I want to be strong...

Bi Dhikri Allah said:
Hi Mason,

I can see that you are a deep person with a heart inclined towards the truth. You are already a strong person because you are questioning the faith you grew up with/the way you lived your life up till now, and that takes guts. Your curiosity about faith shows that you are mature enough to realize that there is more out there than merely this world. Allah says in the Quran in several places that this (the Quran) is a book for those of understanding/who are wise/who seek knowledge.
Thank you for saying these things Bi Dhikri Allah, its nice to read them as i don't get alot of encouragement at home these days. ^_^

Bi Dhikri Allah said:
With that in mind, please continue to ask questions about the Muslim faith of Islam because it IS a strange religion (Ghuraba). Allah says that this religion began as something strange and will return as something strange.

Anyways, if you do choose to accept Islam and submit to His will, you will find that Allah will make it easy for you to let go of the past and He will recognize and REWARD you for sacrificing something so dear to you as your art of sculpting. He will also forgive your past sins. Islam is not an easy religion and Muslims aren't expected to live an easy and carefree life. Life is a test of one's faith and how much we put our trust in Allah, our One and ONLY Creator. However, the end of the journey makes it all worth it.
I have been thinking (i do alot of that) over these last few days and after all my indecisiveness i think that i will start learning and asking questions about Islam again, it really does feel like the right thing... ^_^

Bi Dhikri Allah said:
On respecting other faiths and religions, Islam recognizes that there are religions out there that believe in more than one God, etc. We are not allowed to make fun of them and insult their religions. We must show respect for them.
Well thats never a bad thing. ^_^

Bi Dhikri Allah said:
I would like to share with you another example of the Prophet's kindness and how it won over the hearts of nonMuslims: Where the Prophet lived, there was a Jewess who lived next door to him. Everyday she would throw her trash at him whenever she saw him walking outside. One day, the Jewess didn't throw trash at him and he became perturbed. He didn't say anything like "good the old cow is dead" or anything. Instead he went up to her house and asked her servants if their mistress was feeling ok and if there was anything he could do for her. When she heard about this, she immediately accepted Islam.
I could give you countless other stories like this, but I'm afraid this post is too long already-heh.
Oh please if you find time then do tell me more, ^_^ i'm all smiles at the moment, lol.

Mason said:
Thank you for saying these things Bi Dhikri Allah, its nice to read them as i don't get alot of encouragement at home these days. ^_^

I'm sorry to hear that and I pray it becomes easier for you. For all your troubles at home, if He wills, Allah is rewarding you in heaven. A sign of God loving you is when He puts you through hardship. After all, which of the Prophets can you think of led an easy and relaxing life? :p

I have been thinking (i do alot of that) over these last few days and after all my indecisiveness i think that i will start learning and asking questions about Islam again, it really does feel like the right thing... ^_^
I sincerely pray you find the Truth. Don't stop asking questions! Make SURE you are comfortable and at peace with the answer. And Allah will guide you. If you want, you can try this:
Look around you, contemplate the beauty of complexity of nature. Then close your eyes and raise your head and SINCERELY ask the CREATOR of the Universe( don't even have to use the name ALlah) to guide you to the absolute TRUTH. Even the smallest living cell, the building blocks of all living creatures, is more complex than a major metropolitan city. Praise be to the Creator of the Universe.

Well thats never a bad thing. ^_^

Oh please if you find time then do tell me more, ^_^ i'm all smiles at the moment, lol.

No problem!

~Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, was so accommodating of Christians that according to the two earliest Islamic historians, Ibn e Saad and Ibn Hisham, the Prophet even allowed a delegation of 60 Byzantine Christians from Najran in Yemen to worship in his own mosque in Madinah. Lead by their bishop (Usquf), they had come to discuss a number of issues with him. When time of their prayer came, they asked the Prophet's permission to perform this in the mosque. He answered, "conduct your service here in the mosque. It is a place consecrated to God."

