Semantics

9Harmony

goin' with the flow...
Reaction score
I believe most of the issues between the different religions would be rectified if we could realize and embrace one possibility.

All of the religions have been around for hundreds of years. All of the scriptures have been through countless revisions through the years. I have learned through the study of my own religion that the Word of God is incorruptible. The true essence of it will shine through. And the Word of God is precise.

But man is not precise, even though we may honestly try, through centuries, things get tarnished.

The scriptures of my Faith were written down in Arabic and Farsi. And those responsible for translating them into English spent years of painstaking work, because words can have many different meanings and as in the case of translating from Arabic to English, the English language does not contain some words that are used in the original Arabic text. So the English translation is not precisely what was originally written. Which obviously will change the meaning slightly. Fortunately, we have this understanding built into our teachings. We understand that the version we read in English is slightly different than the original. Yet, my religion is only 162 years old, and still has the originals themselves as well as the original translations.

Now consider the fact that most religions have gone through this process numerous times, by generation after generation, over the course of hundreds or thousands of years, these things just happen. It's human.

So a word gets changed a little here and there through the centuries. And over the length of time we're talking, maybe 3 or 4 in a sentence may get slightly altered from their original. And then add the fact that some of the newer translations were translated from translations. So the original Word is tarnished a little more.

It is nobody's fault, it is just what happens over time with everything. And it won't make that much of a difference when it's just 'thees and thous' we're talking about, but if this happens to an important key word, then quite possibly we will be unable to see the truth through the dross of what time has done. Another important factor to consider is that the language of God is clothed in human language, human language is wholely inadequate and cannot convey God in all His majesty, but God utilizes the tools available to us.

If we can realize that when we focus on key words which seem to be definitely saying one thing, it's quite possible that our understanding could be flawed by these innocent mistakes of generations past. If we can turn our focus towards the common features of each religion then we can begin to see a glimmer of the same truths enshrined within each. This should be our starting point, this is where God in His infinite wisdom has given us the gift of discerning truth from falsehood. If they all seem to say the same thing, there must be something more to it.

If we can take this into consideration when we read our own scriptures, maybe we can begin to see the truth shine through once more. But it does require a measure of detachment on our part, we can become so attached to our preconceived ideas that it's hard to let go, but i believe once we are able to do that, glimmers of truth will be readily available to each of us.

Have a wonderful weekend!

-Amy

9Harmony said:
I believe most of the issues between the different religions would be rectified if we could realize and embrace one possibility.

If we can realize that when we focus on key words which seem to be definitely saying one thing, it's quite possible that our understanding could be flawed by these innocent mistakes of generations past. If we can turn our focus towards the common features of each religion then we can begin to see a glimmer of the same truths enshrined within each. This should be our starting point, this is where God in His infinite wisdom has given us the gift of discerning truth from falsehood. If they all seem to say the same thing, there must be something more to it.

If we can take this into consideration when we read our own scriptures, maybe we can begin to see the truth shine through once more. But it does require a measure of detachment on our part, we can become so attached to our preconceived ideas that it's hard to let go, but i believe once we are able to do that, glimmers of truth will be readily available to each of us.

-Amy

amy - this is a wonderful thought and I agree that semantics is a problem as is translation .... but you have started with a premise that "god in his infinite wisdom has given us the gift of discerning truth from falsehood" and "we can embrace one possibility" .... but your one possibility seems to be centered on first and foremost a belief in god .... you have already excluded the possibility that other forms of spirituality may not be part of this truth if that form of spirituality doesn't include god .... how open are each of us to seeing glimmers of truth depends a lot on our preconceived ideas, starting with the idea of god..... this site on comparative-religions opens many doors of thought, which i deeply appreciate, but many are discussions that are like spirals within spirals and touch once in awhile, but spin off in their own directions again .... I love your thought that we could embrace one possibility, but I think that one possibility should include all spiritual paths .... and that would go outside of realm of translation of scriptures .... I use the word god at times, at times I use great spirit, at times I use universal consciousness, at times I use simply "us", and most of the time there is no word to describe what I believe the underlying link is between all of us and how to change our future .... he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

Thus the emphasis, both literal and metaphoric, on Silence in almost all of the at least mystical elements of nearly every religion:) "Be still and know." Take care, Earl

pohaikawahine said:
amy - this is a wonderful thought and I agree that semantics is a problem as is translation .... but you have started with a premise that "god in his infinite wisdom has given us the gift of discerning truth from falsehood" and "we can embrace one possibility" .... but your one possibility seems to be centered on first and foremost a belief in god .... you have already excluded the possibility that other forms of spirituality may not be part of this truth if that form of spirituality doesn't include god .... how open are each of us to seeing glimmers of truth depends a lot on our preconceived ideas, starting with the idea of god..... this site on comparative-religions opens many doors of thought, which i deeply appreciate, but many are discussions that are like spirals within spirals and touch once in awhile, but spin off in their own directions again .... I love your thought that we could embrace one possibility, but I think that one possibility should include all spiritual paths .... and that would go outside of realm of translation of scriptures .... I use the word god at times, at times I use great spirit, at times I use universal consciousness, at times I use simply "us", and most of the time there is no word to describe what I believe the underlying link is between all of us and how to change our future .... he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

Thank you pohaikawahine!

Yes, my apologies. I do believe that all paths which lead us to a better understanding of our spiritual selves are valid, whether they include a concept of God or not.

When I say 'God', it is simply a word to describe the indescribable. Whether you see it as the Creator, the Great Spirit, Universal Consciousness, or the energy which exists in all things. I think we are all describing the same thing. And the semantics of this one word can tend to alienate some, that is not my intent.

