Hinduism on Yahweh and Abrahamic Religions

This is a translated extract, which refers to Jesus (Isa), from the Hindu Scritpture the BHAVISHYA MAHA PURANA the ninth of the eighteen major puranas, said to have been compiled in the year 115 AD.

"Shalivahan, who was a grandson of Bikrama Jit, took over the government. He vanquished the attacking hordes of Chinese, Parthians, Scythians and Bactrians. He drew a border between the Arians and the Mleacha (= non-Hindus), and ordered the latter to withdraw to the other side of India. One day, Shalivahan, the chief ot the Sakyas, went into the Himalayas. There, in the Land of the Hun (= Ladakh, a part of the Kushan empire), the powerful king saw a man sitting on a mountain, who seemed to promise auspiciousness. His skin was fair and he wore white garments.

"The king asked the holy man who he was. The other replied: 'I am called a son of God, born of a virgin, minister of the non-believers, relentless in search of the truth.' The king then asked him: 'What is your religion?' The other replied, 'O great king, I come from a foreign country, where there is no longer truth and where evil knows no bounds. In the land of the non-believers, I appeared as the Messiah. But the demon Ihamasi of the barbarians (dasyu) manifested herself in a terrible form; I was delivered unto her in the manner of the non-believers and ended in Ihamasi's realm.

"'O king, lend your ear to the religion that I brought unto the non-believers: after the purification of the essence and the impure body and after seeking refuge in the prayers of the Naigama, man will pray to the Eternal. Through justice, truth, meditation and unity of spirit, man will find his way to Isa in the center of light. God, as firm as the sun, will finally unite the spirit of all wandering beings in himself. Thus, O king, Ihamasi will be destroyed; and the blissful image if Isa, the giver of happiness, will remain forever in the heart; and I was called Isa-Masih.' After the king heard these words, he took the teacher of the non-believers and sent him to their pitiless land." (verses 16-33 of the third khanda of the Pratisarga parvan of the Bhavishya Mahapurana)

For more info. check: http://www.tombofjesus.com/core/majorplayers/the-tomb/the-tomb-p3.htm

I think there is a similiarity between the names of God YHWH, Yahweh or Jewe and Shiva or Shive or Ishvara which suggests they are the same name.

The misconceptions regarding the nature of God which devotees have attached to the various Names, should not be allowed to detract from the sanctity of the Name, as all Names by which man knows God refer to the Parabrahman which is ultimately beyond name and form.

Namaste InChrist,

InChristAlways said:
I have a question. Do the Hindus read or study the OT in the Bible at all or do they feel the OT/NT is corrupted and false?

Generally speaking, Hindus do not read either from the OT or NT. Most Hindus would say that they respect all religions as different paths leading eventually to the same goal. Now, in newer universalist sects of Hinduism that have arisen in the last 200 years or so, there is an attempt to reconcile the teachings of Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, etc. So, followers of the newer branches do read from various texts of different religions. In particular, they do read from the gospels because these branches believe that Jesus was a yogi and an Avatar-type person. Hindus do not have any generalized consensus on the validity/corruptedness of OT or NT, or scriptures of other religions for that matter.

Regards,
A.

Originally Posted by InChristAlways I have a question. Do the Hindus read or study the OT in the Bible at all or do they feel the OT/NT is corrupted and false?

Agnideva said:
Namaste InChrist,

Generally speaking, Hindus do not read either from the OT or NT. Most Hindus would say that they respect all religions as different paths leading eventually to the same goal. Now, in newer universalist sects of Hinduism that have arisen in the last 200 years or so, there is an attempt to reconcile the teachings of Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, etc. So, followers of the newer branches do read from various texts of different religions. In particular, they do read from the gospels because these branches believe that Jesus was a yogi and an Avatar-type person. Hindus do not have any generalized consensus on the validity/corruptedness of OT or NT, or scriptures of other religions for that matter.

Regards,
A.
I also feel the same way as repecting religions that teach Peace and Love above all else.

I just started reading the Bible about 3 yrs ago, [first book I had read in about 12 years] and one reason I haven't gotten into other religious writings is because I feel I haven't even "scratched the surface" of this Book yet :eek: I read through the NT first before the OT so I don't know if that made a difference or not on in the way I view it, but it made it a lot easier to understand it better I think.

Love and peace to you and yours.
Steve

Genesis 1:1 In [the] beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth-- 2 the earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness [is] on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters, 3 and God saith, `Let light be;' and light is.

Isaiah 65:17 For, lo, I am creating new heavens, and a new earth, And the former things are not remembered, Nor do they ascend on the heart.

[size=+2] Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth did pass away, [/size]

Namaste Samuel,

Yours was an interesting post indeed :). I have come across the same excerpt in an ISKCON site. I would like to share some thoughts, if I may, regarding this particular excerpt and the Bhavishya Purana in general.

This is a translated extract, which refers to Jesus (Isa), from the Hindu Scritpture the BHAVISHYA MAHA PURANA the ninth of the eighteen major puranas, said to have been compiled in the year 115 AD.
Although there is no doubt that this is indeed found in the Bhavishya Purana, what is highly doubtful is the date of its composition. Historians believe that the Puranas were composed between the fourth and the sixteenth centuries CE, and that they were continuously edited, and new information was added into them. Although I cannot provide you with a reference, Bhavishya and Bhagavata Puranas are believed to be the latest ones. Puranas were written as compendiums of all the knowledge in mythic form, and also incorporated folk tales and other stories that were known to their authors. In addition to other subjects, Bhavishya Purana makes reference to Jesus (Isa), Muhammad (Mahamada), Buddha, and Kalki, an avatar to come at the end of Kaliyuga.