~Speaking about the necessity of being kind towards neighbors, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, is reported to have said: “Gabriel continued to recommend me about treating the neighbors kindly and politely so much so that I thought he would order me to make them as my heirs.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

~In other words, Angel Gabriel used to come with so many verses about the RIGHTS your neighbors (nonMuslim and Muslim alike) that the Prophet Muhammad was expecting a verse to be revealed of how much property they will inherit of yours when you die! Praise be to Allah!

~In another hadith, the Prophet said three times Wallahi ( By GOD) you are not a believer if your neighbors are not safe from your mischief. Even if you pray five gazillion times a day, you are not even a BELIEVER if your neighbors are not safe from you.

~Islam also got rid of slavery gradually, not immediately, by implementing a rule per say, that if you commit a bad deed you can get rid of it by freeing slaves and other great sins were expiated by freeing a slave. How many you freed etc depended on the type of sin you committed. In this way, Islam successfully got rid of most of the slavery that existed in about 30-40 years. Islam didn't outrightly abolish it for the reason that people would retaliate harshly and because their society was based on slave labor etc, the economy would need time to adjust. But this gradual implementation helped to abolish it beautifully.
~ Abu Musa al-Ash’ari reported (Bukhari) that the Messenger of Allah said, "A man with whom there is a slave-girl, who teaches her manners and then makes her manners good; who gives her education and imparts it well, and who then emancipates her and afterwards takes her in marriage-there are double rewards for him".

~Many slaves became scholars and leaders. Bilal was a black slave who became very near to the Prophet Muahmmad. He was the first man to call out the adhan (call to prayer) and was appointed commander of an army. Another slave, Zayd, was married to the Prophet's cousin Zaynab and was also made commander of an army. Many of these slaves became scholars of Islam later on.

~The Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) is known to have said, "They should not be entrusted with a work, which they are unable to do. If the assignment is difficult, the master should assist the slave". The Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) declared that the worst of the men is he who beats his slave and does not help him in performing a difficult task. One who treats a slave badly will not enter Paradise. The families of the slaves should not be separated from them.

It goes on and on about slaves.

~I would also like to say that one of the wives of the Prophet was the daughter of his own enemy! Umm Habiba Ramla bint Abu Sufyan was the daughter of Abu Sufiyan who was a leader who spent much of his time devoted to stopping the spread of Islam and Muslim influence. When he heard about the proposal he was overjoyed because the Prophet was well known for his kindness etc.

~In another instance, there was a nonMuslim travelling in a Muslim land. A Muslim commander saw him and beat him with a stick several times. To get his justice, the nonMuslim went to court and asked for his justice. When asked, the Muslim commander was like, "yea I beat him -so what? He is just a kaffir (nonMuslim)". The Muslim judge handed the nonMuslim a stick and told him to beat the Muslim commander just as he was beaten.:D Upon seeing this, the nonMuslim immediately became Muslim and ended up not beating him.

~Alot of people always attack Islam by saying that it allows the husbands to beat their wives. What they don't realize is that back then, women would get abused terribly. Islam introduced the rule that the husband could only use a toothbrush sized stick to tap them lightly on the hand only after repeatedly telling them verbally to stop doing whatever they were doing wrong. Anything beyond that was punished severely. HOWEVER- WOMEN WERE GIVEN TO RESTRAINTS!! Women can hit their husbands all they want and husbands cant say a word or lift one finger:D

~More on the treatment of women in Islam- Even though the lineage of a person was traced through their fathers, one man, Ibn Tamiyyah, was named after his mother because she was such a great scholar of Islam.

~The Prophet's wives would give sermons to a number of men because they were more knowledgeable than they were about Islam. Of course they would sit behind a curtain so they would not be embarressed or gazed upon with evil intentions of the men.

