Wedding at Canna, Jesus' first miracle...

i have to go with stephen on this. there is nothing there about them being intoxicated as if they had already been drinking.Jesus said THEY HAVE NO WINE. so he made wine.

the governers point was, in the beginning of the celebration, they POP open a bottle from the start to celebrate & the ruler tastes it first. then as they get silly & goofy, they put out the cheap stuff becase they wont know the difference. however, they had no wine until Jesus got there.

as we can see they had no wine, period, until Jesus made it & gave it to them which appears to me, to be later in the party. in the start when Jesus got there it says THEY WANTED WINE.

so if they were already drunk, the ruler would not have known the difference.

wether the wine Jesus made was fermented or not is another thing.

i think the whole thing here is that Jesus was going ahead of time, & revealing how we would become drunk on new wine, that is in the gift of the Holy Ghost which is through Jesus & because of his blood shed on Calvary.
on the day of Pentecost the 120 were accused of being drunk, then Peter explains they were not drunk as they supposed but they were drunk on new wine, the Holy Ghost.

IOW, we dont get the good stuff until we meet Jesus.

that is how i see it for now:)
but you dont have to see it the same way i do.

Bandit said:
i think the whole thing here is that Jesus was going ahead of time, & revealing how we would become drunk on new wine, that is in the gift of the Holy Ghost which is through Jesus & because of his blood shed on Calvary.
on the day of Pentecost the 120 were accused of being drunk, then Peter explains they were not drunk as they supposed but they were drunk on new wine, the Holy Ghost.

I see it this way too, Bandit.

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
I see it this way too, Bandit.

lunamoth
just seems like his mom would have known & said something like, they need more wine, or we are out of wine.
then he goes 'its not my time'

(paraphrasing this)

but the whole thing just never ends...the true vine & we the fruit
the winepress & sickle in revelation. how a man planted a vineyard & rented it.
his body & blood the bread & wine...
the wild sour grapes in Is. are trodden.

then in one place it is like be sober & watch.

it just never ends:)

of course,the director of the feast was not saying that they were intoxicated but it proves that the wine Jesus made was acoholic wine because the word used was the same as the word in other verses where it means intoxicated

Most people know that at the wedding feast in Cana, Jesus turned water into wine. Recall, though, this point: "When, now, the director of the feast tasted the water that had been turned into wine . . . , [he] called the bridegroom and said to him: ‘Every other man puts out the fine wine first, and when people are intoxicated, the inferior.’" (John 2:9, 10) He did not say that at this particular feast the guests got "intoxicated." In fact, it is unthinkable that Jesus would countenance drunkenness and add to it by making more wine. Still, this man knew that overdrinking was common at Jewish wedding feasts.

Matthew 24:49; Luke 12:45; Acts 2:15; Ephesians 5:18; 1 Thessalonians 5:7

From the Greek methusko, meaning "get drunk, become intoxicated.its always best to be consistent with words then the correct meaning can be put in the translation . Jesus did not think it was wrong to drink acoholic wine.i have known some people who try to say that the bible says a christian cannot have alcholic drink, this to me is like adding wrong teaching to the word of God .of course, if a person prefers not to have a drink that is up to them , but to imply that the bible teaches this would be wrong.

Jesus drank wine with his meals when it was available.—Matt. 11:19; Luke 7:34.

Go, eat your food with rejoicing and drink your wine with a good heart, because already the [true] God has found pleasure in your works(eccles 9;7)

(Psalm 104:15) And wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice, To make the face shine with oil, And bread that sustains the very heart of mortal man.

Moderation in all things is a Bible principle

Wine and its proper use are not censured, but drunkenness and lack of self-control

Woe to those who are getting up early in the morning that they may seek just intoxicating liquor, who are lingering till late in the evening darkness so that wine itself inflames them(Isaiah5;11)

Back