Jesus Christ

The voting system makes sense to me as the same debate has gone on for centuries.

So you take a phrase that is attributed to in the bible, and after extensive discussion and research you vote...and if I remember correctly they determine the following...

It is likely Jesus said this.
It is not likely he said it, but it is something he might of said, it is in the essence of his teachings
He may have said this.
He didn't say this.

And so in the 5 gospels the 'red' letters, turned Red, Pink, Grey, and Bold Black, all with commentary...it is a valuable read.

Ruby, Luna, AR, Wil,

Thanks so much for your responses and clarifications. I knew we'd all meet in the middle of understanding in the end.

Oh, sometimes I wonder if I really did all of that stuff in a past life, or was I somehow thrust into in an alternative virtual reality by higher powers to test me ? Hmmmm...I'll have to do some more meditation on that.

flow....;)

wil said:
It is likely Jesus said this.
It is not likely he said it, but it is something he might of said, it is in the essence of his teachings
He may have said this.
He didn't say this.

Thanks for this imput, Wil. This makes sense because it is based on opinion or likihood, neither of which are absolutes. Not on black and white fact which is absolute. You simply can't vote away--or into existence--concrete historical fact.

And thanks, sorry I forget who said what, for explaining the difference between fundamentalist literalists and liberal literalists. My brain just drew a blank on that one, which I don't fully understand, given the time and energy I have put into the study of fundamentalist view of the Bible.

Flow, I'm glad we came to an understanding. *Shake*

Postmaster said:
First off there is absolutely no reason to believe this man didn't exist, he was documented by all sorts of people excluding the bible.

Actually, there is so much reason to believe he never existed that many people do. This includes some Christians.

I suppose the ultimate question is how much of biblical Jesus compares to historical Jesus? Is there such differences?

If art is any indication, then there are major irreconcilable differences. See the thread "What Jesus looked like" http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/christianity.html.

Compare that with the blond, blue-eyed, fair-skinned Jesus many of us grew up with. The blond guy is the Jesus of Western Christian religion while the dark-skinned one is most likely the Jesus of history.

[QUOTE
Flow, I'm glad we came to an understanding. *Shake*[/QUOTE]

*Shake* Isn't it strange just how much people can talk/write past each other and not even understand how it happened ? Just another of those mysteries of life I guess.

flow....:)

Jeannot said:
Thanks, Wil. From one heretic to another.

Ya aren't heretics...you're thinkers...:D

ya know, be alert! The world needs more "lerts"

v/r

Q

I said:
To us in the modern day, a lot of what Jesus is held to have done may seem remarkable - but in the ancient world a lot of it would be routine. People rising from the dead and the sick being healed would be - so far as I understand it - as routine to ancient peoples, as modern medicine is to us moderns.
Dear I, Brian,

What's really remarkable and unique about Jesus... wasn't so much the miracles He performed, but the fullfilled Old Testament prophesies concerning the coming Messiah! Without question, Jesus is the only one in history we can confidently say now, "Is the Christ, the Son of the Living God."

Jeannot said:
JESUS

My basic position is that "Jesus" – or someone very like him – existed. But his name was not Jesus Christ. This name came later after a lot of politicization. His name was Joshua (or Jeshua) Bar Jusif (Joshua, son of Joseph).

Dear Jeannot,

Then can I assume by this statement that you do not believe the bible to be inspired by God?

"All Scripture is given by inspiration by God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproff, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."

2 Timothy 3:6

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Jeannot,

Then can I assume by this statement that you do not believe the bible to be inspired by God?

"All Scripture is given by inspiration by God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproff, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."

2 Timothy 3:6

What "Scripture" is this referring to?

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Abogado del Diablo,

The Bible. Eyewitnesses of Jesus in the New Testament.

JBF

How do you know that? Does the author state what would be on the list of "Scripture" being referred to? When was that written? What was in "the Bible" when the epistle was written?

Abogado del Diablo said:
JBF

How do you know that? Does the author state what would be on the list of "Scripture" being referred to? When was that written? What was in "the Bible" when the epistle was written?
Dear Abogado del Diablo,

I had a hunch that was where you were going with the opening question.:rolleyes:

It appears you may have "other books" you feel are divine? Could you share the names of those books or writtings to me?

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Abogado del Diablo,

I had a hunch that was where you were going with the opening question.:rolleyes:

It appears you may have "other books" you feel are divine? Could you share the names of those books or writtings to me?

Nothing "divine" in the sense I think you mean.

Whether you believe every book of the Bible is the inspired word of God is entirely your prerogative. I've just never understood why this particular passage is cited whenever someone makes such a claim. It seems like such a non sequitor given that we don't know what the author was referring to as "Scripture", given the New Testament was still being written (including, indeed, this very epistle) it always seemed far more reasonable to assume he was talking about Jewish "Scripture."

I'm not pushing some other "scripture" here. Just curious what this passage has to do with somehow supporting the divine inspiration of the books of the N.T.That's all.

Abogado del Diablo said:
Nothing "divine" in the sense I think you mean.

Whether you believe every book of the Bible is the inspired word of God is entirely your prerogative. I've just never understood why this particular passage is cited whenever someone makes such a claim. It seems like such a non sequitor given that we don't know what the author was referring to as "Scripture", given the New Testament was still being written (including, indeed, this very epistle) it always seemed far more reasonable to assume he was talking about Jewish "Scripture."

I'm not pushing some other "scripture" here. Just curious what this passage has to do with somehow supporting the divine inspiration of the books of the N.T.That's all.

Dear Abogado del Diablo,

I would say "Jewish Scripture" (Old Testament) would be the best answer.

>I thought you might be a "Stealth" Jehovah Witness or maybe "Mormon" and I wanted to pull your cover...:D

Thanks for the clarification.:)

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Abogado del Diablo,

>I thought you might be a "Stealth" Jehovah Witness or maybe "Mormon" and I wanted to pull your cover...:D

JBF:

Thanks. Oh, and I forgot my manners . . .

Welcome to the forum!

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Abogado del Diablo,

sorry i cant help myself LOL ,a true JW lets their light shine,
(Mark 4:21) And he went on to say to them: "A lamp is not brought to be put under a measuring basket or under a bed, is it? It is brought to be put upon a lampstand, is it not?
(Luke 11:33) After lighting a lamp, a person puts it, not in a vault nor under a measuring basket, but upon the lampstand, that those stepping in may behold the light.
(Ephesians 5:9) for the fruitage of the light consists of every sort of goodness and righteousness and truth.................a true JW would let their light shine with lots of bible truths about the established heavenly kingdom Daniel 2;44

mee said:
sorry i cant help myself LOL ,a true JW lets their light shine,
(Mark 4:21) And he went on to say to them: "A lamp is not brought to be put under a measuring basket or under a bed, is it? It is brought to be put upon a lampstand, is it not?
(Luke 11:33) After lighting a lamp, a person puts it, not in a vault nor under a measuring basket, but upon the lampstand, that those stepping in may behold the light.
(Ephesians 5:9) for the fruitage of the light consists of every sort of goodness and righteousness and truth.................a true JW would let their light shine with lots of bible truths about the established heavenly kingdom Daniel 2;44

Hi mee,

A pleasure to be introduced to you by you...:D

Back