~MOTHERS- A man once consulted the Prophet Muhammad about taking part in a military campaign. The Prophet asked the man if his mother was still living. When told that she was alive, the Prophet said: "(Then) stay with her, for Paradise is at her feet." (Al-Tirmidhi)

On another occasion, the Prophet said: "God has forbidden for you to be undutiful to your mothers." (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

~A man once asked the Prophet to whom he should show the most kindness. The Prophet replied: "Your mother, next your mother, next your mother, and then your father." (Sunan of Abu-Dawood) In other words, we must treat our mothers in a manner befitting their exalted position

~The Arabic word for womb is "rahem." Rahem is derived from the word for mercy. In Islamic tradition, one of God's 99 names is "Al-Raheem," or "the Most Merciful."

I know this list was really long but I hope you read all of it. This isn't even one-tenth of Islam. Read and gain knowledge! With knowledge does Allah raise your ranks among people and among people on the Day of Judgement.

Take care Mason and I pray Allah guides you to the TRUTH.

Mason, I would like to add that if you do choose to study and explore Islam on your own that you consider the time period, context, and the reason FOR the ruling which was sent down. Alot of times people misconstrue the reason for a certain ruling based on what they take out of context.

For example alot of people say Islam was spread by the sword. In truth when you examine things in context, oppressed nations would call upon the Muslims to help them get rid of a tyrannous ruler. They would fight battles on behalf of the oppressed citizens of the land. Through that, many people became Muslims. In the Quran it states:

"Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error; Whoever rejects Evil and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy handhold, that never breaks. And God hears and knows all things." (Al-Baqarah: 256)"

I got this online:
The Prophet used to instruct his followers during battles and tell them not to be embittered or inclined to commit treachery. He asked them to spare non-combatants, particularly children and hermits. Caliph Abu Bakr gave the following instructions to the commander who led the campaign to Syria:

“Do not betray, be treacherous or vindictive. Do not mutilate. Do not kill children, the aged or women. Do not cut or burn palm trees or fruit trees. Do not slay a sheep, a cow, or camel except for your food. And you will come across people who stay in hermitages for worship; leave them alone to what they devote themselves to.”

Justice is highly valued in Islam and no Muslim is allowed to violate it even in times of war against their bitterest enemies. From the early days of Islam, medical assistance was available to all irrespective of religion or creed and was even given to the enemies. The medical profession itself was specially honored in Islam, and it was the duty of the Muslims to offer help in this regard to all.

A well-known example is that of Salahuddin Ayyubi (Saladin) [Kingdom of Heaven leader of Muslim army] , who gave medical help to his opponent Richard the Lion-Hearted of England, who was seriously ill during the Crusades. He sent his own doctor and personally supervised Richard's treatment until he became well. This is in contrast with the behavior of the invading crusaders. When they entered Jerusalem on July 15, 1099, they slaughtered seventy thousand Muslims, including women, children, and the elderly: “They broke children's skulls by knocking them against the wall, threw babies from roof tops, roasted men over fires and cut open women's bellies to see if they had swallowed any gold.”

This description was given by Edward Gibbon, the famous historian; and in modern warfare, this example is paralleled by the atrocious behavior of the Serb army in Bosnia, to quote just one instance.

For the first time in the history of warfare, it was Islam that adopted an attitude of mercy and caring for the captured enemy. Unprecedented by previous legal systems, and long before the Geneva Convention, Islam set the rule that the captive is to be sheltered by his captivity and the wounded by his injury. Islam made it obligatory to feed prisoners.

Ibn Umayr, one of the captives of Muslims in the Battle of Badr recalled: “Whenever I sat with my captors for lunch or dinner, they would offer me bread and themselves [eat] the dates, in view of the Prophet's recommendation in our favor.” Please note that in that desert situation, bread was a more luxurious item of food than dates.

Islam clearly prohibits subjecting captives to ill treatment by denying them food, drink, or clothing. According to Islamic law, the captive belongs to the state and not to his captor. The ruler has the ultimate option, as he sees fit, to grant him freedom immediately or at a later time, as he sees fit.

Sometimes enemy prisoners were exchanged for Muslim prisoners held in enemy hands. An acceptable ransom for release was for the prisoner to teach ten Muslim children to read and write. Combatants were set free upon their word of honor not to fight again; and if they broke their promise and were caught again, they might be severely dealt with.

