Would you live your life again?

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In The Twilight Zone: The Movie, the last story was about a group of old people in a home who are offered youth again. Almost all of them accept it – but one doesn't, on the grounds that she didn’t want to have to go through the experience of growing up again.

I also remembered that because it seemed a strange decision – at least, in my teens. Now I'm older I wonder which decision I'd actually take.

After all, on the one hand, it was be great to be able to return to our lives with the wisdom we have already acquired from it. But isn't that all part of growing up anyway?

But isn’t there also the danger of repeating past "mistakes", on the ground that the lessons learned no longer seemed so relevant in a second lifetime?

I'm sure even the younger among us have considered the advantages of rewinding life's clock - if only by a couple of years.

Anyway, what would you do if offered the chance?

I said:
I'm sure even the younger among us have considered the advantages of rewinding life's clock - if only by a couple of years.

Oh choices, choices choices :rolleyes:

1) Go back two and a half years and fight the last custody battle differently. (too soon old, too late wise).

2) Go back 6 years and redo the divorce agreement.

3) Go back 16 years and not spend 10 fighting to save a doomed marriage.

4) Go back 18 years and skip that dinner where I met my ex.

5) Go back 20 years or so and focus more on school work instead of partying in college.

6) Go back 25 or so years and understand why I was different in high school. (Medical condition, diagnosed about 20 years ago...)

7) Go back to about '68/69 (not sure of the year) and tell my mom that No, Jumpsuits and platform shoes are NOT fashionable this year for guys, no matter WHAT you think.

Just a rewind of aging, no time movement - no thanks. My daughter would never understand :)

Interesting thought, though. Where I am is a combination of all my experiences - good and bad. Without the years with my ex, I would not have been where I met my wife. Similarly, my daughters wouldn't exist. Without the lessons from getting picked on for the wierd clothes and being otherwise odd, I would not have the personality I have. Chance meetings have brought me to here - including to this board. If I hadn't been walking by the table at just the right time, I wouldn't have heard Seige asking if anyone needed a ride back to Pittsburgh, and I would have continued with my plan to take the bus, depriving me of a wonderful journey & a new place to hang out.

Namaste brian,

thanks for the post.

in a very real sense... i have done this already.

however, i'll confine myself to this lifetimes discussion :)

no, i would not want to go back and do it again. not one single, tiny little bit.

if you knew my story, i'd dare say that you'd think that i was a loon for not going back and changing somethings.

however...

if i were to do that, then the person that i am today would not be. i am very happy and comfortable with the person that i am today and i would not want to exchange that for anyone or anytime else.

there are life experiences that we all have that, whilst we are going through them, we wish wouldn't have happened. there are experiences that are so painful that we even block them from our conscious memory. i can only speak for myself when i say that, despite all the physical abuse, despite the deplorable conditions where i was raised, despite all the things that so many modern people lament... i would have them all again.. in triple, if i could turn out the way that i am now.

perhaps.. in a long and winding way, that was a post that simply says that i'm happy with myself and i've become accustomed to the odd little things of this existence and i wouldn't trade them for anything.

There are enough challenges and obstacles in life without having to face them all again!
Sometimes I do wonder what it would be like to experience parts of my life again. But I know I would not fare much better even with experience.

Live life again

I would not live my life over. It has not been filled with the greatest of experiences & I couldn't bear the pain again. My consolation lies in the fact that one day this life will be finished and I can move on, hopefully, to heaven. I will miss my children when I am gone, but not a lot of much else...

Go back? No way!

I review my life on a daily basis and would not change any of the stupid mistakes it took for me to get here. I would though, relish a new life, as a different person, to have new experiences and new sights, new friends and new knowledge. Since I suspect that reincarnation is indeed possible, that we must live in an earthly form until we are enlightened, I suppose I will get another chance anyway. This life has afforded me some "pre-enlighted" wisdom, but I can't seem to apply it to my fellow man.
Besides, I really don't think that man is the highest of earthly existances that can be achieved. It's still a mystery to me as to what might be, but man, unlike other creatures, can't get along with his own kind. We only gather together with one mind as mobs.

