Special Needs Children

lunamoth said:
As an aside, my friend told me there's sort of a joke among autism parents: so, who is the computer programmer in your family? (have you heard that anecdote?).

peace,
lunamoth
No. I haven't heard that one.

BTW, my sister and her husband took over care of two Mexican/Indian children after their grandmother died. My sister was caring both for the grandmother and the children, who she knew from her church. The father of the two boys was in prison and the mother had committed suicide. After their grandmother died, they stayed in the care of my sister and her husband. The boys were 2 and 4 at the time. They are now 17 and 15 and doing pretty well. But they both have serious attachment-related disorders and it's been a long road for them.

Im going to take a leap here.. have you considered home schooling when he is old enough? I do not personally see much that is positive in our schools.. too many beautiful children slip through the cracks that have special needs. Texas is one of the best states to home school in because laws were passed that allow home schools to be considered private schools with all the rights afforded them without having the governments interference. This state also has wonderful resources including support systems.. I just recently moved to Texas from WA state and being a mother of 2 children I researched the schools and what I found caused me great dismay.. The schools here are behind the schools my daughter attended in WA.. they force a dress code on the children and enforce it to such an extreme that children are academically disciplined if they do not have their shirts tucked in...

I however do not know how their special needs programs are but my sister in law has several dyslexic children that she was watching slip through the cracks.. they told her that her son would graduate with a 2nd grade reading level.. she made the choice to homeschool and he's far surpassed their expectations of him.

I had read an article awhile ago about a stressful situation during pregnancy could be linked to autism... I did a search and I found a couple interesting sites..

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/preterm.htm

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1894.html

Good luck with your baby boy.. I have a 2 1/2 yo son also and he has a congenital defect in his right eye making him legally blind.

Abogado del Diablo said:
It's rough. It's funny how I always thought I had no paternal instincts too. They really kicked in after our daughter was born. I was amazed how much was "hard coded" in. :) But even more amazed how much there was to learn.:eek:

It is difficult right now because his progress is so slow. But he's a great little kid. We are working on trying different things. It could be a really long process though.

I can't cope with kids must be even harder when they are special needs kid as well.

Here's a picture of my son with his sister:

10004415xg.jpg

Beautiful children, Abogado. :) Special indeed!

If I could figure out how to paste a picture into these posts I'd put one up of my girls.

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Beautiful children, Abogado. :) Special indeed!

If I could figure out how to paste a picture into these posts I'd put one up of my girls.

lunamoth
Thanks. I agree. They are beautiful. :)

Posting pictures: You have to put the picture up on the web and link to it.

Go to www.imageshack.us You can host the picture there for free (like the one above). It will give you a URL once you upload it. When you compose a message here at C-R click the "Insert Image" button (the one with the little mountains) and it will prompt you for the URL that imageshack gave you. Oila!

Abogado del Diablo said:
Is anyone a parent or guardian to a special needs child. Our beautiful little boy is autistic. I'm interested in hearing others' experiences in dealing with how children with disabilities are treated.
I'm sure this would be the last place you'd expect children with special needs to be cared for ad infinitum, but believe it or not, the US military is top hat in the care it provides for members with family members who have special needs.

Often military members volunteer to assist (on their own time) as well.

I'm not talking "Toys for Tots" the Marines sponsor and run during Christmas either (though I do not make light of that by any means).

The medical programs available to members and their special needs family members are one part of the service that I am extremely pleased to observe working beautifully.

Not only does it deal with the family members, but the military person as well.

I have made use of these programs in helping my charge (nephew), with a severe case of ADHD. It revealed troubles I was struggling against as well, which is important in dealing with another with disabilities.

I also have read about the Sears Corporation and their programs to assist their employees (above and beyond insurance coverage), as being very good.

BTW You do have some beautiful children. ;)

v/r

Q

May Love surround you and your family, Abogado. My grandson will be eleven this summer. He is the eldest of three children and his mother (my daughter) is 28 and finds herself raising them all on her own. He is intelligent and loving, but extreme ADHD has had such an effect on his life and the way people react to him. No one can seem to find the right medicines for him, and recently he spent time in a diagnostic facility because the doctors strongly believed he was bi-polar. Ultimately, they decided he was not, but his behavior still seems to indicate it. So his mother is looking into the situation further. It has been a struggle for my grandson, his mother, and his siblings for years.

Yes, he is treated differently at school, but he still has friends, and caring educators (not always, but often.) Sometimes people (especially older adults) do not understand his problem, and so they do not understand how to interact with him. But I know that the love of his family is very important to him, and I know he really depends on this security. Guess what he likes to talk with me about? He loves to talk about God--he is quite a budding theologian, and has no limits or preconceptions. It's great.:)

God bless you and yours, and I lift you up to Love's warm light.

InPeace,
InLove

Here's an update on my son.

In July of last year we went back to a casein free/gluten free diet, started him on a type of treatment for heavy metal poisoning called chelation and begin administering bi-weekly injections of a supplement called methylcobalamin (methyl-B12). When he was evaluated at baseline on the Childhood Autism Rating Scale ("CARS") he scored a 38, which is on milder side of "moderately autistic."