Islam never fought civilian populations, but only fought despotic rulers. Islamic war was one of liberation and not one of coercion. The liberated people had the freedom to choose their religion, and Muslims often fought to ensure this freedom.

The process of active intervention to stop or remove aggression is a development that modem international law has recognized. And fourteen centuries before the establishment of the League of Nations and later the United Nations, Islam decreed such responsibility. This principle is based on the Qur’anic saying, which means:
*{If two parties among the believers fall into a quarrel, make you peace between them: but if one of them transgresses; the believers are but a single brotherhood: So make peace and reconciliation between your two [contending] brothers; and fear God, that you may receive mercy.}* (Al-Hujurat 49:9-10)​

I got this from this website​

I know these posts are really long and I do apologize but really I don't know what to cut out... I don't want you to miss something because taht would be unfair to you. I apologize if these posts are long and tiring to read :eek: (<-- thats supposed to mean "embarressed" but its funny looking :rolleyes: ) . Anyways, the website I posted is really good. You can click on Discover Islam on the left column to read more and come back here for questions:D. You can post your questions on there also if you want.

Can you believe it, the only reason I was going to post this was to advise you to beware of anti-Islamic websites and articles yet it became this long post....:confused:

Anyways, do take care!

thipps said:
Salaam,

Giving up something for the sake of Allah is part of the teachings of our religion and it has come up in this thread, so here is something to digest:

"Whoever Abandons Something For The Sake Of Allâh, He Will Replace It For Him With Something Better Than It..."

By: Shaykh Alee Hasan al-Halaabee

Source: Al-Asaalah Magazine (Issue 31, pg. 60-61)

The teacher of our teachers, the great scholar and historian, Shaykh Muhammad Raaghib At-Tabbaakh, (Rahimahullâh), mentioned the following story in his book "I’laam an-Nubalaa bi-Taareekh Halab ash-Shuhabaa" (7/231):

"Shaykh Ibraaheem Al-Hilaalee Al-Halaabee – a pious and noble scholar – travelled to Al-Azhar University in search of knowledge. While seeking knowledge, he became very poor and used to rely on charity. One time, several days passed by and he did not find anything to eat, so he became extremely hungry.

So he came out of his room in Al-Azhar to ask for some scraps of food. He found an open door from which a pleasant smell of food was coming out of. So he entered the door and found himself in a kitchen with no one around. There he found some tempting food, so he grabbed a spoon and dipped it in, but when he lifted it to his mouth, he held himself back from eating it, since he realized that he had not been given permission to eat from it. So he left it and returned to his room in the dormitory of Al-Azhar, still hungry and starving.

But no less than an hour passed by, when one of his teachers, accompanied by another man, came into his room. And his teacher said to him: 'This noble man came to me seeking a righteous student of knowledge to choose for marrying his daughter, and I have chosen you for him. So rise and come with us to his home where we can complete the marriage contract between you and his daughter and you can become part of his household.'

So Shaykh Ibraaheem struggled to get to his feet, obeying the command of his teacher and went with them. And behold they took him to the very same house he had been to, and which he had entered and dipped the spoon into the food!

So when he sat down, the girl’s father married her to him and the food was brought out. It was the same food he had put the spoon into before and which he abandoned. But now he ate from it and said to himself: 'I withheld from eating it when I had no permission, but now Allah has given me this food with permission.'

Afterward, this righteous wife went back with him to Halab, after he had finished his studies. And she was bore righteous children for him.”

So this is the fruit of patience and this is the result of having taqwaa, as Allah says: "And whoever has Taqwaa of Allah, He will make a way out for him (from hardship), and He will provide for Him from places He never imagined."
[Soorah At-Talaaq: 2-3]

But as for those who are hasty – those who do not distinguish between the truth and falsehood, seeking after the transitory vanities of this worldly life – they will never experience anything but grief and sorrow in their hearts, for they will never attain the worldly life nor will they ever achieve Religion.

