Is your faith or belief in Cristianity based upon a belief in the bible or some other

ambassador

Reaction score
Through my discussions I have found more and more people using quotes for the bible to support their beliefs, yet when I go back and research it for my self I find that they are often taken out of context. I comepare this with anything we read or hear. We often catch things in the midle with out hearing or reading the whole explanation. So I ask does anyone believe the Bible?

When I say believe in the bible, I mean do you accept what is written to be true.

ambassador said:
When I say believe in the bible, I mean do you accept what is written to be true.
Do I understand that the question is: Is everything written in the Bible the inerrant word of God?

If so, then no I do not. What I do believe is that the Bible contains much wisdom and mystic knowledge that can point us in the direction we need to travel in. However, cultural and historic contexts abound in the many books of the Bible and I read it accordingly.

Ambassador,

I beleive that the Bible is God's true words. The 66 books were penned by 40 different guys, and took thousands of years to complete. Today we find that it is written from our time domine, and that EVERY word in the book was placed their by divine engineering. We also find that the OT is the NT consealed, and the NT is the OT revealed. It is an awesome book that stands the test of time. Just the mere fact that the Bible has the ability to change lives, and its 100% prophecy rate (which is boast about), proves it to be authored by the Almight. That said, judging by your name, Im going to assume that you beleive this to. Am I right?

Conscience said:
Ambassador,

I beleive that the Bible is God's true words. The 66 books were penned by 40 different guys, and took thousands of years to complete. Today we find that it is written from our time domine, and that EVERY word in the book was placed their by divine engineering. We also find that the OT is the NT consealed, and the NT is the OT revealed. It is an awesome book that stands the test of time. Just the mere fact that the Bible has the ability to change lives, and its 100% prophecy rate (which is boast about), proves it to be authored by the Almight.
Amen. I believe it is Gods true words & my faith is built upon it, Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone & has proven to be truth in my life. I also feel there are other wiritngs that have good intent to support & try to expound, bringing things together.

There are also writings with intent that attempt to dismantle & prove it wrong.

These things can be done either way by taking scriptures out of context or leaving scriptures out.
I believe we need it all.

Conscience said:
I beleive that the Bible is God's true words. The 66 books were penned by 40 different guys, and took thousands of years to complete. Today we find that it is written from our time domine, and that EVERY word in the book was placed their by divine engineering. We also find that the OT is the NT consealed, and the NT is the OT revealed. It is an awesome book that stands the test of time. Just the mere fact that the Bible has the ability to change lives, and its 100% prophecy rate (which is boast about), proves it to be authored by the Almight.

Yes, Yes, Yes. God inspired - lest it could not be the world's best selling book, regardless of translation. And though the Bible is most worthy of being the guideline and rule book to dealing with matters of the spirit and mankind, there is danger when we do anything in extreme. God's inspiration gives us a sound mind.

truthseeker said:
Yes, Yes, Yes. God inspired - lest it could not be the world's best selling book, regardless of translation. And though the Bible is most worthy of being the guideline and rule book to dealing with matters of the spirit and mankind, there is danger when we do anything in extreme. God's inspiration gives us a sound mind.

Be careful here Truthseeker, your devotion is admirable, but your logic is faulty. Look up Argumentum ad numerum. To argue that the Bible is God inspired because so many read it would normally be considered a lapse in logic known as a fallacy. Now, understand I do not dispute or try to undermine this belief, as it is the keystone to many Christian practices, but as an apologetic the argument wouldn't work. I often wonder if an approach to belief in the inerrancy of the Bible would necessarily take a more trancendant tack, since empirical evidence is so hard to produce.

I'm with Paladin, but I bet you could guess that just looking at my posts. ;)

I do not have faith in Chrisitanity. I have faith in God. My faith stems from my personal relationship with God, which was encouraged in me since birth. I was raised with the understanding that God is always available to us, always waiting for us to turn toward Him. And the instant we do, we are changed. Consistently communing with God and keeping our eyes firmly fixed on Him yields an ever more constant and stable faith.

So, no, my faith is not based on the Bible. If I was illiterate or the Bible was no longer available, my faith would continue and God would still hear my prayers. If there was no organized Christian religion, my faith would continue. The Bible is, in my path, a book that I believe was inspired by God (not inerrant, and certainly not without change through translation and context), and I read scriptures and bring them to God in prayer so as to have another dimension to my faith, a greater insight into God.

i am not so sure about this path of one. I know a wonderful lady over 70 years old in our church who cannot read. but she knows the scriptures inside & out.

Truthseeker, I think you are right with a good point. it is the best selling book & all for a good reason. It is my favorite all time book.

Paladin, that will also depend on wether one is trying to understand & live a good life by faith & what it is trying to say, or if they are reading just from a scholarly & historical perspective. Then you have those who claim it to be myth & all metaphor. So, anyone can pretty much say whatever they want to say about it.

When someone tries to remove the bible or parts of the bible, then you have someone who is trying to remove someones faith. & it works the same way if someone tries to force people to believe in the bible, to give up what they believe.

Bandit said:
When someone tries to remove the bible or parts of the bible, then you have someone who is trying to remove someones faith. & it works the same way if someone tries to force people to believe in the bible, to give up what they believe.
I agree. But having a difference of opinion or belief doesn't, by itself, equate with taking away someone's faith or "forcing people to believe." There are some nasty tactics that can and are used to attack people that serve that purpose.

I live by the Truth of Christianity, but by no means consider the Christian symbols and story to be the only expression of that Truth. I find much of the Bible rich in spiritual and philosophical insight and I frequently read it and meditate upon its meaning for me and experience glimpses of the Love of God. However, the books were written by people. They were also chosen by people to be included in the final volume. The are people's attempts to express the inexpressible. As are the sacred and great works of other cultures and other disciplines. I know God's voice well enough to perceive God's Truth. That is what matters to me.

