Which Disciple?

lunamoth said:
Which disciple of Jesus do you most identify with, and why?

peace,
lunamoth
None. I identify with who else...the Centurian. ;)

v/r

Q

OK, OK, wiseacres :) . I should have known no one here would take the obvious path in answering this question.

Perhaps we could at least stick to a NT character???

I still have not picked. Being a typical Libra I hem and haw forever over such things.

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
OK, OK, wiseacres :) . I should have known no one here would take the obvious path in answering this question.

Perhaps we could at least stick to a NT character???

I still have not picked. Being a typical Libra I hem and haw forever over such things.

lunamoth
But, but but...the centurian IS an NT character...honest! :eek:

Actually, none. No disciple. I don't fit the mold...

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
But, but but...the centurian IS an NT character...honest! :eek:

Actually, none. No disciple. I don't fit the mold...

v/r

Q

You're one of a kind, indeed, Q. And yes I knew you had already picked a NT person.

I guess this question is too loaded. Just thought it might be fun. :D

peace,
lunamoth

Kindest Regards, Luna.

I suppose I most identify with Thomas. That is, I doubt. I must be shown. He wasn't condemned for doubting, just chastised. But I have gone too long in my earlier walk believing things that were not, only to realize later. So, I am a little jaded, and not a little distrusting, especially of those who know. So I do challenge teachings, which I guess could be called doubt, until those teachings hold up under scrutiny and application.

Hi Jt3!

I've been close to going with Thomas myself. Like you I question everything and sometimes just need to be shown...

But then I think, if it's not too presumptuous, that maybe I am like John, who loved the Lord but hesitated before entering the tomb.

Tomorrow I will be someone else. :)

lunamoth

This one is hard for me since I have seen myself in a few of them.. Ive been the eager clumsy Simon Peter.. Ive been the tragic depressed and opressed Paul.. Ive felt close to John.. Ive also been Thomas.. Ive been Mary Magdalene..yes and even the centurian But the thing that I have always shared with all of them is the love for Christ.. the faith that I have in Him..

Faithfulservant said:
This one is hard for me since I have seen myself in a few of them.. Ive been the eager clumsy Simon Peter.. Ive been the tragic depressed and opressed Paul.. Ive felt close to John.. Ive also been Thomas.. Ive been Mary Magdalene..yes and even the centurian But the thing that I have always shared with all of them is the love for Christ.. the faith that I have in Him..

Very nice, Faithful. Yes, at tdifferent times I relate to different persons too. Like the woman at the well...

peace,
lunamoth

ok Luna, I will say Peter or John. John because they were brothers & I would like to be close enough to Jesus to be his brother. Peter because he loved Jesus enough that Jesus trusted him to feed his sheep. And also because Peter gave the very first sermon ever preached to the NT Church. He is the rock that Jesus built his church on.

so who are you going to be Lunamoth?:)

I have to admit, I've always liked the fact that Thomas insisted on questioning - always seems a good policy to work with. :)

i have never seen it that way. the disciples did not have the Holy Ghost yet. After Thomas touched Jesus, he did not continue to doubt & ask questions & search Jesus up & down with questions.
I have always seen a spiritual parallel in that, Once you reach & touch the throne of God & He fills us with His spirit, He fills us to overflowing & there is no room for doubt. We can have as much as we want & all we have to do is ask, not necessarily question & or search the earth over for spiritual matters.

I think it is when we drift away from His throne is when the opportunity arises for doubt & we start listening to all the options being presented instead of seeking God in spirit. I do think many have indeed been mislead & hurt by false teaching, that is why we have the Holy Ghost today, to guide us into all truth.

I would have to go with John. He was one of the earliest disciples called to follow Jesus. He was one of the inner circle of three as we see from the story of Jairus daughter, the Transfiguration and the scene at Gesthemane. John was the unnamed 'beloved disciple' which we see from the fact he leaned on Jesus' breast during the Last Supper; it was he who alone remained faithful at the Cross and was entrusted by Christ with the care of His Mother: he was the first to believe in Christ's Resurrection at the Tomb: he first recognised the Lord at the Sea of Tiberias; he was one of the small group who waited in Jerusalem after Christ's Ascension. Most importantly John never had any doubts!!

Bandit said:
After Thomas touched Jesus, he did not continue to doubt & ask questions & search Jesus up & down with questions.
Indeed, but I think it's great that he even dared ask. I can't help but find that rather profound. Just me, though. :)

Peter, definitely. He denied Christ three times, and yet Christ forgave him, and his love for him didn't diminish even the slightest. Yeah, I can relate...

KnightoftheRose said:
Peter, definitely. He denied Christ three times, and yet Christ forgave him, and his love for him didn't diminish even the slightest. Yeah, I can relate...
right. Peter was there for Jesus even in the denial & even at the arrest when the others ran, he defended him & Peter went along behind Jesus. I always found that fascinating too, Jesus still loved him & Peter still loved Jesus & deep down Peter did not forsake him. I always felt that in the fulness of the time, Peter had to also deny him at that time or else he may have been crucified at the same time. Oh, but when the sermon of Peter came forth on the day of Pentecost, it was in boldness & truth for the Lord Jesus.

Thomas needed that. He had to touch him & I think I would have needed to touch him also to remove any doubt. I also wondered, that if any of the others had been doubting at the time, that one brother being a witness was all it took for the others to believe it was him & would have held the confidence for them to tarry in jeruselem until they were endewed with the power of the Holy Ghost. I think deep down he knew, but waivered a bit, which is normal & that touching him is all that matters. I think there was more than a physical touch there & I draw spiritual parallels with all the disciples.

I think there was a difference there in denial & doubt & not betrayal. By a difference I mean, that deep down none of them ever betrayed him except for the one.
The world does not realize how much pain they inflict on the true believers & body of Christ when they surmise & look for ways to create doubt. I dont think the brothers & sisters realize how much pain we can cause each other, when we argue too much over the Word & accuse each other of not being a true believer & disciple. These are the works of the devil to create doubt, discord, confusion & divisions... But in that travail we are being made into a perfect man.
Glad to see you are still in there Knight:)

I always found that fascinating too, Jesus still loved him & Peter still loved Jesus & deep down Peter did not forsake him.
Indeed, one could say "peer pressure" caused Peter to deny Christ (although, that does seem to diminish what he went through.) But Peter realized what he had done after he had done it, and sought redemption. I suppose that's the way it is with so many of us; we do things - little things - that turn us away from Christ, but in the end we realize our mistakes and come back to him. And he's always there, with open arms and a big grin, knowing his children have come home...

I dont think the brothers & sisters realize how much pain we can cause each other, when we argue too much over the Word & accuse each other of not being a true believer & disciple.
That struck home. It's only been recently that I've come to realize that a Christian, no matter what his philosophy or political beliefs, is a Christian, and therefore my brother (or sister.)

I'm glad you haven't left the boards, too, Bandit. ;)

I would have to say all of them (Jesus knew what He was doing) I would also say Paul, later. And I will have to think on Judas Iscariot a little--he certainly did contribute to the driving of those nails, as have I.

And there were, of course, many disciples besides the Twelve, but that has already been addressed--

But my favorite? John. I just like the way he writes;)

InPeace,
InLove

Last edited:
well for me Paul and his inner circle were the true apostles, I don't count the others as being true, because of my doctrine, so I must say PaulIf I were a mainstream christian though, I'd go with Matthew because his gospel is the most spiritual of the 4, it has Jesus say much more things than the others do and it's just a very elegant gospel all in all :)

Back