This is because they forget – or perhaps neglect – the saying of Allah: "Is not Allah sufficient for His servant?" [Soorah Az-Zumar: 36]

As for those who are patient and firm and who have Taqwaa, they will gain ascendancy in this life and glory and honour with their Lord on the Day of Judgement. And Allah says: "So give the glad tidings to the patient ones." [Soorah Al-Baqarah: 155]

And He says: "Verily, the patient ones will be given their reward without any reckoning." [Soorah Az-Zumar: 10]

-------------------------------------------------------------​

And with Allaah lies all guidance.​

SubhanAllah. A beautiful story akhee. May Allah reward you immensely.
"And whoever has Taqwaa of Allah, He will make a way out for him (from hardship), and He will provide for Him from places He never imagined." [Soorah At-Talaaq: 2-3]

I love that verse. Is this the Al-Azhar Institute in Cairo, Egypt?

Before i converted i read a translation of the Al-Quran in depth dont worry about hadiths and all that for now but i strongley advice you read though a translation in depth and if it anssers your questions and calls you heart then you'll know the right time to take the next step(shahada).........Again as one poster said if you find verses or statements that you find faultfull then please write them down and I for one Inshalla would be happy to explain/input to the best of my knowlage and resoning any questions that you can pose..................Staffy;)

Hello, and thanks for your replies....
I haven't replied in some time because i was on holiday in Switzerland.

There are quite a few replies i haven't read,.... some because they are a tad long and i lose interest, but i will read them when i have 'the right head on', thats not now. ^_^

I for one Inshalla would be happy to explain/input to the best of my knowledge and reasoning any questions that you can pose
Thanks Staffy, thats nice of you.
^_^

Hello Bi Dhikri Allah, i bet you thought i would never reply. ^_^

It is certainly difficult... to still feel that i could be excepted by the people around me... After the bombings in London i didn't really feel right carrying on learning about Islam. I know the people that carried out these attacks don't speak for the majority of muslims but people don't see it that way anymore,... so it seems.

Also, my best friend is to be going to Iraq as a marine, to fight against muslim (do they call them insurgens?)... That makes me feel even less like following islam, but there is always something still there that makes me think.... should i?

I hope that something really makes you think, "Why is everyone against the Muslims?" I know this one person was so attracted to Islam because she thought there must be soemthing the Muslims have that makes them so dangerous. You know what that is? That is the fact that no matter what, death is not the end. How do you fight a people who are not scared of death? THat is why this war they are fighting in Iraq is different from any other war fought they fought against.

I believe it was General Davis during the Civil War 1861-65 who came up with the theory that war is won by fear-by making the enemy fear you. See how it's not working today?

Being a Muslim automatically makes you different. You will have to give up so many things that your previous friends will no longer even accept you. For example-music, wine, girlfriends, etc. What else would you have left to talk about with your friends?

In the quran, Allah mentions that the nonMuslims will never be satisfied with you unless you act the way they do. See how that makes Muslims already outcasts?

The bombings in London are just misguided youth who think this is the right path- but its NOT. It is so perverted really. It is just a frustrated youth who have nothing better to do because they don't have anything more important to do wiht their time. It's rebellion.

Your friend who is fighting in Iraq will come back a changed man. But htink about it, what is different about this and the Europeans coming to America and killing off the Native Americans who only wanted to defend themselves. It is the Iraqi land, and the war is about getting their natural resources.

Anyways, I hope you realize that if you do enter into Islam, you will be giving up so many things that it will seem as though you are loosing everything. What kind of religion is that? One that makes you suffer through life to gain heaven? Right?

But what ELSE would be sweeter. If you don't work for something and sweat hard to make it, why would you value it? The path to heaven awaits your steps. Those steps will be the hardest steps you will ever take in your life. Those steps will seem like poison. This path awaits your steps.
But what about the other path, the path lined with roses? The life that is sweet now
but those roses will wither away and die and all you will be left with are the thorns.

But the path lined with thorns will be hard, but the thorns will never wither away and in the end you will find nothing but roses.

InshaAllah-I wish you all the best.

>Why is everyone against the Muslims?