Abogado del Diablo said:
I agree. But having a difference of opinion or belief doesn't, by itself, equate with taking away someone's faith or "forcing people to believe." There are some nasty tactics that can and are used to attack people that serve that purpose.

I live by the Truth of Christianity, but by no means consider the Christian symbols and story to be the only expression of that Truth. I find much of the Bible rich in spiritual and philosophical insight and I frequently read it and meditate upon its meaning for me and experience glimpses of the Love of God. However, the books were written by people. They were also chosen by people to be included in the final volume. The are people's attempts to express the inexpressible. As are the sacred and great works of other cultures and other disciplines. I know God's voice well enough to perceive God's Truth. That is what matters to me.
right, it is often just a difference of opinion. there are some nasty tactics & motives. but i think what you say is a good way to see it too. it still lets everyone keep there beliefs. very nice.

Bandit said:
right, it is often just a difference of opinion. there are some nasty tactics & motives. but i think what you say is a good way to see it too. it still lets everyone keep there beliefs. very nice.
What is written on the hearts of every man is the same...yet we tend to ignore that as well...

oh my! :eek:

v/r

Q

No I don't believe the modern Bible is the inerrant word of God. At least not divine revelation material. Inspired yes I think all the writers were inspired by their understanding of God, and I'll give my respect for each and every one of them. But I also believe most of the NT was altered from earlier writings to support a Judeo-Christian doctrine. I believe in a purely Christian doctrine with no connection to Judaism. I believe God the Father is higher than Jehovah and was previously unknown until Christ came and revealed Him for the first time. To me Jehovah is the Satan of the NT, and his religions are ritualistic, rigid, and imperfect, and therefore could not come from the pure message of Christ's love.

The contrasting gods speak for themselves imo

CHRIST - For an evil tree bringeth forth not good fruit; neither does a good tree bring forth evil fruit. For every tree is known by his own fruit. ~ Luke 6:43,44
JEHOVAH - I am the Lord, and there is none else; I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil...
Isaiah 45:6,7

Marcion said:
No I don't believe the modern Bible is the inerrant word of God. At least not divine revelation material. Inspired yes I think all the writers were inspired by their understanding of God, and I'll give my respect for each and every one of them. But I also believe most of the NT was altered from earlier writings to support a Judeo-Christian doctrine. I believe in a purely Christian doctrine with no connection to Judaism. I believe God the Father is higher than Jehovah and was previously unknown until Christ came and revealed Him for the first time. To me Jehovah is the Satan of the NT, and his religions are ritualistic, rigid, and imperfect, and therefore could not come from the pure message of Christ's love.

CHRIST - For an evil tree bringeth forth not good fruit; neither does a good tree bring forth evil fruit. For every tree is known by his own fruit. ~ Luke 6:43,44
JEHOVAH - I am the Lord, and there is none else; I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil...
regarding Isaiah 45; 6,7. Jehovah is a rightous God and a savior. i think this scripture is a stumbling block to some because of translation errors .i like the way some translations get back to the original meanings such as this
in order that people may know from the rising of the sun and from its setting that there is none besides me. I am Jehovah, and there is no one else. Forming light and creating darkness, making peace and creating calamity, I, Jehovah, am doing all these things(isaiah 45;6,7.)

JEHOVAH’S promises are reliable. He is the God of revelation and the God of creation. Time and again he has proved to be a righteous God and a Savior of people of all nations. These are some of the heartwarming assurances found in Isaiah chapter 45.​

In addition, Isaiah chapter 45 contains a remarkable example of Jehovah’s prophetic ability. God’s spirit enables Isaiah to gaze upon distant countries and to survey events in centuries to come, and it moves him to describe an episode that only Jehovah, the God of true prophecy, could foretell with such accuracy.

Everything in creation—from light to darkness—and everything in history—from peace to calamity—is subject to Jehovah’s control. Just as he creates the light of day and the darkness of night, so he will make peace for Israel and calamity for Babylon Jehovah has the power to create the universe, and he also has the power to fulfill his prophecies. That is reassuring to Christians today, who closely study his prophetic word.so just as jehovah made peace for his people back then so he will do again​

Because Jehovah’s promises are reliable, as the prophetic words found in Isaiah chapter 45 so clearly show. Just as Jehovah had the power and wisdom to create the heavens and the earth, so he has the power and wisdom to cause his prophecies to come true. And just as he saw to it that the prophecy concerning Cyrus came true, so he will fulfill any other Bible prophecy that still awaits fulfillment. Worshipers of Jehovah, therefore, can be confident that soon Jehovah will again prove to be "a righteous God and a Savior.so there is no conflict between jehovah and jesus because jesus is the one Jehovah is using to accomplish his purpose

Marcion said:

I presume from what is written above that yours is a Gnostic perspective? ;)

v/r

Q

No Quahom that is not a Gnostic interpretation, it's a Dualist one. We're a separate religion apart from both Gnosticism and Christianity, and have our own sacred scriptures and beliefs apart from the Bible :)

Marcion said:
No Quahom that is not a Gnostic interpretation, it's a Dualist one. We're a separate religion apart from both Gnosticism and Christianity, and have our own sacred scriptures and beliefs apart from the Bible :)

I stand corrected ;)

v/r

Q

Last edited:
The Spirit interprets the bible for us.. He also can use any means necessary to get the truth out to us.. There have always been beautiful Spirit-filled Christians who cannot read a word that somehow got the truth.. Not to very long ago..education was limited to the wealthy and people could not read.

I choose not to limit God to one version of the bible.. Who am I to limit God in any way?

Back