A Pagan Prayer

I really like your prayer , how true that we have preconceive idea of what a person is or should be, I have a nice quote that I try to follow "it is good to be important but it is more important to be good ", I live in New zealand and one of my friend and I just discover this web site if everybody is like you we certainly are going towards a better world
WiccanWade said:
Here's a really beautiful prayer I just had to pass along:

Dear Goddess & God,

Help us remember that the "jerk" who cut us off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the peirced, tattoed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly, is a worried 19 year old college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student loans for next semester.

Remind us, Goddess & God, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job) is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Goddess, remind us each day that, of all the gifts we have the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive, show patience, empathy and love.

So Mote It Be!

Zdrastvuitsye, hola, shalom, salaam, Dia dhuit, namastar ji, hej, ohayoo, squeak, meow, :wave:, danielle.

I agree with the people posting here concerning your prayer, WiccanWade, and I wonder how many people realize just how hard it is to follow the precepts of your piece. Heck, there are times I find it hard to follow them (yesterday, for example.)

bgruagach, I was reading your particular posting on witchgrotto, and I was reminded of an interesting "discussion" that another NZer (Cat Rowan) posted on the now-closed Mothers Magic/Breathless Noon forum (actually, it was a link to a "discussion" she was involved in on another forum.) If I recall the gist of it, she was being attacked for allowing Satanists and Voudoun practitioners into discussion groups, yet not allowing minors into these particular groups. I remember that the person who posted the "discussion" originally also posted a "discussion" concerning whether or not the killing of a virus was black magic (I still get a chuckle out of that one.) If you want, we can continue this discussion off-forum, okay?

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Siege said:
Well, Wiccan Wade, I'm afraid I couldn't resist. I just reposted your prayer on Straight Dope changing the terminology to Christian terminology and asking my fellow Christians if they'd be willing to pray it. It may be un-Christian of me, but I think it might be fun to see the reactions of some folks when they hear its origin.

I think it's a good prayer. There are some things which I believe all human beings are called to do, regardless of what names they hang on their religion. That prayer sums them up nicely. Unfortunately, some human beings use their religion as an excuse to hang being a jerk on. I want to think Wiccans are less likely to do so, but that's due to exposure to WHKeith and his wife. Oh well. Thanks for keeping me from closing my eyes.

CJ

I being Christian would have no problem praying this if Goddess was changed to God. It has many of the Essentials of a Christian prayer. And I think that many of the things it asks for are very much needed in this world. While I find your tactics somewhat deceitful I think it is a great way to open some minds and destroy the prodigies many Christians have in thinking that all other religions are animal sacrificing Satan worshipers.

Wish and gripe list

It seems like a wish and gripe list.

But to be complete, address the prayer to all the powers that be up there or anywhere who can help, and appreciate some compliment.

Susma Rio Sep

WiccanWade said:
Here's a really beautiful prayer I just had to pass along:

Dear Goddess & God,

Help us remember that the "jerk" who cut us off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the peirced, tattoed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly, is a worried 19 year old college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student loans for next semester.

Remind us, Goddess & God, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job) is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Goddess, remind us each day that, of all the gifts we have the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive, show patience, empathy and love.

So Mote It Be!

JJM said:
I being Christian would have no problem praying this if Goddess was changed to God. It has many of the Essentials of a Christian prayer. And I think that many of the things it asks for are very much needed in this world. While I find your tactics somewhat deceitful I think it is a great way to open some minds and destroy the prodigies many Christians have in thinking that all other religions are animal sacrificing Satan worshipers.
I love you guys! :D

Back