I guess that there are the temptations to do it, but I'm afraid that I would make the same choices (or worse) in the spots that I made really bad blunders. Heck, if certain decisions weren't made, I would probably be in worse shape than I am right now (if that was even possible.)

Take for instance, the decision my father made to move to Milwaukee when he was offered a job here. I might have become somebody like one of my former neighbors ( :shudder: ) who couldn't stand anybody who didn't fit her "standards" (and I'm one of them who didn't fit her standards.) I wouldn't have found one of my favorite companions (Shadow Kibblesbane) nor would I have met some of the people I know on campus. There are a number of other examples I can mention, but I'm going to limit myself this post. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

No thank you. I am far too progressive to want to go back to sleep. I am much more interested in what comes after this body is discarded...that seems the better destination for me personally.

dcv-

No, I don't think so. Even the bad decisions and choices made in life add to the person you are today.
I wouldn't even change my unpleasant marriage because to do so would erase my three wonderful daughters from existance.
Too much of what is good in life could be changed just by making a left turn instead of a right turn.

OK, somebody's got to play the other side, I guess I will for the sake of discussion. (I do agree with all of you though).

Do I get to go back knowing what I do now? If so, yes. There are certain chapters I wish I could rewrite. A "do over" would have been nice, but we don't get that luxury. You all raise an interesting point though, would I still become the person I am now? I would like to believe the difference would not be discernable, but who could say? A better education and career path might have made me a completely different person, but I think there is a core that would remain unchanged. I would still have the faith I have, and the beliefs.

There are moments I would not like to re-live. So if the essence of the challenge is to rehash what I have already been through, no thanks. Yet I look forward to life unfolding. The unknown makes life as fun as a carnival, an unfamiliar roller-coaster with its ups and downs, the excitement and thrill that can only come from the challenge of a path we blindly walk by faith.

If, by this question, you mean, would I go back in time and redo my life? No not that. Among other things my daughter would no longer exist. Not an option. However, I wouldn't mind being physically 20 again and have another 60 years or so. Interestingly, I think I know what I would do ... go to college and study hard. But I wonder if it would work this time around? I really do not know and so you see I really don't know myself all that well ... and after all these years! Very interesting question!

I wouldn't go back. I like my life. I know myself well enough to know that if I tried to go back and change "mistakes", I'd just be exchanging one set of outcomes for another that I would be equally unhappy or happy about and wish I could change. Better instead to try to live life on life's terms. :)

With metta,
Zenda

As a child I had memories of my past life (in another body) and longed to get back to those times. Now I realise it is negative to want to go back to the past and want to always look forward. If it is my youth I'd be missing (which I don't because growing up is hard), I can wait for the next time if there is one.:)

No way. Not unless I could change every single thing about my life... including which planet I live it on.

I said:
In The Twilight Zone: The Movie, the last story was about a group of old people in a home who are offered youth again. Almost all of them accept it – but one doesn't, on the grounds that she didn’t want to have to go through the experience of growing up again.

I also remembered that because it seemed a strange decision – at least, in my teens. Now I'm older I wonder which decision I'd actually take.

After all, on the one hand, it was be great to be able to return to our lives with the wisdom we have already acquired from it. But isn't that all part of growing up anyway?

But isn’t there also the danger of repeating past "mistakes", on the ground that the lessons learned no longer seemed so relevant in a second lifetime?

Hmmm, Brian. What a conundrum you present, and what a group of altruistic people we have here (I'm very pleased to observe). If we ever develop the means of going back in linear time, all y'all should be the first cadre of "Time Cops", as an example for future time cops to emmulate.

I personally would not change the status quo, but I would go back to stop the status quo from being changed by other, less honorable, or more desperate people, using the technology.

