The Beatitudes, and what they mean

Happy are the pure in heart, since they will see God. Happy are the peaceable, since they will be called ‘sons of God. (Matthew 5:8, 9)

A pure heart is one that is not only morally clean but also spiritually untainted .as others have mentioned ,to be peaceable means to be peacemakers.

They "seek peace and pursue it."—1 Peter 3:11.

To the peaceable who are pure in heart, the promise is made that they will be called ‘sons of Godand "will see God." Anointed Christians are spirit-begotten and are adopted by Jehovah as "sons" while still on earth. (Romans 8:14-17) When they are resurrected to be with Christ in heaven, they serve in Jehovah’s presence and actually see Him.—1 John 3:1, 2; Revelation 4:9-11.but of coarse jesus said that not only did he have these sheep , who would be going to heaven ,but he said that there would be other sheep

And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd john10;16

The peaceable "other sheep" serve Jehovah under the Fine Shepherd, Christ Jesus, who becomes their "Eternal Father." (John 10:14, 16; Isaiah 9:6)

like Job and Moses of old, they can "see God" with eyes of faith. (Job 42:5; Hebrews 11:27) With ‘the eyes of their heart’ and through accurate knowledge of God, they perceive Jehovah’s wonderful qualities and endeavor to imitate him by doing his will.—Ephesians 1:18; Romans 1:19, 20; 3 John 11

Beloved one, be an imitator, not of what is bad, but of what is good. He that does good originates with God. He that does bad has not seen God 3john 11

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

The pure in heart can be defined simply as "What you see is what you get".

There is no guile, no facade, no acting or speaking one way while thinking another.

It is not actions, but the intent behind those actions. That is not something man can judge, but only God.

The Pharasees lived pious lives (as far as the world could see). They appeared untainted, clean, righteous, upstanding, and Godly.

The beggar woman in filthy rags, with two pennies to her name, put them in the poor bowl so that others might eat, and did so in secret.

The "Roman" Centurian approached the Lord with a steady gaze, and a request in his heart. "Please come with me and heal my servant". He hid nothing. He was a rich man, and a soldier, used to command and used to taking orders. He looked upon Jesus in the same way. "When I say I will do this, I do it, when I say go here and do this, my servants and soldiers carry out my orders...you command the same presence...please come and heal my servant."

Being pure in heart has nothing to do with being without sin. It has nothing to do with right living (as outsiders observe). It has to do with intent. Even if we mess up, or commit errors, or even get angry and through that anger, we stumble, what God judges is our intent.

So when Jesus says "Blessed are the pure in heart". He is saying blessed are those who's intentions are pure and for the good of others.

v/r

Q

Each of these nine beatitudes, as they are commonly called, is introduced by the Greek word ma·ka´ri·oi. Instead of rendering this with "blessed," as some translations do, the New World Translation and some other translations, such as The Jerusalem Bible and Today’s English Version, use the more accurate term "happy."

mee said:
Each of these nine beatitudes, as they are commonly called, is introduced by the Greek word ma·ka´ri·oi. Instead of rendering this with "blessed," as some translations do, the New World Translation and some other translations, such as The Jerusalem Bible and Today’s English Version, use the more accurate term "happy."

Yes, but not the original Greek or Hebrew...

Quahom1 said:
Yes, but not the original Greek or Hebrew...

The 27 canonical books of the Christian Scriptures were written in the common Greek of the day. However, the book of Matthew was apparently written first in Biblical Hebrew, to serve the Jewish people. The fourth-century Bible translator Jerome states this, saying that it was later translated into Greek. Matthew himself probably made this translation—having been a Roman civil servant, a tax collector, he without doubt knew Hebrew, Latin, and Greek.—Mark 2:14-17.​

The other Christian Bible writers, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, James, and Jude, all wrote their documents in Koine, the common, living language that was understood by the Christians and most other people of the first century. The last of the original documents was written by John about 98 C.E. As far as is known, none of these 27 original manuscripts in Koine have survived to this day. However, from this original fountainhead, there have flowed to us copies of the originals, copies of copies, and families of copies, to form a vast reservoir of manuscripts of the Christian Greek Scriptures but maybe that is for another thread about translations:)

here is what i got for blessed & happy. two of them (3107) come up the same.
i think it is possible to be blessed but not happy because of ignorance & i suppose it is possible to be happy & not be blessed or not as blessed.

