Interfaith Ki Teitzei

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Chapt 25

5. If brothers reside together, and one of them dies having no son, the dead man's wife shall not marry an outsider. [Rather,] her husband's brother shall be intimate with her, making her a wife for himself, thus performing the obligation of a husband's brother with her. 6. And it will be, that the eldest brother [who performs the levirate marriage, if] she [can] bear will succeed in the name of his deceased brother, so that his [the deceased brother's] name shall not be obliterated from Israel. 7. But if the man does not wish to take his brother's wife, the brother's wife shall go up to the gate, to the elders, and say, "My husband's brother has refused to perpetuate his brother's name in Israel he does not wish to perform the obligation of a husband's brother with me." 8. Then the elders of his city shall call him and speak to him, and he shall stand up and say, "I do not wish to take her." 9. Then his brother's wife shall approach him before the eyes of the elders and remove his shoe from his foot. And she shall spit before his face and answer [him] and say, "Thus shall be done to the man who will not build up his brother's household!" 10. And that family shall be called in Israel, "The family of the one whose shoe was removed."

Im thinking about this from a womans point of view and how I think the culture may have been when it was written.. When a man took a woman to wife he was committed to caring for her for her whole life.. If that man died and was unable to care for her then the responsibility falls on the mans brother.. The same would go for the dead brothers property.. It falls to the brother so that the wealth stays in the family.. Women I think were considered wealth. If we look at Rebekah and Isaac and all that he did to claim her.. you can see how precious women are. She helped create the entirety of Gods chosen people... Thats a pretty massive thing in my eyes.

Is it ok to reference other scripture as long as it is in the Torah?

faithfulservant, I explain in the rules, which I suggest everyone read if you haven't, that you can reference any scripture if it relates in some way to the text, including non-Abrahamic scriptures. The only copying that is not acceptable is if you were to copy somebody else's explanation of the text. But using your own words to explain what a commentator said is perfectly okay. In order to balance all of that, I set an outright ban on any proselytizing or putting down of other groups. I also said if any background's voice begins to dominate, there may be moderator intervention. It's all in the rules.

So, to everyone, why do they use a shoe? Who removes a shoe? I mean really. I don't have an answer. I'm just looking for answers.

If there is anything you saw in the text you wanted to bring to the group, now would be a wonderful time for such a thing to happen.

Dauer

dauer said:
So, to everyone, why do they use a shoe? Who removes a shoe? I mean really. I don't have an answer. I'm just looking for answers.

this will sound really strange but it brings back a memory .... once i was in las vegas, nevada (gambling mecca) on business and i took a taxi back to the airport .... i had enough money to pay for the taxi (because i lost most of it at the slot machines .... during the time i wasn't involved in my business) and i asked him what did they do if they took someone all the way to the airport and then found out they didn't have enough money to pay .... he said that he takes one shoe and holds it until the person sends the money to pay the debt or that person will simply have to toss away his/her other shoe if they don't want to pay .... and shoes these days are expensive .....i did by the way pay my taxi bill ...

does the taking of a shoe leave a man vulnerable in some way, or it might be connected with the concept of humbleness as the 'washing of one's feet' ??? i don't have an answer either, just some observations to share....aloha nui, poh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back