"Shalivahan, who was a grandson of Bikrama Jit, took over the government. He vanquished the attacking hordes of Chinese, Parthians, Scythians and Bactrians.
There, in the Land of the Hun (= Ladakh, a part of the Kushan empire), the powerful king saw a man sitting on a mountain, who seemed to promise auspiciousness. His skin was fair and he wore white garments.
"The king asked the holy man who he was. The other replied: 'I am called a son of God, born of a virgin, minister of the non-believers, relentless in search of the truth.' The king then asked him: 'What is your religion?' The other replied, 'O great king, I come from a foreign country, where there is no longer truth and where evil knows no bounds. In the land of the non-believers, I appeared as the Messiah. But the demon Ihamasi of the barbarians (dasyu) manifested herself in a terrible form; I was delivered unto her in the manner of the non-believers and ended in Ihamasi's realm.
King Shalivahana is popular figure in the Hindu world. Although not much is known about him personally, we do know that he ascended the throne of Ujjain in 78 CE. We know this because since the year 78 CE, his reignal year count known as Shalivahana Saka, has been continuously used in the Hindu calendar. The Shalivahana Saka is used throughout South Asia (India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, etc.) and also in Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Cambodia). If we assume that King Shalivahana actually ascended the throne in 78 CE and that dates of Jesus’ birth and crucifixion is roughly 6 BCE and 30 CE, respectively, then we may say that there‘s little chance that they actually met. ;)

Thus, O king, Ihamasi will be destroyed; and the blissful image if Isa, the giver of happiness, will remain forever in the heart; and I was called Isa-Masih.'
I would like to point out here that Isa-al-Masih is the Qur’anic name of Jesus. Also note, as I mentioned above, that the Bhavishya Purana mentions Prophet Muhammed. One has to wonder, therefore, which came first, the Qur’an or Bhavishya Purana? ;)

I personally believe that the Bhavishya Purana is a historically recent text (maybe 1500 CE) and not ancient as we are led to believe. The Bhavishya Purana is supposed to be prophetic in nature, hence the name Bhavishya (future). According to some traditions, all the Puranas were written by Sage Vyasa sometime around 3000 BCE. The reality, however, shows an entirely different picture. The Puranas have multiple authors and were written and edited over a period of more than a millennium. With regards to the Bhavishya Purana, an more apt name may be Bhuta (past) purana, as its contents are, more likely than not, a result of hindsight rather than foresight. The only real prophesy it has is that of the coming of Kalki at the end of the Kaliyuga. This is, of course, my personal opinion, and anyone is free to disagree :).

OM Shanti,
A.

Namaste Agnideva,
I am grateful to you for providing me with an alternative perspective on this information as my source presents it as irrefutable evidence
In contrast to the Gospels, the exact date of this book is clearly known. It was compiled by Sutta in the year 3191 of the Kaukikia Era. That corresponds to the year 115 AD.
I know your right about the Puranas having been added to throughout the ages infact this is encouraged in a passage in the Bhagavata Purana, but I believe their core does stretch back to Vedavyasa and for various reasons I believe in the accuracy of the quoted reference to Isa (Jesus) evan though I now accept it may have been added much later than 115 AD. :)

Agnideva said:

If we assume that King Shalivahana actually ascended the throne in 78 CE and that dates of Jesus’ birth and crucifixion is roughly 6 BCE and 30 CE, respectively, then we may say that there‘s little chance that they actually met. ;)

Unless they met after the cruxifiction, as Jesus is believed by some to have returned to India and to be buried in Srinigar Kashmir. Indeed the described encounter in the Purana, judging by what Jesus says, is supposed to have taken place after the end of his mission in Palestine.

I would like to point out here that Isa-al-Masih is the Qur’anic name of Jesus.
A person believed to be Jesus bearing the name Issa is also recorded as having visited Tibetan monasteries again this may be as the result of hindsight.

Sam.

Namaste Sam,

Thanks for the response.

“In contrast to the Gospels, the exact date of this book is clearly known. It was compiled by Sutta in the year 3191 of the Kaukikia Era. That corresponds to the year 115 AD.”
I think they mean to say the Laukika era. There are two ancient eras used in the Hindu calendar … the era of Kaliyuga which began in 3102 BCE, and the era of the seven sages (Sapta-Rishi) also known as the Laukika era which began in 3077 BCE. It may be interesting to note, particularly because you mention Srinagar in your message, that the Sapta-Rishi/Laukika era is used almost exclusively in Kashmir.

I know your right about the Puranas having been added to throughout the ages in fact this is encouraged in a passage in the Bhagavata Purana, but I believe their core does stretch back to Vedavyasa
The core of the Puranas may very well go back to Vedavyasa, as the core of the Mahabharata (the 8800 verse version called ‘Jaya’) certainly does. Historians are of the opinion that first version of the Mahabharata can be dated to before 400 BCE, and the earliest of the Puranas, such as Matsya Purana, can be dated roughly to 300 CE. Then again, as the Puranas themselves depict, they were dialogs between sages, and they may have been recorded down much later and continually added to over the ages.
for various reasons I believe in the accuracy of the quoted reference to Isa (Jesus) evan though I now accept it may have been added much later than 115 AD.
Jesus is believed by some to have returned to India and to be buried in Srinigar Kashmir. Indeed the described encounter in the Purana, judging by what Jesus says, is supposed to have taken place after the end of his mission in Palestine.
Perhaps Isa did visit! :) Please note that it was never my intention to refute the Jesus-in-India theory. Jesus may very well have visited the East and learned from Hindus and Buddhists before he began his ministry. I don’t think we will ever know for certain. It may just have to remain a mystery ;).

Regards,
A.

Back