, corporate events, company picnics, a few halftime shows... when it came to the professional clowns I have a lot of great friends, but really not a peer, more of a wannabee, lol (sorto like here, tolerated by some, others wanna know why he is here)

Digital pics detiorate, much like me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240816_150744_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240816_150744_Facebook.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 35
Yes there is a long list, Stan n laurel, abbot and Costello, and then if you go to circus and stage there is a other whole heed of greats.... definitely Mork...when he was selected to play Patch Adam's that was a tremendous accolade for Patch's work as a clown.

I was more of a birthday party clown, did parades, corporate events, company picnics, a few halftime shows... when it came to the professional clowns I have a lot of great friends, but really not a peer, more of a wannabee, lol (sorto like here, tolerated by some, others wanna know why he is here)

Digital pics detiorate, much like me.
The Clown Museum used to be in Milwaukee (I believe that the HQ is still in Wisconsin, but don't quote me.)

Too bad we don't have a way to get there because it's a place to visit (as long as one doesn't have panic attacks with/around clowns.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Benny rocked, he and Monty Python were staples of my youth.

Phyllis the intl clown hall of fame, Baraboo wisconsin...there is also stuff down in Florida, Sarasota and placid where old circus performers retire...near where Ringlings old clown college was... I have many friends who are graduates, some went on to perform on one or the RBBB circus others who went on the road with various other circuses...the ringling grabbed the cream of the crop but graduation Performances were viewed by various circuses.

Ooh ... Benny Hill, Monty Python.

Along with the former were Arthur Haynes, Freddie Frinton, Norman Wisdom ...

And before Monty Python was 'At Last The 1948 Show', although before that, on the radio, was 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again'.

... Oh, you've started me off now ...

I just thought of Emmett Kelly, who performed with RBBB Circus (he was performing when the tent caught fire iirc...) I'm not sure if his son followed in his footsteps, but I could be mistaken...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

How about Victor Borga?
Yep.

Phil Silvers...
Bilko was here.

Milton Berle...
Not on my radar.

Would love to hear British radio comedy from 50s n before...

There's a load of links here, but I can't vouch for all of them. However ...

No 4: The Goons –

The Goon Show! Series 4 [E01, 13, 23, 24 Incl. Chapters] 1953/54 [Best Available Quality]

No 5:

Hancock's Half Hour! (Radio) - Series 2 [Surviving Episodes Incl Chapters] 1955 [High Quality]
Another classic.

Beyond Our Ken! Series 1.1 [E01 - 5 Incl. Chapters] 1958 [High Quality]

~Barnaby King

Because wise and good is fast on decay, good Wil. Don't one joins this trail!

... Any beings who are not devoid of passion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of passion, focus with even more passion on things inspiring passion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Any beings who are not devoid of aversion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of aversion, focus with even more aversion on things inspiring aversion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Any beings who are not devoid of delusion to begin with, who are bound by the bond of delusion, focus with even more delusion on things inspiring delusion presented by an actor on stage in the midst of a festival. Thus the actor — himself intoxicated & heedless, having made others intoxicated & heedless — with the breakup of the body, after death, is reborn in what is called the hell of laughter. But if he holds such a view as this: 'When an actor on the stage, in the midst of a festival, makes people laugh & gives them delight with his imitation of reality, then with the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn in the company of the laughing devas,' that is his wrong view. Now, there are two destinations for a person with wrong view, I tell you: either hell or the animal womb.”...
To Talaputa the Actor (clown).

Back