Science and Religion

It seems that we almost always take a view that science is against religion, execpt when science is helping us, as in the case of healthcare. I am not really sure where this idea comes from. What if as we grow as a species we are allowed to have more responsibilities (in the from of science)? This is the way that we raise our own children. There seems to be the thought that through our own intellects that we are figuring out all things that science has taught us. What if as our species grows, God just gives us more knowledge when He thinks that we can handle it?

There is also the thought that evil is responsible for science, in the hopes of widening the gap of disunity with humans and God. This is an embedded theme in Tolkiens trilogy, and also wonderfully portrayed in the movie Time Bandits.

When I was in college, I had to make a choice between a degree in religious studies, and the animal behavior field in biology. What I wound up with was a degree in religious studies with a minor in biology, and I actually think that two go nicely together. What I find funny is that everyone uses Darwin to go against creation. I do not see creation and evolution as foes but rather as partners in Gods grand design. The idea of the strong living while the old and the weak die off, works well a time to live and a time to die that we find in the Psalms. Where we see this idea fail is with humans and our scientific developments that can keep folks alive longer. What if our achievements in the healthcare fields is God allowing us to have more responsibility as a species and also a bit of a joke on all those who pit creation and evolution against one another?

the janitor

Back