Baseline labwork showed no abnormal metal levels. However, after 3 months of chelation, he began showing higher and higher levels of mercury and lead in his blood. After 10 months the levels went back to normal and stayed that way. We discontinued the chelation because it appeared to have done its job.

Autism is often accompanied by severe gastrointestinal problems (and was with our son). Recent research indicates that certain autistic kids, particularly those with GI dysfunction, may actually be suffering from a breakdown in a key pathway for cellular metabolism (folate-dependent methylation). A side effect of this is the reduction in the production of an essential amino acid called glutathione. Reduced glutathione is associated with gut lesions and oxidative stress in cells. It is also a key to the body's defense against toxic heavy metals. In short, it appears from recently published scientific research that some autistic kids suffer from sluggish methylation (inherited) which makes them particularly susceptible to heavy metal poisoning. This is known as an "efflux disorder" - an inherited deficiency in the body's ability to bind and excrete certain toxins so that even tiny doses can have disastrous effects. In this case, it was mercury and lead.

Our son was such a kid. By giving him the methyl-B12, we have stabilized his glutathione production and completely eliminated his GI problems. The chelation helped reduce his body burden of toxic mercury and lead.

And here's the good news. At his most recent evaluation he was scored at 32 on the CARS. Under 30 is considered non-autistic. He has COMPLETELY recovered his joint attention and capacity for emotional attachment, and mostly recovered his ability to learn by socialization and immitation. He is still speech-delayed (though he does great with sign language) and will need some time and therapy to catch up to other kids his age in that and a few other areas. According to his developmental pediatrician, if he begins to catch up on speech and a couple of coping behaviors, he will be well below 30 and no longer considered autistic.

To appreciate this, consider that when that last picture was taken (the one above from Christmas 2004) he was near catatonic and the only reason he was even sort of looking toward the camera is because my wife was spinning a toy he was fixated on behind and to the side of me. He almost completely lived in his own world and would look right through you as if you weren't even there. And now we have him back.

Here's a picture of him with his mom from the Waipio Valley, Hawaii taken about six weeks ago:

1000852lq4.jpg

This is a wonderful progress report Abogado. I'm so happy for your family, for your son. It reminds me I need to get in touch with a friend back in Missouri who was trying nutritional approaches and considering chelation therapy for her autistic daughter.

Thank for the photo update: He's adorable. Best wishes to your family.

luna

My daughter was a special needs child. she was 2'2oz at birth and had so many problems. She was born with very low vision, profound hearing loss with lead to speech problems, a heart defect (fixed at 6 surgeries)lung problems, motor skill and cognitive problems. She was introduced to early intervention at about 6 months, started wearing coke bottle glasses at 9 months. At about a year she had many ear surgeries, at 15 months her lungs collapsed so every year without fail until she was 18 0r 19 she would get pneumonia. She did not grow even close to normal size until she was 5 or 6. she had to be fed through her stomach until she was 8 months.
I became very outspoken about her care and treatment. Mindy did not have a specific named birth disorder per Se just with all she had made it rough for her.
Mindy was a very sweet loving child. she will always wear strong glasses, still has some hearing problems, lung problems.
Once Mindy learned to walk and talk and grow she became a social butterfly and rebel.
Having had a special child taught me to be very tolerant of other kids except the ones that are plain spoiled brats. She taught me to sit on the floor and play for hours, she taught me that nothing is more important then the time you spend with them, how to let dinner be late, and so what if there were dirty dishes in the sink. She taught me to love in a way I never thought possible. The only way Mindy would walk was if I held this silly pink ribbon on one end and she held on the other end. If we went shopping or something like that I would tie that ribbon on her wrist to keep her from wandering. When she was learning to walk she only saw shadows and at that time she was unable to hear making a simple outing dangerous.
I was standing in line at a store one time and this stupid woman behind us said that they should not let the retards out in public and for the first time in my life I could have strangled that woman.
The one thing I can tell you is be patient, love that baby, and to be the best advocate you can be.

My youngest girl has some developmental delays. This is very worrisome to my wife and me. She went to a special pre-school this last year, and she'll be attending a special kindergarten next year. It's especially hard because no one can measure and tell us what's really going on, or offer any kind of prognosis. We just hope, and hope things work out. That's all we've got. That and a determination to gut it out whatever comes.

I don't like talking about this stuff. I immediately feel guilty because of all the kids and parents who are so much worse off than we are.

I was standing in line at a store one time and this stupid woman behind us said that they should not let the retards out in public and for the first time in my life I could have strangled that woman.
The one thing I can tell you is be patient, love that baby, and to be the best advocate you can be.

I think I'd have done it for you, had I been in line. better yet, I probably would have publicly pointed out what an uncouth "moron" she was, and when God said He was handing out "Brains", she thought He said "Rain" and ran for cover...

I had a family member who was considered an "idiot/savant". She too was quite precocious, and strong willed. What she lacked in basic motor skills and articulated speech, she more than made up for in photographic memory, and
the ability to play anything she heard once, on the piano, without error. Her sense of humor was also quite "wry". (lol) :D

Unfortunately her body could not keep up with life, and she passed on at 21.

But what a treasure, that one...and a joy to have around.

I guess "judge a book not by its cover", is to be taken to heart.

v/r

Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Back