Of course we know that not everyone is against the Muslims, not even in the US, and especially not in Canada and most other countries. Below is a quote from Reuters news service on Aug. 16 2005.

-Three quarters of those polled worried the United States might be losing the trust and friendship of other countries and that there might be growing hatred of the United States in Muslim countries. When asked an open-ended question on how the rest of the world saw the United States, nearly two-thirds said the rest of the world had a negative view and one in 10 used the word bully or bullying. So far, public thinking is a disquieting mix of high anxiety, growing uncertainly about current policy and virtually no consensus about what else the country might do, said the report accompanying the poll. A USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll last month found a majority of the U.S. public doubted the United States would win the war in Iraq and believed the Bush administration deliberately misled Americans over Iraq's weapons capabilities when it went to war in 2003.-

>Being a Muslim automatically makes you different. You will have to give up >so many things that your previous friends will no longer even accept you.

I don't agree with the above statment because it is not true. Yes, one will lose some friends no matter what religion one decides to follow, and the same is true if one takes a particular political stance or if one embraces any other philosophy or ideology, but there will always be friends and aquaintances who accept you as a friend, even though they don't believe exactly the same as you. One can still have meaningfull conversations and relationships with others even though their beliefs are different. What a sad world it would be if this were not true.

>In the quran, Allah mentions that the nonMuslims will never be satisfied >with you unless you act the way they do. See how that makes Muslims >already outcasts?

I am a non-muslim and this is not true of me or many other people that I know. Perhaps it would be true of fundamentalist religionists of some other faiths....but I don't think it fair for you to make such a carte blanche statement. Perhaps it is a matter of interpretation of the quaranic verses...depending upon the context in which they were written and in particular the exact circumstance being addressed. I know that this often happens in Christian circles, the pulling of a verse out of context and interpreting it in a literal fashion to prove an invalid point...ignoring the text before and after the particular verse. Of course there are always some who are opposed to anything they don't understand or have knowledge about, as well their are many who may be totally indifferent, and involved in their own little world without giving much thought to religious matters and also there are the poor boobs who just go with the flow of whatever they percieve to be the majority of opinion. There are so many variables involved that I think it simplistic to make blanket statements.

> It is the Iraqi land, and the war is about getting their natural resources.

I think that I can agree with you on this to a large degree, and many westerners are of the same opinion. Anyway friend...may His Peace be upon you.

الله أكبر

Mason said:
Earlier today i was reading on another forum about a girl who wanted to take up a religion, but she had a few beliefs that clashed with it, ones that would have stopped her from practising that faith. It seemed she didn't know if she could or wanted to give them up... In someone's reply they said "If you do seek God, you may be put in the position of having to dispense with some long cherished beliefs. That is how it is with God". This made me think about me and Islam, as i am in quite a similar position,... not knowing if i can detach myself from my original beliefs. I want to, because most of them don't make any sense and they leave me feeling very empty and worthless. I want to be strong and leave these wrong beliefs behind, but i don't know how, and i most certainly don't want to be living in denial.

There are some things i have found out about Islam that i wish i hadn't, because it makes me abit sad to think that its not as perfect as i had hoped. Though, i still want to learn more about it, and i really think i want to be a muslim. I hope i can be forgiven by Allah for being so very doubting and indecisive. Does anyone have any surjestion on how i should over come and learn to disbelieve my "basic beliefs"? I really don't want them anymore, i never did. I want to feel whole and content about what i believe, can anyone help me...?

Hi Mason,

I just wanted to say that I can understand your feelings and also I wanted you to know that I will be praying for you so that you will be guided by God to find the place where your heart is at peace and you can find a relationship with God.

Thats very nice of you Anna, Thanks ^_^

Though i don't feel exactly that way anymore,.. i said in there some where that i had found out some things i didn't like about islam, and as time has gone on i have found more. So i feel with everything that has happened (London bombings included) its not right for me to want to follow Islam anymore.

Though i still feel i want to find some form of relationship with God, so i am reading more about other religions now...

^_^

Back