BUT to be both happy & blessed is what we get from the Beatitudes. because we are smart.:)

BLESSED----

2128 eulogetos yoo-log-ay-tos' from 2127; adorable:--blessed. 3106 makarizo mak-ar-id'-zo from 3107; to beatify, i.e. pronounce (or esteem) fortunate:--call blessed, count happy.
3107 makarios mak-ar'-ee-os a prolonged form of the poetical makar (meaning the same); supremely blest; by extension, fortunate, well off:-- blessed, happy(X -ier).

HAPPY----

3106 makarizo mak-ar-id'-zo from 3107; to beatify, i.e. pronounce (or esteem) fortunate:--call blessed, count happy. 3107 makarios mak-ar'-ee-os a prolonged form of the poetical makar (meaning the same); supremely blest; by extension, fortunate, well off:-- blessed, happy(X -ier).
5344 Phelix fay'-lix of Latin origin; happy; Phelix (i.e. Felix), a Roman:--Felix.
5463 chairo khah'-ee-ro a primary verb; to be "cheer"ful, i.e. calmly happy or well-off; impersonally, especially as salutation (on meeting or parting), be well:--farewell, be glad, God speed, greeting, hall, joy(- fully), rejoice.

yes iagree we can be happy and it is a blessing to have a hope for the future if we listen to what Jesus said on the sermon on the mount:)

The Beatitudes is one of my favorite scriptures.I can just imagine Jesus standing high on the hill saying thease beautiful words.How lovely thease words are.

This sermon not only reveals God’s divine nature, it puts into our hands the most powerful of evangelistic weapons. It is the greatest evangelistic sermon ever preached by the greatest evangelist who ever lived.

The straightedge of God’s Law reveals how crooked we are:

• Matt. 5:3: The unregenerate heart isn’t poor in spirit. It is proud, self-righteous, and boastful (every man is pure in his own eyes—Proverbs16:2).
  • Matt. 5:4: The unsaved don’t mourn over their sin; they love the darkness and hate the light (John 3:19).
  • Matt. 5:5: The ungodly are not meek and lowly of heart. Their sinful condition is described in Romans 3:13–18.
  • Matt. 5:6: Sinners don’t hunger and thirst after righteousness. Instead, they drink iniquity like water (Job 15:16).
  • Matt. 5:7: The world is shallow in its ability to show true mercy. It is by nature cruel and vindictive (Genesis 6:5).
  • Matt. 5:8: The heart of the unregenerate is not pure; it is desperately wicked (Jeremiah 17:9). Those who are born again manifest the fruit of the Spirit, live godly in Christ Jesus (Matt. 5:3–9), and therefore suffer persecution (Matt. 5:10–12). However, their purpose on earth is to be salt and light: to be a moral influence, and to bring the light to those who sit in the shadow of death (Matt. 5:13–16).
Look now at how the Messiah expounds the Law and makes it "honorable" (Isaiah 42:21). He establishes that He didn’t come to destroy the Law (Matt. 5:17); not even the smallest part of it will pass away (Matt. 5:18). It will be the divine standard of judgment (James 2:12; Romans 2:12; Acts 17:31). Those who teach it "shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 5:19). The Law should be taught to sinners because it was made for them (1 Timothy 1:8–10), and is a "schoolmaster" that brings the "knowledge of sin" (Romans 3:19,20; 7:7). Its function is to destroy self-righteousness and bring sinners to the cross (Galatians 3:24). The righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees was merely outward, but God requires truth in the inward parts (Psalm 51:6). Jesus shows this by unveiling the Law’s spiritual nature (Romans 7:14).

The Sixth Commandment forbids murder. However, Jesus shows that it also condemns anger "without cause," and even evil- speaking (Matt. 5:21–26): "Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give an account thereof in the day of judgment" (Matthew 12:36).

The Seventh Commandment forbids adultery, but Jesus revealed that this also includes lust, and it even condemns divorce, except in the case of sexual sin of the spouse (Matt. 5:27–32).

Jesus opens up the Ninth Commandment (Matt. 5:33–37), and then shows that love is the spirit of the Law—"The end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart . . ." (1 Timothy 1:5). This is summarized in what is commonly called the Golden Rule: "All things whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you even so to them: for this is the Law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12, emphasis added).

"Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law. For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, You shall not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law" (Romans 13:8–10).