If on the other hand, I found myself in my younger body, with the current knowledge I have, still intact, I would be the most potentially powerful and conversely the most vulnerable child on earth. Can you imagine trying to act like a child of 10, with the mind, future memories and experiences of a 45 year old, who has already lived the future? If you slipped up on what you already know, you might be institutionalized, hunted down, or confiscated for the "good of the state" (read that as being used for the wants of the powerful in positions of athority).

Even if you did nothing, but live as a 10 year old, your very behavior would modify events yet to be. Knowing what you know, you'd avoid turning right on such and such street instead of going straight, or stopping, in order to avoid being hit by a car and getting a leg broken that had happened in the past, and was about to happen again...unless you have a very strong will, that overrides self preservation. If you never got hit, then the driver never got caught for being drunk, that time, and never decided to change his ways, and now a new accident occurs with someone else at a later time, that should not have happened...and that "victim" dies, which means she doesn't become Governor of a state, and later the president, like she was supposed to.

If on the other hand you become a child of 10 with no memory of the fact that you are from the future, I think the complexities of the human mind and spirit would haunt you with "visions" of things you can't explain, but it would drive you crazy none the less. Your "insight" might be considered phenominal, or mirraculus, and again you might find yourself fighting for sanity and safety from a hungry, desperate world.

If you changed one little thing about your life, you would forever change the entire world. Of course no one else would know the differences, but you would. And your future/past would be altered as well.

I know for fact that If I was back in time, I would hold my tongue, or speak a kind word instead of a harsh one, and that would change everthing, and not necessarrily for the better (though I might believe so at the moment).

Then again, maybe my idea of better, is wrong.

A world with no borders, and a government body that is benign and benifical to its citizens...no nationalism, proud to be human, as opposed to being from this country or that. No need for guns except for hunting (which would work dillegently with groups for animal husbandry).

Or, the opposite. Fortress America (for example), Japan is gone, Russia is gone, China is in the fight of it's life, Bill of rights shredded, martial law prevails world wide. Common law a pipe dream, and dope pipes are as common as pocket combs.

Maybe because we can't go back, there is a balance (tenious at times), that is maintained in this existance. I would not want to go back and upset that balance, simply because I don't think I could handle (personally) the outcome.

Then, add other people going back in time to your own...oh my!:eek:

Now, going into the future might be cool, except for one small detail, we'd be meddling in some one else's past...like our children's, and their children...

I think the only way that would be acceptable for a person to time travel, would be to go forward...by way of cryogenics. Go to sleep young, wake up young, but be the oldest person on earth, with no concept of what has happened while you were "asleep". You'd be a great history buff, and could clear up fuzzy details from your era, but you would not screw up the time/space continuim.

Brian, I wouldn't want to revisit even yesterday. But I wouldn't mind going back within a twenty four hour period. But even that causes potential problems. What a "causal loop" that could invoke! Imagine 6,000,000,000 people going back within twenty four hours to "change things". And then keep going back, in order to get the outcome they want...

We'd never see tomorrow!:mad:

v/r

Q

KnightoftheRose said:
Heh, I'm 17 years old, just barely out of my childhood...ask me again in 10 years ;)
(Chuckle), you're still in childhood/adolecence until you are 30. I hope you take "time" to enjoy that precious moment. I know if I was your age, I would. But then, I'd screw up the time/space continuim...wouldn't I?:eek:

You don't have too, but then no one ever listens to their elders, until it's late.

v/r

Q

Bah, adolescence is overrated...fights, peer pressure, drugs (ne'er did them - but they messed up the few close friends I had back in my early years of high school), fear, anger, depression, pointless competition, abusive adults (teachers, usually), abrasive teenagers, the wild hormonal developments (mood change in 3..2..1), all the misunderstandings (heh, I'm starting to sound like an angsty goth, hunh?), and all the time spent in tears and sorrow...why would I enjoy these "precious" moments? If I could go back in time, it wouldn't be to "enjoy" my youth...it would be to correct all the bad times - and damn the time/space continuum! :D

Back