I just think all of us need to broaden our vision, and realize that we are all on the same journey, which takes many different forms.

Have a great day!

Hi Saponification,

Saponification said:
What if the religion you follow has nothing to do with the Word of God(s)?

Regardless of what religion, semantics can still prevent others to misunderstand what you are trying to convey. So it still is relevant imho.

Have a nice evening!

-Amy

Hey, what happened to the "glorious tapestry of His grand design?" Now it's all just semantics? :(

lunamoth

9Harmony said:

All of the religions have been around for hundreds of years. All of the scriptures have been through countless revisions through the years. I have learned through the study of my own religion that the Word of God is incorruptible. The true essence of it will shine through. And the Word of God is precise.

But man is not precise, even though we may honestly try, through centuries, things get tarnished.

The scriptures of my Faith were written down in Arabic and Farsi. And those responsible for translating them into English spent years of painstaking work, because words can have many different meanings and as in the case of translating from Arabic to English, the English language does not contain some words that are used in the original Arabic text. So the English translation is not precisely what was originally written. Which obviously will change the meaning slightly. Fortunately, we have this understanding built into our teachings. We understand that the version we read in English is slightly different than the original. Yet, my religion is only 162 years old, and still has the originals themselves as well as the original translations.

Now consider the fact that most religions have gone through this process numerous times, by generation after generation, over the course of hundreds or thousands of years, these things just happen. It's human.

So a word gets changed a little here and there through the centuries. And over the length of time we're talking, maybe 3 or 4 in a sentence may get slightly altered from their original. And then add the fact that some of the newer translations were translated from translations. So the original Word is tarnished a little more.

It is nobody's fault, it is just what happens over time with everything. And it won't make that much of a difference when it's just 'thees and thous' we're talking about, but if this happens to an important key word, then quite possibly we will be unable to see the truth through the dross of what time has done. Another important factor to consider is that the language of God is clothed in human language, human language is wholely inadequate and cannot convey God in all His majesty, but God utilizes the tools available to us.

Hi 9Harmony!

I believe that this very thread proves exactly what you have tried to say. It appears that we, as a "society", just cannot get past the limits of language. LOL--just read back over it all--

Excellent.

Oh, yeah--and I like the following (for some reason, it gets past the semantics):

lunamoth said:
Hey, what happened to the "glorious tapestry of His grand design?"

(Okay, well not "He" for those so concerned....:))

<sigh> Great question and thread--wish I had more time on here these days!

InPeace,
InLove

lunamoth said:
Hey, what happened to the "glorious tapestry of His grand design?" Now it's all just semantics? :(

lunamoth

Hi luna!

i still believe that statement. this tapestry is unfolding as we speak. The semantics issues i mention are one of the things that prevent us from being able to see this glorious tapestry at times.

<sigh> again, I apologize if i inadvertantly offended you. :confused:

Have a great day!

-Amy

InLove said:
Hi 9Harmony!

I believe that this very thread proves exactly what you have tried to say. It appears that we, as a "society", just cannot get past the limits of language. LOL--just read back over it all--

Excellent.

<sigh> Great question and thread--wish I had more time on here these days!

InPeace,
InLove

Hi InLove,

Thank you so much! I'm glad what i said makes sense to someone. :D

Have a great day!

-Amy

9Harmony said:
Hi luna!

i still believe that statement. this tapestry is unfolding as we speak. The semantics issues i mention are one of the things that prevent us from being able to see this glorious tapestry at times.

<sigh> again, I apologize if i inadvertantly offended you. :confused:

Have a great day!

-Amy

Hi Amy,

You have not offended me in any way!

While I agree that all language falls short of expressing the timeless experience of the Divine, to say that all of the differences between religions is just a case of semantics and not seeing the forest for the trees devalues the millenia of religious thought and philosophy that are the foundation of faith and/or spiritual practice for billions of people.

Yes, I like the idea of His Grand tapestry where the fabric is held together by our common beliefs and most especially by love, yet the pattern is brilliant because of the many colors of the different religions and also those who do not see themselves as part of any organized religion.

I agree that to build God's Kingdom we need to reach out to each other from behind our walls of doctrine and beliefs, but I don't think that the way to do this is with a one-size-fits-all religion:

amy said:

Amy, I appreciate your threads.

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Hi Amy,

You have not offended me in any way!

While I agree that all language falls short of expressing the timeless experience of the Divine, to say that all of the differences between religions is just a case of semantics and not seeing the forest for the trees devalues the millenia of religious thought and philosophy that are the foundation of faith and/or spiritual practice for billions of people.

Yes, I like the idea of His Grand tapestry where the fabric is held together by our common beliefs and most especially by love, yet the pattern is brilliant because of the many colors of the different religions and also those who do not see themselves as part of any organized religion.

I agree that to build God's Kingdom we need to reach out to each other from behind our walls of doctrine and beliefs, but I don't think that the way to do this is with a one-size-fits-all religion:

Amy, I appreciate your threads.

lunamoth

Hi lunamoth,

Thank you!

Oh good! I'm glad, i do not wish to offend any heart.

I agree there is room for all within this tapestry. There has to be, we are all a part of it. I agree the diversity of our beliefs adds to the color and complexity of this glorious world.

and i am not trying in any way to devalue the foundation of any religious or secular traditions, i am basically just offering a starting point to see if all of our beliefs can converge on some common ground, so that we can all appreciate the various traditions in light of this possibility. It is definitely not intended to be a catch all, but rather a starting point for discussion.

Have a great day!

-Amy

Back