When a sinner is born again he is able to do this (Matt. 5:38–47). He now possesses "the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4). In Christ he is made perfect and thus satisfies the demands of a "perfect" Law (Psalm 19:7; James 1:25). Without the righteousness of Christ he cannot be perfect as his Father in heaven is perfect (Matt. 5:48). The Law annihilated his self-righteousness leaving him undone and condemned. His only hope was in the cross of Jesus Christ. After his conversion, knowledge of the Law that brought him there keeps him at the foot of the cross. John Wesley said, "Therefore I cannot spare the Law one moment, no more than I can spare Christ, seeing I now want it as much to keep me to Christ, as I ever wanted it to bring me to Him. Otherwise this ‘evil heart of unbelief’ would immediately ‘depart from the living God.’ Indeed each is continually sending me to the other—the Law to Christ, and Christ to the Law."

kittycat said:
The Beatitudes is one of my favorite scriptures.I can just imagine Jesus standing high on the hill saying thease beautiful words.How lovely thease words are.

Welcome to CR Kittycat!;)

v/r

Q

I said:

LOL, I guess we left off at this one:Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness:
for they shall be filled.

To me this means I will not be satisfied, until those who are dealt a low blow, are justified. It happens everyday. But the Lord states theirs is a case He will adjucate, He will take care of. Like the woman with the judge, he will answer her plea.

v/r

q

10 "Happy are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.
11 "Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against youfor my sake. 12 Rejoice and leap for joy, since your reward is great in the heavens; for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you.................... so i think that persecution would be expected if a person is a follower of Jesus christ as other verses seem to imply

(Matthew 10:22) And you will be objects of hatred by all people on account of my name; but he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved........yes Jesus represents his fathers name​

(John 15:21) But they will do all these things against you on account of my name, because they do not know him that sent me.
But they will do these things because they have not come to know either the Father or me.... John 16;3

(Luke 6:22) "Happy are you whenever men hate you , and whenever they exclude you and reproach you and cast out your name as wicked for the sake of the Son of man.

(James 1:2) Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you meet with various trials,

(1 Peter 4:14) If you are being reproached for the name of Christ you are happy, because the [spirit] of glory, even the spirit of God, is resting upon you .
"All those desiring to live with godly devotion in association with Christ Jesus will also be persecuted."—2 Timothy 3:12

What is amazing about all these Beatitudes is that they are in direct opposition to what the "world" would consider the right state of mind.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." ("Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." - Proverbs 18:18

"Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted." ("Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better...For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool: this also is vanity.
" - Eccl. 7:3, 6)

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." ("The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts." - Psalms 10:4)

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." ("Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied." - Proverbs 27:20)

7Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you

Concerning his followers, Jesus also said: "You are the salt of the earth." (Matthew 5:13) By saying this, Jesus did not mean that his disciples literally were salt. Rather, salt is a preservative, and the message that Jesus’ followers carried to the people would preserve the lives of many. Indeed, his disciples had a preserving influence upon those who listened to their message, preventing spiritual and moral decay among such individuals. There was no question about the fact that the good news declared by Jesus’ followers would preserve life.—Acts 5:20; 13:46-48.
Remember that just after Jesus said, "You are the salt of the earth," he added: "But if the salt loses its strength, how will its saltness be restored? It is no longer usable for anything but to be thrown outside to be trampled on by men." (Matthew 5:13) Some of the salt used when Jesus was on earth was mixed with foreign matter. so if the pure salt was washed away by rain or in some other way, what was left was fit only to be thrown outside, unless
the salt was kept in the right condition, it could easily become useless

"YOU are the light of the world. A city cannot be hid when situated upon a mountain. matthew 5;14
The exemplary conduct of Christ’s disciples should make them stand out noticeably from among persons who are unacquainted with the Bible’s message
(Philippians 2:15) that YOU may come to be blameless and innocent, children of God without a blemish in among a crooked and twisted generation, among whom YOU are shining as illuminators in the world,
It is not always easy for God’s servants to shine as lights
the changes for the better that a Christian may have made in his life can result in his being reproached. The apostle Peter made this point, saying: "Because you do not continue running with them [worldlings] in this course to the same low sink of debauchery, they are puzzled and go on speaking abusively of you."—1 Pet. 4:4.

Dondi said:
"Blessed are the poor in spirit:
"Blessed are they that mourn:
"Blessed are the meek:
"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness:
Blessed are the merciful:
Blessed are the pure in heart:
Blessed are the peacemakers:
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake:
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you
what they mean... one day if our beliefs and our faith holds true, the lowly category that are ailments, situation, and status are in; we will be exhalted, renewed, reborn, cleansed, and changed forever and these things demonstrate and are for the glory of god, and because of that we worship him for he is great. they also get us thru the day, by putting all our worries and troubles on christ, and he gives us peace knowing that we will be with him one day, for the things on earth will pass away, but with christ we will be forevemore in paradise.

Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth. matthew 5;6

Back