i believe in revelation......

dayaa

Reaction score
hello/shalom

mr dauer please:

i have noticed your signature being "i believe in revelation, but i believe that it filters through every one of us"

could you expand this idea please as i find it very interesting.

thankyou

dayaa said:
hello/shalom

mr dauer please:

i have noticed your signature being "i believe in revelation, but i believe that it filters through every one of us"

could you expand this idea please as i find it very interesting.

thankyou

Hello dayaa,

FYI, dauer is at a retreat all summer and probably will not be in contact with the forum very much, if at all, during this time. I agree it is an interesting idea!

lunamoth

hello:)

thanks for telling me luna....i would have been dissapointed waiting for a reply....now i know he's not here it's ok....i'll wait:)

Hey!

Good thing I went snooping through the composted threads. I knew I'd find something worth munching on. Maybe that's not a good analogy...

So to answer your question, what the heck was my old signature talking about? And I quote:

"I believe in Revelation. But I believe that it filters through every one of us, through our actions, our thoughts, our music, our artwork."

This was actually in a series of Zalmanic aphorisms, that is these were aphorisms from Reb Zalman, included in a particular publication. Before I say anything, I will include a few of the related ones, not that I agree with them really but I'll clarify it all after. Just consider what's already been posted as canon and the rest of this not to be canon, if that makes sense.

"Revelations in the coming paradigm will not be found in solitary desert wanderings or transcendental excursions, but in the more immediate surroundings of the Planetary Mind and the kinds of happenings it burps up now and then."

"Trying to give finite form to the Revelation of the Infinite is dangerous. You can't drive forward while looking through the rear-view mirror. The Revelation of Torah, for example, has no one single finite form. The Revelation might remain the same, but the form which mortals give it changes. Tradition, therefore, is a marker we leave behind us in previous life cycles so that when we come back we have some notion of where we left off. We need to look at tradition, therefore, not as a relic of the past but as a catalyst for the future."

The entire list of aphorisms can be found here:

http://www.walkingstick.org/Pumbedissaarchive1.html
(and Reb Gershon Winkler also wrote a very good article included there.)

So to reiterate what I didn't really need to say, I don't believe in a distant, finite revelation in the past that happened for my ancestors, something that can only be passed on to me, although it is a very beautiful myth. I believe revelation is something we can have in the present, and it can pour through everything, at any given time, when we let ourselves open up to that possibility, not that everything we do is going to be revelatory but that there is that potential. But I don't want to equate this with the other belief, that on a mountain God handed down something, because I don't think it's useful to turn this into a myth. It's just a different way to view the revelation so that it's happening in the present instead of the past and there is no longer a need to go only by the past. We can keep building, conscious at this point that we are building.

Dauer

I don't get it. I'm Amurican. Is Zalman the name of a character on a British tv show?

Back